The Knicks can now officially "Choke for Okafor" | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The Knicks can now officially "Choke for Okafor"

I think Towns has the bigger upside, plus Okafor's body worries me a little, if he has some extra weight on him now, what is he going to look like a few years from now when he already has millions in the bank?

I really really liked Winslow as a college player. May have been my favorite non-SU player this season. Don't like him near as much as an NBA player. He's a 6'6" power forward. I see him as a Corliss Williamson type. Maybe Michael Kidd Gilchrist. A 10-11 ppg scorer and average to below average defender. I wouldn't take him in the top 10. WCS will be a great defender. And he can dunk. But he's not a great rebounder for his size. Another wasted pick if he goes top 10. Mudiay? SWho knows. But I do think Russell will be the next elite scorer.

According to Frank Isola, the Knicks are pretty much a lock to sign Greg Monroe. Not sure what that means for the draft.

If they get the first pick, tough to not take who I think they appear to like the most (Towns). If they get #2, not sure that Okafor fits what they're looking for defensively. How about this, trade the pick for multiple picks and get Monroe in free agency.

According to Frank Isola, the Knicks are pretty much a lock to sign Greg Monroe. Not sure what that means for the draft.

Not sure at all what to make of this. Monroe is definitely a good offensive player, but not much of a defensive player. If they draft Towns/Okafor, not sure the way to go in this day and age is with Melo at the 3 and 2 guys who wont space the court much at the 4/5.

Not sure at all what to make of this. Monroe is definitely a good offensive player, but not much of a defensive player. If they draft Towns/Okafor, not sure the way to go in this day and age is with Melo at the 3 and 2 guys who wont space the court much at the 4/5.
Completely agree.

If they go with Monroe, I would hope its to play the 5 and they don't draft Okafor. Towns maybe.

Okafor would obviously be a great pick up but whoever selects him will need a decent back up at center as the kid always seems to need a blow every 6-7 minutes.

Meanwhile the Knicks are blowing the top spot (most ping pong balls ) in the draft lottery by winning a few completely meaningless games lately while the T-Wolves are losing all of their games. Now they are tied for worst record after the Knicks won Saturday night in Orlando. I'd fire Derek Fisher for sheer stupidity. He was jubilant after the win. Does this guy not see the big picture. He easily could have found a way to lose that game without it being too obvious. Moron.

That's why I'm personally not a fan of signing Monroe. I think the draft takes place before free agency anyways, so if the Knicks get a top 2 pick and get one of the centers, they can focus their free agency money elsewhere, or at least focus on a frontcourt mate that fits with Towns/Okafor better. Monroe isn't that guy IMO. I'd be much more interested in Millsap unless the Knicks just want to get younger.

Monroe is tough to get a frontcourt mate to match with because he's not a good defender/rim protector, and he also doesn't help space the floor. So the ideal frontcourt mate is a guy like Ibaka (or potentially a guy like Towns) that can bring some rim protection along with some spacing, but guys like that are pretty rare.

The Knicks have to be the dumbest team. All they have to do is lose a few more games to give themselves a better chance at the top pick, and they go on a winning streak.

The Knicks have to be the dumbest team. All they have to do is lose a few more games to give themselves a better chance at the top pick, and they go on a winning streak.
This might actually be a good year to have the number two. Less pressure on who to select.

Knicks have gone from a 25% chance to win the lottery down to 20% and if they beat Detroit on Wednesday and Philly loses they will have an 18% chance to win the lottery. If the Knicks don't get a top 2 pick this draft Towns or Okafor a Knick fan is going to Nancy Kerrigan Langston Galloway.

This might actually be a good year to have the number two. Less pressure on who to select.
I thought about that, but I think you want the most ping pong balls as possible so that you almost definitely get a top two pick. Plus, try to get the number one pick, and if you don't want either Okafor or Towns, trade down and pick up some more picks or players.

They can't even tank it the right way, what a mess.

IMO winning these 3 late totally meaningless games that will lessen the NYK chances of getting the 1st or 2nd pick in the draft casts doubt on the leadership of the Jackson-Fisher management team. An entire season of pain is now being needlessly wasted as their draft prospects worsen. Everybody knows the T-Wolves, 76ers, Lakers, Knicks have tanked the 2nd half of their seasons to try to get the top pick. Fisher could have made subtle moves during these games to get the right result...instead he is jubilant about these foolish wins. The Knicks are sooo inept they can't even lose well to win the bigger picture. Incredible.

Knicks have gone from a 25% chance to win the lottery down to 20% and if they beat Detroit on Wednesday and Philly loses they will have an 18% chance to win the lottery. If the Knicks don't get a top 2 pick this draft Towns or Okafor a Knick fan is going to Nancy Kerrigan Langston Galloway.
well, if they dont get either the 1st or 2nd pick...this Knicks fan is going to do a lot more than just kerrigan a few players...

the ineptitude knows no bounds...

Completely agree.

If they go with Monroe, I would hope its to play the 5 and they don't draft Okafor. Towns maybe.

Man if Monroe is playing the 5 it's gonna be layup city though. Also if you have the #1 pick (and dammit after last night) you gotta take the guy you think is the best player, you can't let potentially signing Greg Monroe box you into picking someone.

Monroe is tough to get a frontcourt mate to match with because he's not a good defender/rim protector, and he also doesn't help space the floor. So the ideal frontcourt mate is a guy like Ibaka (or potentially a guy like Towns) that can bring some rim protection along with some spacing, but guys like that are pretty rare.

I also think Melo is a 4 long term now. I don't like the spacing of lineups with Monroe and say Towns or Okafor with Melo at the 3.

Man if Monroe is playing the 5 it's gonna be layup city though. Also if you have the #1 pick (and dammit after last night) you gotta take the guy you think is the best player, you can't let potentially signing Greg Monroe box you into picking someone.

I also think Melo is a 4 long term now. I don't like the spacing of lineups with Monroe and say Towns or Okafor with Melo at the 3.
Are they serious with this winning streak!? Unreal.

There is a part of me that thinks Mudiay is benefiting from not playing college ball and having so many eyes on him that can pick apart every flaw he has.
Towns was a good "shot" for the "3" when he was in high school ! He would have scored a lot more with any of the other top twenty teams.

I doubt Towns will ever be the scorer Okafor will be (he's probably going to be an elite NBA scorer within two years) but I think Towns can develop into a really effective scoring big man in a few years.

What are the Knicks without a Georgetown big man to dislike?

It's a better idea than what they have now. But I still don't get why the NBA is the only major sport that feels it needs a lottery instead of just picking in progression of worst record. No other sport feels there is an excessive risk of tanking. What's so special about the NBA? And I can't see at all giving a team with a .500 or above record ANY chance of getting the 1st or 2nd pick in the draft ahead of teams with .200 winning percentages. Nuts.

It's a better idea than what they have now. But I still don't get why the NBA is the only major sport that feels it needs a lottery instead of just picking in progression of worst record. No other sport feels there is an excessive risk of tanking. What's so special about the NBA? And I can't see at all giving a team with a .500 or above record ANY chance of getting the 1st or 2nd pick in the draft ahead of teams with .200 winning percentages. Nuts.

In the NBA the value of a superstar is higher than in any other sport (with the exception of NFL QB I guess)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom