the most important players to play for cuse | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

the most important players to play for cuse

I'm sorry, any list that doesn't include Greg Davis is invalid.

Great topic for the middle of the summer. In my eyes there are really only 3 in the JB era. Taking the Bing/JB argument out of it for a second. Here are my 3 in the order they arrived,

1. Rosie Bouie - I have heard JB say that he probably doesn't get through his first 5 years or so if he doesn't come. Just think for a minute where we would be as a program if that happened.

2. Pearl- Number 1 recruit in the country. Announced on National TV. Him coming here took playing at the Dome to a new level. He opened the door for other big time recruits that followed like DC & Billy. To the younger fans out there (under 40) I cant underestimate what he did. By announcing on National TV he immediately took us from a regional power to a national one.

3. Melo- Obviously.

That's my 2 cents. We have had so many great players over the years that you could probably pick 50-100 but these are my 3.

Honorable mention to Moten & JW for hanging in there during our dark period as well. Also, one guy not mentioned yet who we probably wont know about for 15-20 years is Hopkins. He could turn out to be a HUGE get depending on how the transition goes.

The dome is the house that the Pearl built. Without him I don't know that the program ever reaches the heights it did. I love Melo but for my money NOBODY rocked the dome the way the Pearl did.
Hasn't Boehiem said that Pearl was the most important recruit he ever had? He was the first nationally ranked recruit and brought a lot of attention to the program.

It all starts with Dave Bing. Pearl and Bouie are the guys who got Boeheim established. Round out those four with Melo. IMO that's your top 5. No offense to the legions of other crazy important guys like the General and DC and Wallace and GMac and Hop, etc. I think we have another 20 guys tied for 6th.

2. Pearl- Number 1 recruit in the country. Announced on National TV. Him coming here took playing at the Dome to a new level. He opened the door for other big time recruits that followed like DC & Billy. To the younger fans out there (under 40) I cant underestimate what he did. By announcing on National TV he immediately took us from a regional power to a national one.

Excellent commentary. These kind of intangible contributions are very important. Although Dion Waiters will not be in the top five list, what he did going from his freshmen to sophomore year is truly amazing! And then getting drafted 4th in the NBA as the sixth man really helps the Orange brand and recruiting. This is a huge intangible contribution to the program to say the sixth guy became a lottery pick. More importantly, I think Dion is still contributing by actually doing well in the NBA. Who's next to talk about after Anthony in the NBA?

With this kind of intangible logic you have to give MCW some credit for getting the team to a final four. It's great seeing SU ranked #3 all summer on ESPN (I wish it was #1 but I take #3 over higher numbers!).

Another intangible, seeing McCullough's name on the NCAAM ESPN page showing Syracuse in a top 10 recruiting list.

bing boeheim
louie
rosie
pearl
howard
sherm
dc
billy
hopkins
moten
Wallace
etan Thomas billy edelin melo gmac rautins Flynn scoop triche cj the ones mentioned above kept the program on top and brought recruits with them

How can this thread go this deep and nobody challenge Louie being included on this list? He clearly is not worthy.

He only avg'd 2.8 points a game but was known to throw a chair or two.

Oh, weren't not talking Mccroskey???

I think the question is who's second after Melo

What if Hakim Warrick did not make the block in the national championship game? Do you now rank Hakim in the top 5? Would we even be talking about Melo if Hakim did not make the block? This type of ranking is nearly impossible.

But I would say Dave Bing to take a stab at your question because he had such a huge impact on the program nationally.

I would go Boeheim, Melo, Wallace as the clear top three, and then some order of Pearl, Moten, Coleman, and The General while recognizing that Bing might have helped Jim Boeheim become what he now is, and I'm just not sure where Bing goes.

Good post. It's just a handful, like you mentioned.

-Boeheim and Bing are co-#'1s. Bing started it all with JB right by his side.
-Then, you have to Pearl in there that moved us past a regional team. He has value as a player and for marketing purposes.
-Then comes Sherm, DC and Billy (billy more for perception/marketing, he was a top 1-2 player, which was a huge coup then).
-Moten and Wallace, IMO, saved the program. We were in rough shape if Moten and his points didn't come around. Wallace, maybe as big a recruit as Melo, IMO. He too helped save the program from a more Nova, Pitt type program.
-Melo with a special mentione to Billy E for his role in Melo/title.

Hopefully I have Hop on this list in 8 years.

I'd say JB, Bing, Pearl and Melo.

I think that is the "Mt. Rushmore" if I can choose four, for me.

That's as good a start you'll get. Many will argue Sherm was better and I'm one of them. However, Pearl had a huge brand/marketing angle which puts him on that list. My only argument would be a special place for Wallace. We really could've been in trouble for many years without him.

The CLEAR number one most important person to ever play for Syracuse is Jim Boeheim. no question. Number 2 is clearly Mike Hopkins, then probably Carmelo.

That's as good a start you'll get. Many will argue Sherm was better and I'm one of them. However, Pearl had a huge brand/marketing angle which puts him on that list. My only argument would be a special place for Wallace. We really could've been in trouble for many years without him.

I'm fully in agreement. I believe Sherm was better than Pearl, but Pearl's impact on the program overall, I believe, puts him ahead of Sherm for this particular question.

Wallace would be my fifth if there could be a fifth on Mt. Rushmore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom