The Jim Boeheim Show - before Wake Forest | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show - before Wake Forest

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Carrabba's Italian Grill in Fayetteville. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

This year’s schedule: Tuesday, November 12, 7:00 pm, Tuesday, November 19, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 5, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 12, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 19, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 26, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 2, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 9, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 16, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 23, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 30, 7:00 pm, Thursday, February 6, 7:00 pm, Monday, February 13, 7:00 pm, Thursday, February 20, 7:00 pm, Thursday, February 27, 7:00 pm,
Thursday, March 5, 7:00 pm.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | NFL, Sports, Podcasts, Music & News

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

First Hour:

“Coach, after the Duke game I posted to our fan forum that Joe Girard had had quite a game: 17 points 7 assists, 1 turnover, 4 rebounds and 4 assists with Tre Jones guarding. Another poster found this take “hilarious” and said “Those of us who were there know what a bad game he had”, citing some defensive lapses and long range bricks. He said that the numbers in the box score are deceiving. Well, I was there and I noticed that you were there, too. What is your assessment of Joe’s performance in that game and how relevant are the stats in the box score in evaluating a player?”

Second Hour:

“Coach, over the first 17 game we shot 37% from three point range. Over the last 5 games it’s been 27%. I realize that the option is trying to take away the three point shot but is something really a strength if the other team can just decide to take it away? How can we get out three point game going again?”

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning. In recent years they have started out doing one hour shows and then shifted to two hour shows in January. When they do two hour shows. I might do two posts: one on the night of the broadcast on the issues directly relating to the team on the other the next days on other things that were talked about.)

On the week off: “I hope we’re getting better. We can rest, get some bruises healed and work on certain things you don’t get a chance to work on when you play 7 games in 21 days. “

Against Duke, “We didn’t shoot well enough to win. We still scored 88 points. We just couldn’t stop Carey and the other big guy, (Matthew Hurt), who got 40 points against us. Our offense was very good considering we haven’t shot it well from three in recent games. It’s bene a difficult year due to the easy baskets we give up inside. A couple of losses were due to tough threes the other team made that hurt us. Prentice hub has 6 threes against us and didn’t do anything else against anybody else. Alex O’Connell of Duke had his third straight double figure game against us.

I called in my 1st question, which was as provocative as I’d hoped. “Joe’s numbers were good. Jones is the best defensive guard in the conference. He didn’t shoot great but neither did the team. 3 of 10 from three isn’t bad. It’s the equivalent of 46%-47% from 2.” (Or 45%) “6 of 8 free throws is bad for him but good for anybody else. His defense wasn’t bad. Our defense inside hurt. We didn’t give up too much penetration or too many threes.” (6 of 17: 35%) “For a freshman point guard Joe’s numbers are extraordinary.“

“Our offense has been good. Elijah and Marek have been good. Bourama and Marek have done the best they can but they are 208 points and 180 pounds”…Gomez later asked about protein shakes.“ Some guys just don’t gain weight. A lot of guys lose weight during season. Neither is a big eater. He described a player when was 6-10 210 and in a year was 250, (I thought he said Alva Rosina but I don’t know who that is). “Football players do that all the time.”… “Bourama played little his first two years. Quincy is getting better. Playing in Canada is a whole different level than here. He’s worked hard all summer. He’s just not quite ready for major responsibility. I get mad because we want to win.

A box score tells a lot. But it doesn’t say much about defense, about who is at fault when the other team scores. It’s hard for the fan to pinpoint that. I get to look at film on it.

Some people don’t like Joe and won’t give him credit. Maybe they are related to somebody else on the team and want them to play instead. I believe in the first amendment but I think you should put your name to it.” (He tried to pronounce anonymous and anonymity and finally did so with Matt Park’s Help: “I hate those words”.) “Tom Izzo went crazy the other night.
MSU's Izzo rips critics of his players: 'Despicable'
I don’t get bothered. These guys lose all credibility. They just don’t like something and get to say whatever they want and it just flies. When I say something everybody knows who said it. I never liked letter to the editor but at least they make you sign them. If I’m going to criticize a player or coach I’m not going to call myself ‘Anti-Boeheim’ or something like that.”

Matt asked Jim what he tells players about social media. “Put your name to it. There are always going to be people taking shots at you. I don’t listen to that stuff, at least not as much as I used to. “

The subject of losing Mike Hopkins as a recruiter came up. “Carmelo was Tory Weaver’s recruit. Adrian got us CJ Fair and Jerami Grant. I got Hakim Warrick. It’s never been one guy. Hop is good. So were Wayne Morgan and Troy Weaver. Adrian, Alan and Gerry are doing as well as anybody. We’ve not recruited at the level we want to but we’ve recruited at a very good level. We’ve actually had better post season success than in previous seasons. The recruiting weekend went very well but you never know. You never know who will leave. You never know who might transfer.”

Wake Forest’s 4th leading scorer is one of those transfers, Adrian White, Andrew’s brother, who transferred in from Charlotte. Their leading scorer, Brandon Childress, is one of the league’s best players. Oliver Sarr is a 7-0 255 center – still another big guy for us to deal with. “They are capable of beating anybody and have surprised a lot of people. That’s why we have to keep getting better. We can beat any team but any team can beat us….We haven’t played as well as we’d like at home. Marek still has upside. He needs to keep working on his shot. Bourama will get better. the guards will get better.”

North Carolina State, (our next opponent after Wake), is just behind us in the standings, 6-5 vs. 6-6. Matt noted that there are no trips to North Carolina on this year’s schedule, where as last year we played all four North Carolina teams on the road. JB: It’s every other year”.

I called in question #2 about getting our three point game going again. “Steve, the idea is to score enough points to win. We did that against Clemson and we did that against Duke. When they are playing us outside we can score enough points going to the basket. We’re getting pretty good looks at three.” I suggested that if we could go back to hitting 37% of threes with our new-found drives to the basket, we’d be hard to stop. JB: “When they play you tight, you’re not going to shoot 37%. They are playing us so tight that it allows us to drive. We are scoring enough to win.”

On guys jumping too early to the NBA: “Guys have the right to go. They made their choice and have to live with it. Every once in a while a surprise guy makes it big. But it’s harder and harder – the league is getting full. 40 or 50 guys might go but 30 of them aren’t going to make it. They should stay in college get better and get a degree in case it doesn’t work out. I try to tell the kids but they think you are just being negative to keep them here. I don’t like to get into that situation, although I have been in the past.“

Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Carrabba's Italian Grill in Fayetteville. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

This year’s schedule: Tuesday, November 12, 7:00 pm, Tuesday, November 19, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 5, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 12, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 19, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 26, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 2, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 9, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 16, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 23, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 30, 7:00 pm, Thursday, February 6, 7:00 pm, Monday, February 13, 7:00 pm, Thursday, February 20, 7:00 pm, Thursday, February 27, 7:00 pm,

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | NFL, Sports, Podcasts, Music & News

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

First Hour:

“Coach, after the Duke game I posted to our fan forum that Joe Girard had had quite a game: 17 points 7 assists, 1 turnover, 4 rebounds and 4 assists with Tre Jones guarding. Another poster found this take “hilarious” and said “Those of us who were there know what a bad game he had”, citing some defensive lapses and long range bricks. He said that the numbers in the box score are deceiving. Well, I was there and I noticed that you were there, too. What is your assessment of Joe’s performance in that game and how relevant are the stats in the box score in evaluating a player?”

Second Hour:

“Coach, over the first 17 game we shot 37% from three point range. Over the last 5 games it’s been 27%. I realize that the option is trying to take away the three point shot but is something really a strength if the other team can just decide to take it away? How can we get out three point game going again?”

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning. In recent years they have started out doing one hour shows and then shifted to two hour shows in January. When they do two hour shows. I might do two posts: one on the night of the broadcast on the issues directly relating to the team on the other the next days on other things that were talked about.)

On the week off: “I hope we’re getting better. We can rest, get some bruises healed and work on certain things you don’t get a chance to work on when you play 7 games in 21 days. “

Against Duke, “We didn’t shoot well enough to win. We still scored 88 points. We just couldn’t stop Carey and the other big guy, (Matthew Hurt), who got 40 points against us. Our offense was very good considering we haven’t shot it well from three in recent games. It’s bene a difficult year due to the easy baskets we give up inside. A couple of losses were due to tough threes the other team made that hurt us. Prentice hub has 6 threes against us and didn’t do anything else against anybody else. Alex O’Connell of Duke had his third straight double figure game against us.

I called in my 1st question, which was as provocative as I’d hoped. “Joe’s numbers were good. Jones is the best defensive guard in the conference. He didn’t shoot great but neither did the team. 3 of 10 from three isn’t bad. It’s the equivalent of 46%-47% from 2.” (Or 45%) “6 of 8 free throws is bad for him but good for anybody else. His defense wasn’t bad. Our defense inside hurt. We didn’t give up too much penetration or too many threes.” (6 of 17: 35%) “For a freshman point guard Joe’s numbers are extraordinary.“

“Our offense has been good. Elijah and Marek have been good. Bourama and Marek have done the best they can but they are 208 points and 180 pounds”…Gomez later asked about protein shakes.“ Some guys just don’t gain weight. A lot of guys lose weight during season. Neither is a big eater. He described a player when was 6-10 210 and in a year was 250, (I thought he said Alva Rosina but I don’t know who that is). “Football players do that all the time.”… “Bourama played little his first two years. Quincy is getting better. Playing in Canada is a whole different level than here. He’s worked hard all summer. He’s just not quite ready for major responsibility. I get mad because we want to win.

A box score tells a lot. But it doesn’t say much about defense, about who is at fault when the other team scores. It’s hard for the fan to pinpoint that. I get to look at film on it.

Some people don’t like Joe and won’t give him credit. Maybe they are related to somebody else on the team and want them to play instead. I believe in the first amendment but I think you should put your name to it.” (He tried to pronounce anonymous and anonymity and finally did so with Matt Park’s Help: “I hate those words”.) “Tom Izzo went crazy the other night.
I don’t get bothered. These guys lose all credibility. They just don’t like something and get to say whatever they want and it just flies. When I say something everybody knows who said it. I never liked letter to the editor but at least they make you sign them. If I’m going to criticize a player or coach I’m not going to call myself ‘Anti-Boeheim’ or something like that.”

Matt asked Jim what he tells players about social media. “Put your name to it. There are always going to be people taking shots at you. I don’t listen to that stuff, at least not as much as I used to. “

The subject of losing Mike Hopkins as a recruiter came up. “Carmelo was Tory Weaver’s recruit. Adrian got us CJ Fair and Jerami Grant. I got Hakim Warrick. It’s never been one guy. Hop is good. So were Wayne Morgan and Troy Weaver. Adrian, Alan and Gerry are doing as well as anybody. We’ve not recruited at the level we want to but we’ve recruited at a very good level. We’ve actually had better post season success than in previous seasons. The recruiting weekend went very well but you never know. You never know who will leave. You never know who might transfer.”

Wake Forest’s 4th leading scorer is one of those transfers, Adrian White, Andrew’s brother, who transferred in from Charlotte. Their leading scorer, Brandon Childress, is one of the league’s best players. Oliver Sarr is a 7-0 255 center – still another big guy for us to deal with. “They are capable of beating anybody and have surprised a lot of people. That’s why we have to keep getting better. We can beat any team but any team can beat us….We haven’t played as well as we’d like at home. Marek still has upside. He needs to keep working on his shot. Bourama will get better. the guards will get better.”

North Carolina State, (our next opponent after Wake), is just behind us in the standings, 6-5 vs. 6-6. Matt noted that there are no trips to North Carolina on this year’s schedule, where as last year we played all four North Carolina teams on the road. JB: It’s every other year”.

I called in question #2 about getting our three point game going again. “Steve, the idea is to score enough points to win. We did that against Clemson and we did that against Duke. When they are playing us outside we can score enough points going to the basket. We’re getting pretty good looks at three.” I suggested that if we could go back to hitting 37% of threes with our new-found drives to the basket, we’d be hard to stop. JB: “When they play you tight, you’re not going to shoot 37%. They are playing us so tight that it allows us to drive. We are scoring enough to win.”

On guys jumping too early to the NBA: “Guys have the right to go. They made their choice and have to live with it. Every once in a while a surprise guy makes it big. But it’s harder and harder – the league is getting full. 40 or 50 guys might go but 30 of them aren’t going to make it. They should stay in college get better and get a degree in case it doesn’t work out. I try to tell the kids but they think you are just being negative to keep them here. I don’t like to get into that situation, although I have been in the past.“
Thank you for always posting the show.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

First Hour:

Second Hour:

COACH BOEHEIM

I don't say it enough, but our whole community owes you a debt of gratitude for your heroics. Thank you, Steve.

Just start pumping them with horse steroids. theyll get bigger whether or not they want to. legit question here..are steroids even illegal in college basketball?

Here, here! I may not say it every week, but every week I do appreciate that I can come here and get a summary of the show that I am unable to listen to live. Thanks!!!

With regard to this week's, I liked JB's comments on leaving early.

I think the highlighted part is really the crux of the argument at this point. "He's not ready" is BS. The real question is are you going to be able to make enough of a career out of playing professional ball that you won't need that degree that you have the opportunity to get for free.

While everyone can use the degree, if you can turn basketball into 5, 10, 15 years of a career (not sure what the number is and it probably depends on whether its 5 years in the NBA or 5 years in Timbuktuu) then forego the degree and cash in the pro basketball career. I think it may be easier to quantify that in some ways than to figure out whether staying an additional year will help or hurt most guys.

6-11 234. It's probably him. Jim had trouble with "anonymous' and 'anonymity'. Maybe he pronounces Elvir Ovcina as 'Alva Rosina'. :cool:

6-11 234. It's probably him. Jim had trouble with "anonymous' and 'anonymity'. Maybe he pronounces Elvir Ovcina as 'Alva Rosina'. :cool:

Probably didn't have time to get to know Elvir very well with his travels back and forth to Georgia every season.

Here, here! I may not say it every week, but every week I do appreciate that I can come here and get a summary of the show that I am unable to listen to live. Thanks!!!

With regard to this week's, I liked JB's comments on leaving early.

I think the highlighted part is really the crux of the argument at this point. "He's not ready" is BS. The real question is are you going to be able to make enough of a career out of playing professional ball that you won't need that degree that you have the opportunity to get for free.

While everyone can use the degree, if you can turn basketball into 5, 10, 15 years of a career (not sure what the number is and it probably depends on whether its 5 years in the NBA or 5 years in Timbuktuu) then forego the degree and cash in the pro basketball career. I think it may be easier to quantify that in some ways than to figure out whether staying an additional year will help or hurt most guys.

When we were 25-0 in 2014, Michael Carter-Williams was toiling for a Sixer team that lost 24 games in a row. I asked Bud Poliquin if maybe MCW wished he were back at Syracuse. Bud said that all he would have to do is look at hi paycheck. I think year in, everybody who leaves is glad they left. But a poll of SU guys that left early taken when they were, say, age 30+, as to whether they would have been better off staying here to improve their game and get their degree, I wonder what they would say.

It was nice to see his comments about Joe... I thought it was crazy for folks to put so much of the blame on Joe for the loss to Duke. I saw what JB apparently saw: In 40 combined minutes, Carey and DeLaurier were 13-18 from the field and 8-10 from the FT line for 34 points (!) to go along with 21 rebounds (7 on the offensive glass). Duke's ability to dominate on the inside was the biggest difference to me.

A couple of losses were due to tough threes the other team made that hurt us. Prentice hub has 6 threes against us and didn’t do anything else against anybody else. Alex O’Connell of Duke had his third straight double figure game against us.

The only thing I know for certain this season is that JB really HATES Prentiss Hubb and possibly has no idea who he is.

He only seems to know that he hit 6 threes against us, but otherwise, nothing about his season. It was not a not a mind-blowing occurrence. Why does he reference it so often like he fell out of a wheelchair, landed on the court, and went off from three???

Last edited:
PART 2

On the weather: Matt noted that Carrabba’s was mostly empty even though the roads were totally clear. JB: “People think a snowflake is a major storm. 30 years ago, by today’s standards, people would stay home 45 days in a row.”

Around the ACC: Matt: Virginia eeked out a win at Clemson, (51-44). JB: “They just can’t score. Their defense saves them.” NC State beat Miami 83-72. “They’re good but Miami was missing their top two backcourt players….Georgia Tech has some big guys, some 4th year seniors and now they’ve got their point guard. Nobody dominated Virginia Tech until they did it, (76-57).

Around the nation: All Big East ranked teams lost to unranked teams at home. Purdue scored 61 points in one game, (vs. Northwestern’s 58), and then scored that many in a half, (61-36 at halftime vs. our old pals, Iowa, on their way to a 104-68 win). JB: “In the Big 10 there’s a huge difference between being the home team and bring the road team.“ West Virginia “is very physical. They’ve got two 6-10 250 pound monsters. Their perimeter players are getting better. It’s one of Bob Huggins’ better teams.“

Around the NBA: Houston won a game with a small line-up: “Shooting threes, spacing and drives allowed them to win with little guys. They still need an inside guy to get rebounds. Philly helped themselves, (by obtaining Alex Burks and Glenn Robinson III), but they need to get a little more functional….Toronto is really good. The Bucks aren’t a slam dunk. It’s the Lakers and the Clipper sin the west. The NBA has good balance. They are in good shape.”

Dion Waiters “is in the prime of his career. He needs to play to show what he could do. Miami has been a surprise team. Jimmy Butler is probably the league MVP. He’s a tremendous play Pat Riley is one of the best in the business at putting teams together. He’s gotten guys who were out of the league last year and they are playing well. Now they have Andre Iquodala.” And now they don’t have Dion Waiters, who is a Memphis Grizzly. Good NBA teams never seem to want SU players. When they seek to improve they get rid of them.

The women’s team was playing at Boston College, (they won, 89-79 to get back to .500). “Hopefully Tiana Mangakahia will be back next year and they can have a great team.”

On transfers: “There are 400-500 grad transfers a year and many of them don’t play because they are moving up to a higher level of completion hoping to help their career and some of them aren’t good enough for that level. Pittsburgh brought in 4-5 guys who didn’t play.” Regarding the proposal to allow all transfers to play immediately: “I think it will happen but the result will be chaos. You’ll get 1,000 transfers a year. Any player unhappy with the playing time or mad at the coach for yelling at him will transfer. Recruiting will be year around.” I have a feeling that that might be JB’s cue to retire.

On the draft: “There’s no clear cut consensus player of the year. There’s no Zion. Carey is very good but up and down. Jordan Nwora is good but not great. With Baylor, Kansas and Gonzaga – it’s a group thing. No one stands out. There’s no ‘big difference’ player. The NBA is using ‘spacers’: inside/outside guys not guys like Carey. Guys will be drafted on potential.” Jim is always explaining how few opportunities there are in the NBA and how they are drafting on potential. I would think that if there are limited opportunities, they would want guys would could contribute immediately. A partial answer: “There are always surprises. Nobody thought that Step Curry, Klay Thompson, Jimmy Butler, Paul George, Giannis, (he never even attempts the last name- if there was ever an athlete who needed to be known by one name it’s Giannis Antetokounmpo), Kahwi Leonard, etc. were going to be this great.”

On playing abroad: “We have 12 guys in Europe and 6-8 in the G league. Some of them left years ago. Those who play abroad can have a great experience. There are hundreds of American players out there. they can make anywhere from $30-40,000 to a million dollars. Rick Pitino is coaching Wes Johnson and Andy Rautins.”

It’s the 30th anniversary of Loyola Marymount’s great run with Hank Gaithers and Bo Kimble. They averaged 122 points a game for the season and beat defending national champion Michigan in the NCAAs 149-115. “We beat them by 40 points here when they were at USC and then they transferred to Loayla Marymount and made history. They didn’t play any defense. They just shot three pointers and set up with two guys down court for the fast break. They let you score lay-ups. We played Paul Westhead when he was at LaSalle. They shot within 5 seconds and we won by 20. They played no ‘D’ but they ran up and down.”

On lacrosse, which is starting up Friday, is one of Coach Boeheim’s favorite sports – with one exception: “It’s a shame they are so dependent on face-offs. Basketball got rid of center jump a long time ago. I hate it when one team gets 24 and the other team gets 9 and that determines the contest.” When I called in my second question I expressed pleasure that basketball had gotten rid of the center jump after each basket since Bourama is lousy at winning them and coach agreed. I suggest that if they aren’t going to get rid of face-offs, they could borrow another idea from basketball: instead of putting the ball on the ground, throw it into the air. Jim wasn’t ready for that. “I don’t think that would work, either.”

On the Super Bowl: “It was a good game. Mahomes is very good. The game turned when he got that long pass. San Francisco was good but Kansas City made a few more plays.”

On the Mookie Betts trade: “It’s a big shocker to give that guy up. The Yankees look good. I met Aaron Boone at Turning Stone. He’s a very nice guy, very grounded.” Gomez noted that the Red Sox went from 2-1 to win the 2020 World Series to 3-1 and the Dodgers went from 6-1 to 4-1.

Elijah Hughes is a finalist of the Julius Erving award that goes to the nation’s best small forward. “I wish we had more wins to give him a better chance.” A caller said that he had a friend who is now a bartender on Erie Boulevard who guarded Julius Erving the night he scored 36 with 32 rebounds against SU. That’s if ‘guarded’ is the proper word. That’s either somebody in this box score: Syracuse vs UMass February 22 1971
…or a bartender who likes to start conversations by claiming that he was the guy who guarded Dr. J that night.

There’s an article on Syracuse.com about their producer, Paulie Scibilias and his love of driving/fear of flying:
Fear of flying doesn’t ground SU radio team member Paulie Scibilia
“Paulie’s pretty crazy but we had a guy from Connecticut, (Jim ID’d him as Bobby Gilmore two weeks ago), who drove to every game for 35 years. We were out in Arizona and he was there. He went to games in Alabama, Texas and California. They talked about misadventures driving. Paulie once was driving a Cadillac Escalade when a cop pulled him over because he was considering getting one and just wanted to ask about it. Jim: “I never heard of that one.”

The only thing I know for certain this season is that JB really HATES Prentiss Hubb and possibly has no idea who he is.

He only seems to know that he hit 6 threes against us, but otherwise, nothing about his season. It was not a not a mind-blowing occurrence. Why does he reference it so often like he fell out of a wheelchair, landed on the court, and went off from three???

He hates anybody who hit 6 threes against his team. I'll bet Kansas hates GMAC.

Did he address your 2nd question? Or did you get sidetracked with the face-off thing?

Did he address your 2nd question? Or did you get sidetracked with the face-off thing?

From the original post:

"I called in question #2 about getting our three point game going again. “Steve, the idea is to score enough points to win. We did that against Clemson and we did that against Duke. When they are playing us outside we can score enough points going to the basket. We’re getting pretty good looks at three.” I suggested that if we could go back to hitting 37% of threes with our new-found drives to the basket, we’d be hard to stop. JB: “When they play you tight, you’re not going to shoot 37%. They are playing us so tight that it allows us to drive. We are scoring enough to win.”

He hates anybody who hit 6 threes against his team. I'll bet Kansas hates GMAC.

But why does he keep implying he never hits threes and played the game of his lifetime? lololol It's like the 37th week in a row he's referenced how awful this kid is.

He's 55-155 from three this year

He's shooting 37% in conference games. That'd be second best on our team

He was 17-44 in the 6 games leading into our game, and made 5 in one game, and 3 in THREE others leading into our game.

He was 5-10 against UCLA 2 games before our game (that's, hmmmm, 6-5=1, just ONE three less than what he hit against us)

Do we really have no idea who this kid is? It just baffles me that he keeps mentioning this kid in some "what the heck happened that day, that kid sucks" way over and over and over again.

It's akin to some other coach losing a game to us and repeatedly saying for weeks, "that Buddy Boeheim hit 7 threes against us - it's a gosh darn miracle! He doesn't do that! He's never been good this year against anyone!"
I put the gosh darn in there hoping Buddy hits 7 threes against UNC, and Roy Williams ends up saying just that! :)

But why does he keep implying he never hits threes and played the game of his lifetime? lololol It's like the 37th week in a row he's referenced how awful this kid is.

He's 55-155 from three this year

He's shooting 37% in conference games. That'd be second best on our team

He was 17-44 in the 6 games leading into our game, and made 5 in one game, and 3 in THREE others leading into our game.

He was 5-10 against UCLA 2 games before our game (that's, hmmmm, 6-5=1, just ONE three less than what he hit against us)

Do we really have no idea who this kid is? It just baffles me that he keeps mentioning this kid in some "what the heck happened that day, that kid sucks" way over and over and over again.

It's akin to some other coach losing a game to us and repeatedly saying for weeks, "that Buddy Boeheim hit 7 threes against us - it's a gosh darn miracle! He doesn't do that! He's never been good this year against anyone!"
I put the gosh darn in there hoping Buddy hits 7 threes against UNC, and Roy Williams ends up saying just that! :)

I think he looked at the slump afterwards, (7 single digit games including 5 in a row), and hasn't taken another look since.

Great recap, thanks for doing this as always. Was actually curious if a caller was going to bring up K's recent comments on the state of college hoops

I think he looked at the slump afterwards, (7 single digit games including 5 in a row), and hasn't taken another look since.

I just find it funny - not arguing with you (fwiw)!

It just strikes me as soooooooooo bizarre that he keeps referencing it over and over again as some bizarre occurrence this season.

Kid has had six 20+ point games this year already. All of them were against P5 teams!

He shoots threes pretty well, would be second on our team in conference, hits multiple threes (3 or more) in tons of games, and JB just keeps going back to the "this no-name, do nothing loser, hit 6 threes against us and has done nothing all season otherwise!"

It's pretty hilarious to me for some reason. :) I feel like he must really hate Prentiss Hubb! And he should!

I just find it funny - not arguing with you (fwiw)!

It just strikes me as soooooooooo bizarre that he keeps referencing it over and over again as some bizarre occurrence this season.

Kid has had six 20+ point games this year already. All of them were against P5 teams!

He shoots threes pretty well, would be second on our team in conference, hits multiple threes (3 or more) in tons of games, and JB just keeps going back to the "this no-name, do nothing loser, hit 6 threes against us and has done nothing all season otherwise!"

It's pretty hilarious to me for some reason. :) I feel like he must really hate Prentiss Hubb! And he should!
You can interpret it another way--if Hubb had just matched his previous season hgh against us, he would have made one fewer "3", and we win.

You can interpret it another way--if Hubb had just matched his previous season hgh against us, he would have made one fewer "3", and we win.

But it was his high in attempts to - which occurs at times against our zone...he didn't shoot some crazy good percentage! If he was 6-7 or 6-9, I'd get it more!

It's just amusing. I don't know. :)

But it was his high in attempts to - which occurs at times against our zone...he didn't shoot some crazy good percentage! If he was 6-7 or 6-9, I'd get it more!

It's just amusing. I don't know. :)

Call the show and ask JB to give the kid a break.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom