The Kansas Schedule | Syracusefan.com

The Kansas Schedule

jncuse

I brought the Cocaine to the White House
As much as I hate the team, and they certainly have not been top 10 worthy, I do respect the schedule they have played:

Duke - Neutral

Villanova, Wake, UTEP - Atlantis Tourney. Plus they were probably expecting to make the final and play a team like Iowa instead

AT Colorado

AT Florida

New Mexico - Neutral

vs Georgetown

vs San Diego St

I hate Kansas but they have really scheduled well, and I would like to see more teams do this. I would actually like to see the tourney committee specifically note this.

Syracuse is the poster boy for poor scheduling - unfairly, as most other programs do the same thing or worse. Play a few good games on a neutral floor, and maybe a few more good or decent teams, then coast vs sub 100 teams on your home floor.

Kansas is good and will be certainly tournament tested come March. I do think they run of Big 12 titles are coming to an end. Okie St and Baylor will probably finish ahead of them. I couldnt count Self out in March. For as many flameouts he has had (Bucknell and Northern Iowa) he has also made some nice runs.

As much as I hate the team, and they certainly have not been top 10 worthy, I do respect the schedule they have played:

Duke - Neutral

Villanova, Wake, UTEP - Atlantis Tourney. Plus they were probably expecting to make the final and play a team like Iowa instead

AT Colorado

AT Florida

New Mexico - Neutral

vs Georgetown

vs San Diego St

I hate Kansas but they have really scheduled well, and I would like to see more teams do this. I would actually like to see the tourney committee specifically note this.

Syracuse is the poster boy for poor scheduling - unfairly, as most other programs do the same thing or worse. Play a few good games on a neutral floor, and maybe a few more good or decent teams, then coast vs sub 100 teams on your home floor.
I would like to see us schedule more like this, especially when we're really good and when the ACC is going to be weak like it is this year. I know you can't always anticipate all of that, but I miss some of the big name OOC games we used to play outside of the tournaments. Maybe it'll come via our former Big East rivals.

Wow our OOC schedule this year was legit. The ACC is tough enough, we don't need anything more aggressive than what he had this year IMO.

When you schedule ridiculously and win some of the games you are given a break when you lose a couple of games. This team is young and stacked with Joel Embeed(who is going to be a stud NBA player) and Andrew Wiggins(who will be a top 3 NBA pick), and they have a good big guy in Perry Ellis. I want no part of Kansas in our region. If we run into them in National Semifinals or National Championship we can beat them.

Kansas is still my pick to win the Big XII. Oklahoma State will get eaten alive without their big guy being out for the season by Kansas. Baylor is good, but as Dan Dakich said that team is full of guys with potential that get a coach fired. Kansas > Oklahoma State > Baylor.

Imo, Kansas will be a 1-2-3 seed in March(probably a 2 seed and hopefully in the Indianapolis/West regions) and will get bracketed with Missouri for a 2nd round matchup this season while Syracuse will get bracketed with Georgetown.

Kansas like Kentucky has to worry about conference strength when scheduling OOC games. They have to look at the conference strength projection because they are the elite team in their conference which has had some strong teams but are not consistent.

Baylor (12-1) returning most of their team that went 23-14 last year.
Iowa St (13-0) after losing all of their guards from last years team that went 23-12.
Kansas St (11-3) after losing top two scoring guards that went 27-8 last year.
Oklahoma (12-2) after losing losing top three scorers that went 20-12 last year.
Oklahoma State (12-2) returned majority of team that went 24-9 last year.
Texas (11-3) after losing top three scorers that went 16-18 last year.
TCU (9-4) a team that went 11-21 last year.
Texas Tech (8-6) a team that 11-20 last year and a new coach.
West Virginia (9-5) after losing 2 of the top 3 scorers that went 13-19 last year.

Syracuse would have IC games...
Duke*2 - elite team
North Carolina - elite team
Pittsburgh*2- always strong
Notre Dame- always strong
Virginia- supposed to be top 25 team

When you schedule ridiculously and win some of the games you are given a break when you lose a couple of games. This team is young and stacked with Joel Embeed(who is going to be a stud NBA player) and Andrew Wiggins(who will be a top 3 NBA pick), and they have a good big guy in Perry Ellis. I want no part of Kansas in our region. If we run into them in National Semifinals or National Championship we can beat them.

Kansas is still my pick to win the Big XII. Oklahoma State will get eaten alive without their big guy being out for the season by Kansas. Baylor is good, but as Dan Dakich said that team is full of guys with potential that get a coach fired. Kansas > Oklahoma State > Baylor.

Imo, Kansas will be a 1-2-3 seed in March(probably a 2 seed and hopefully in the Indianapolis/West regions) and will get bracketed with Missouri for a 2nd round matchup this season while Syracuse will get bracketed with Georgetown.

kansas will struggle to be a 3 seed at this point.

I never understood why so many people value playing top teams and losing the majority of those games more than playing a solid but not ridiculous schedule and winning most of those games. I would think the latter would be preferable.

Tough schedule

I want no part of them come March. They have an NBA front line that will only get better as the season progresses.

kansas will struggle to be a 3 seed at this point.
They are 9-4 right now and if they go 14-4 in conference play that is 23-8 without their conference tournament. In 2010-2011 season Syracuse went 26-7 and was given a 3 seed. You don't think Kansas can go 17-4 to end the season? Because honestly I don't see them losing a conference home game, the only tough road games will be @Oklahoma, @Oklahoma State,
@Baylor, @Iowa State, @Kansas State and MAYBE @Texas, and I don't seem losing all of those road games. They are going to sweep TCU, West Virginia, Texas Tech. I see them finishing at worse 14-4.

Somewhat speaking of this topic, Pomeroy had an interesting blog post about "top 50 wins" and how the difficulty of games can vary depending on where you play.
http://kenpom.com/blog/index.php/weblog/entry/fairness_in_quality_wins

Tl; dr version:
Using pomeroy's win % (which sure aren't perfect, but close enough to make the point), the 30th ranked team in his systme will have a roughly 60% chance of beating the 20th rated team if the game is at home. For a neutral site, they would have the same% chance of beating the 50th ranked team, and on the road, the 73rd team.

So basically a road win against the 70th team is roughly similar to a home win against the 25th team, but obviously when it comes to NCAA selection, no one really thinks this way.

btw, we have a pretty perfect illustration of this; right now we are 66% to beat Pitt at home (Pomeroy's system loves Pitt, they are 8th) and 68% to win @ Maryland, who is 64th.

s.Kansas like Kentucky has to worry about conference strength when scheduling OOC game They have to look at the conference strength projection because they are the elite team in their conference which has had some strong teams but are not consistent.

Baylor (12-1) returning most of their team that went 23-14 last year.
Iowa St (13-0) after losing all of their guards from last years team that went 23-12.
Kansas St (11-3) after losing top two scoring guards that went 27-8 last year.
Oklahoma (12-2) after losing losing top three scorers that went 20-12 last year.
Oklahoma State (12-2) returned majority of team that went 24-9 last year.
Texas (11-3) after losing top three scorers that went 16-18 last year.
TCU (9-4) a team that went 11-21 last year.
Texas Tech (8-6) a team that 11-20 last year and a new coach.
West Virginia (9-5) after losing 2 of the top 3 scorers that went 13-19 last year.

Syracuse would have IC games...
Duke*2 - elite team
North Carolina - elite team
Pittsburgh*2- always strong
Notre Dame- always strong
Virginia- supposed to be top 25 team

The Big 12 is either the 1st or 2nd best conference this year. Perhaps a couple of teams in conference have overachieved, but I'm pretty sure their scheduling philosophy was designed for the long haul, especially given the fact that they have 0 returning starters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom