The love affair with Duce at safety | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The love affair with Duce at safety

here goes-
Duce is playing safety because he is a good college football player.

Not great. Good.

You include Cisco and Donavan Darius as your comparison. Darius may be the best safety we’ve ever had. Cisco had one good year. You throw in trill who was a great athlete and now looking to get into the WWE.

He played well Friday night. Buxton too. Neither has top end speed but both can tackle. I really don’t know what you’re looking for here. I think you need to look around the college football world. That receiver from Stanford is a nfl player.

here goes-

Not great. Good.
I see an average player who is prone to take bad angles in run support. But to be fair the entire defense is having issues for a multitude of reasons. I’ll back off Duce.

But I also wouldn’t use Stanford as a sign the defense is stepping up. They have 1 very good player and if we had any ability to set the edge, limit yards after first contact, or get pressure they would’ve folded. Clemson will show us just how “good” Stanford is next week.

Last edited:
Every team has that QB that we worry about running and we dont play down hill only a few times a game.

We dont have an edge rush game and that makes it hard to only rush 4 most of the time.

For all the speed we added we still seem to be slow all over the field.

The defense had 19 pts against and didn’t give up a TD drive after the first quarter. They did their job overall. The game shouldn’t have been close.
Well, they didn’t break but they bent a ton.

here goes-

Not great. Good.

You include Cisco and Donavan Darius as your comparison. Darius may be the best safety we’ve ever had. Cisco had one good year. You throw in trill who was a great athlete and now looking to get into the WWE.

He played well Friday night. Buxton too. Neither has top end speed but both can tackle. I really don’t know what you’re looking for here. I think you need to look around the college football world. That receiver from Stanford is a nfl player.
And Darius played with another great safety. If Fran ever gets 2 safties like Darius and Jones with the other talent like it looks he can attract. We are in the playoffs with a chance to win.

Well, they didn’t break but they bent a ton.
Lowest yds allowed this year, lowest points against the defense, lowest passing yds allowed, less than 5 yds per attempt, the defense for the game was fine. The OL performance is the whole story.

They didn’t bend a ton.

Lowest yds allowed this year, lowest points against the defense, lowest passing yds allowed, less than 5 yds per attempt, the defense for the game was fine. The OL performance is the whole story.

They didn’t bend a ton.
No doubt the OL was the worst part of it Go but come on. Stanford ran for 173 at 5.4 per rush and held the ball 5 or 6 minutes longer. That has to be better.

here goes-

Not great. Good.

Dreaming and wishing here. What an addition all three - Darius, Cisco and Williams would be to the current DB'field.

Cisco had two good years and then went to the Jags. 4.39 40

Darius had a great 9 year NFL career. He was selected by the Jacksonville Jaguars 25th overall in the 1998 NFL Draft, and played for nine seasons with the team. He played for the Miami Dolphins in 2007. He played college football at Syracuse.

Darius played for two years at Highland Regional High School in Blackwood, New Jersey before transferring for the start of his junior year. Darius is a graduate of Woodrow Wilson High School in Camden New Jersey. 4.6 40

Darius played at Syracuse University, setting the team record for tackles by a defensive back with 379. He was a Big East All-Conference player in 1995 and 1996, and also lettered in indoor and outdoor hurdles, graduating in 1997 with a degree in exercise science and a minor in coaching.
Darius was selected in the first round with the 25th overall pickin the 1998 NFL Draft by the Jacksonville Jaguars, then the highest pick ever by the team for a defensive back. He was the sixth defensive back selected, behind Tebucky Jones, and others. He was named to the All-Rookie team and led Jaguar defensive backs with 108 tackles in 14 games. In 1999, he switched to strong safety and continued to sharpen his skills as a defensive force.

In 2004, Darius led the secondary in tackles for a seventh straight season and posted career highs in forced fumbles and interceptions. His season-ending injury in 2005 stopped his consecutive start streak at 37.

Career NFL statistics
Career highlights and awards
  • PFWA ALL Rookie Team (1998)
  • First-team All-American (1997)
  • Big East Defensive Player of the Year (1997)
  • 2× All-Big Eastt (1995-1996)
Total Tackles:631
Sacks:2.0
Forced Fumbles:7
Fumble Recoveries:6
Pass deflctions:46
Interceptions:14
Defensive Touchdowns:1

Jaguars' Andre Cisco Named Contract Year Breakout Candidate

CBS has Andre Cisco as one of five candidates to cash in on a contract year.

John Shipley | May 25, 2024

Jacksonville Jaguars safety Andre Cisco (5) runs onto the field before an NFL football matchup Sunday, Oct. 15, 2023 at EverBank Stadium in Jacksonville, Fla. The Jacksonville Jaguars defeated the Indianapolis Colts 37-20. [Corey Perrine/Florida Times-Union]

Jacksonville Jaguars safety Andre Cisco (5) runs onto the field before an NFL football matchup Sunday, Oct. 15, 2023 at EverBank Stadium in Jacksonville, Fla. The Jacksonville Jaguars defeated the Indianapolis Colts 37-20. [Corey Perrine/Florida Times-Union] / Corey Perrine/Florida Times-Union / USA

https://www.facebook.com/dialog/sha...contract-year-breakout-candidate-01hyrqrc8esd

If you don't pay close attention to the Jaguars, or maybe your favorite team isn't in the AFC playing the Jaguars twice a year, the name Andre Cisco probably doesn't mean much to you. But let me tell you, this is one of the premier young safeties in football.

The former Syracuse star, whose final season with the Orange was cut way short due to an early injury, has elite ball-tracking range. After experiencing the nightmarish Urban Meyer experiment that went about as well as the Stanford prison experiment, Cisco had three interceptions in 2022 and tacked on four last season.

And he just turned 24 in March. The 6-foot, 210-pounder is built like a stocky strong safety but glides to the football downfield like he's making the transition from playing center field on a Major League Baseball team. Do not be surprised if Cisco's interception total rises again, which then leads to a sizable new deal either during or after his fourth season in Jacksonville.
- Chris Trapasso, CBS Sports
After 26 tackles, two pass deflections, and two forced fumbles in 17 games (three starts) as a rookie, Cisco has grown into a legitamate playmaker for the Jaguars' defense in the last two years.
In the last two years, Cisco has started all 30 games he has started in and recorded seven interceptions, 15 pass deflections, 135 tackles, two tackles for loss, and 1.5 sacks.
https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?te...contract-year-breakout-candidate-01hyrqrc8esd
2021-2024 RookieAndre Cisco signed a 4 year , $5,236,500 contract with the Jacksonville Jaguars,
including $1,168,364 signing bonus, $1,168,364 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $1,309,125.
http://www.reddit.com/submit?url=ht... Cisco Named Contract Year Breakout Candidate
Trill Williams

After going undrafted, Williams signed with the New Orleans Saints as an undrafted free agent on

May 11, 2021.
He was waived three days later after failing his physical.
http://www.reddit.com/submit?url=ht... Cisco Named Contract Year Breakout Candidate

Miami Dolphins​

On May 17 Williams was claimed off waivers by the Miami Dolphins. During the 2021 NFL season, he was active for five games. His first appearance was during the regular season finale victory over the New England Patriots in which he played on defense and special teams. He was placed on injured reserve with a torn ACL on August 15, 2022. He was waived on August 29, 2023.

I always thought Duce was an over-rated DB and I still think that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom