The Mounties are eating their own | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The Mounties are eating their own

I would take 70% in a cocaine heartbeat.

As would I, if it looked like a NC was possible. I think what you see from the couch burners is a slow realization that Holgerson is a great offensive mind that can't make in-game adjustments or cares about defense even a little.

Both WVU and Oregon remind me of Dantoni's Suns in the NBA. Win a lot of games in the regular season with explosive, fun to watch offense - and then watch the sugar high fade when you play the elite, balanced teams.

As would I, if it looked like a NC was possible. I think what you see from the couch burners is a slow realization that Holgerson is a great offensive mind that can't make in-game adjustments or cares about defense even a little.

Both WVU and Oregon remind me of Dantoni's Suns in the NBA. Win a lot of games in the regular season with explosive, fun to watch offense - and then watch the sugar high fade when you play the elite, balanced teams.

Oregon 53 Stanford 30. I'd say Stanford was pretty good with Luck last year. OU 45 Wisconsin 38...the Badgers had a very balanced team last year.

Oregon 53 Stanford 30. I'd say Stanford was pretty good with Luck last year. OU 45 Wisconsin 38...the Badgers had a very balanced team last year.

Stanford had a very good team last year. Their offense was great with Luck, no doubt. No one was surprised when Oregon put up 53 against them though. I wouldn't say they were elite. Neither was Wisconsin. Oregon is a dominate offensive team with a great scheme. There is no arguing that point. But -they haven't won a NC. If they get a chance against Alabama this year, a truly elite team in all three phases - they will lose.

They give up to many points and think they can outscore everyone. Defense wins championships - as true today as it ever was.

Stanford had a very good team last year. Their offense was great with Luck, no doubt. No one was surprised when Oregon put up 53 against them though. I wouldn't say they were elite. Neither was Wisconsin. Oregon is a dominate offensive team with a great scheme. There is no arguing that point. But -they haven't won a NC. If they get a chance against Alabama this year, a truly elite team in all three phases - they will lose.

They give up to many points and think they can outscore everyone. Defense wins championships - as true today as it ever was.

Good teams win championships and OU did put 27 vs LSU in basically an LSU home game in Texas. I agree with you that they have to improve on defense when the offense doesn't get 35+ to get to the next level. I'd love to see OU play Bama or LSU in a playoff and not let them have a month to prepare.

I agree that the month or two of prep time plays against Oregon's advantage.

I love watching their offense and am hoping to see them in the BCS championship game vs Alabama... Anything would be better than the FG only game last year. Snooze.

Yeah, they got a guy that doesn't think running the ball and defense is all that important.
geno smith heisman talk was crazy. he's just not as good as his numbers indicated. he's good at playing catch when no one lays a finger on him (like baylor). he's not as good as other air raid qbs have been

Uh, Oregon plays defense. They are a physical team, not a glorified flag team.

geno smith heisman talk was crazy. he's just not as good as his numbers indicated. he's good at playing catch when no one lays a finger on him (like baylor). he's not as good as other air raid qbs have been
Agree with this. He seems like a guy that plays great ahead, but isn't really a guy that can come back or keep his level of play up with a team that's down.

it really is a good argument against the air raid. get most of the benefit of spreading out the field and exploiting speed but without the softness. i don't think the air raid has to be soft but so far, that's what it's been. the coaches who have the luxury of going that route are the ones with credibility established already. belichick is allowed to throw 30 times in a row from teh shotgun because he's already known as a great DC. he doesn't signal anything negative playing flag football on offense.

Has Oregon or WVU ever been elite defensively at the same as their offense? I love the system - but it seems we've only seen it with OK defense.

Maybe there is a correlation? Are you asking your offense to run a "sprint" and forcing your defense back on the field all game? Does the opposition try to slow down the game by grinding away, leaving your defense ground down? I don't know - seems plausible.

I'd love to see a team play an Alabama level defense and an Oregon style offense. Is it possible?