The million dollar question | Syracusefan.com

The million dollar question

Why the can't we D up on the road???

Since conference play started I've never seen such a difference in how we play at home vs on the road, especially defensively.
Different size courts. Ours is smaller so it can fit across the end zone.:rolling:

For real, I just think it's so much harder to play on the road.

The one road win we have is against a team that plays the worst D in conference. I think we are getting better though.

This is a great question.

We're starting to play really good defense at home. Not just ok...it's stifling at times.

On the road so far, we might as well throw a tavern rec league zone out there.

That being said, this team is clearly starting to gel so let's see how they do this week and revisit.

The crowd really seems to motivate this team. Hoping they can start feeding off negativity on the road and self motivate their effort and activity on defense.

we played good D against UNC just didnt get any rebounds. BC was awful but its masked by a team shooting 3s from 30 ft. NC st we showed up for 5 min.. VT wasnt awful D we just didnt shoot well enough

It doesnt help we keep getting behind so at home those teams have more energy..

Why do refs seem to give more calls to the home team? It's psychological energy of 20,000 minds and screaming voices. Hard to overcome.

To be fair, we had the home court advantage at BC(even the announcers pointed it out!), and lost by 15...not to mention some more embarassing home losses. This is one of the more enigmatic SU teams that I can remember. At times even my posts make more sense to the average viewer.

We can hope that the corner is being turned, at the exact time some folks predicted it would be.

Why the can't we D up on the road???

Since conference play started I've never seen such a difference in how we play at home vs on the road, especially defensively.

I posted earlier about this, IMO this team is just not confident enough! They suffered from some early bad losses and the crowds at home have been a disappointment. In the past the crowd has been there to fire up the team during early season in-game slumps, which in turn saves us from bad losses and helps build the confidence needed to win on the road.

More expensive days in the dome and a fan base who has been spoiled with our recent success; has jaded some of our more loyal fans. Jaded spoiled fans don't stand and cheer when the team is playing like . They feel entitled, especially when they are spending $4 on a 20 cent bottle of water.

Whether it's a program/coaching thing or a societal thing or a bit of both, the teams effort on defense seems to always mirror the crowds participation rate. Maybe the individual frustrations of so many new guys learning the complexities of the zone or a bit of the 5th year transfers causing a lack of leadership or again a combination of the above.

I think effort is what suffers the most when you lack confidence, and I think for all the reasons above this team has lacked confidence.

Another example of how scholarship restrictions can cause underlying problems. Intensity on defense is paramount while playing in our defensive system and that intensity is easier to entice when you are comfortable and confident.

Taking my point one step further, intensity on defense can actually be a liability if you are still uncomfortable with the system. It's a fine line and I think we have obviously crossed it finally!

BBallBeadle (tm) a long time ago posted a legendary article on the scientific effect of the crowd. While I have somewhat of an understanding of that, I still don't totally get this team. I predicted during the dark days that there was a "switch" that would eventually "click", but it hasn't stayed on as consistently as I'd like. MarketCuse (is that name a verb? lol) may have a good explanation with confidence, which is certainly huge. Comfort seems to go along with it, as well.

Not to get too off topic, but do any of these Monday or Tuesday games ever have any other fans feel like theyre fiending for the next game to finally get here? I was looking at the schedule, and thought of the one way the NBA was semi more enjoyable.

Did we really play that good a defense? UVA shot the lights out from three. They just play at a ridiculously slow pace and turned it over. I don't think our D was very good except for collapsing on the no skill stiffs they had under the hoops who were terrible finishers.

Did we really play that good a defense? UVA shot the lights out from three. They just play at a ridiculously slow pace and turned it over. I don't think our D was very good except for collapsing on the no skill stiffs they had under the hoops who were terrible finishers.
We played exceptional D second half. Very active forced turnovers rebounded well contested everything at the rim. Great D

Yup. 1-1 is absolutely acceptable this week. Stellar in fact
I'm going to respectfully disagree. As hard as it is to win on the road, it would not surprise any of us to win at Clemson. Not easy, but doable. We do that then we go beat up on Stallings. Again, not easy, but these are two we can win. If we beat Clemson, I want that second win. No let down in sight.

I want to go 2-0. If we do that we have a shot to finish with the best record in conference.
Yep. There are only 4 teams above us right now. We beat 2 of them, we have 2 more games against the other, and then the loss to UNC.