The move to ditch the NCAA begins? | Syracusefan.com

The move to ditch the NCAA begins?

If the P5 ditches the NCAA they’ll just make a new organization that operates the same way as the NCAA does. There’s a reason the system now is as successful and profitable as it is.

The NCAA is the schools that make it up and anything new will be just as corrupt and inconsistent because $$$$ always talks. It will probably happen eventually but I think it’s a change that isn’t really needed and could potentially have a devastating impact on D1-D3 schools outside of the P5.

If the P5 ditches the NCAA they’ll just make a new organization that operates the same way as the NCAA does. There’s a reason the system now is as successful and profitable as it is.

The NCAA is the schools that make it up and anything new will be just as corrupt and inconsistent because $$$$ always talks. It will probably happen eventually but I think it’s a change that isn’t really needed and could potentially have a devastating impact on D1-D3 schools outside of the P5.
It truly amazes me that, in this day and age, people still don't know/understand this.

The SEC only cares about football, basketball, and baseball/softball. They have less than no idea about running a serious program in just about any other sport with the possible exceptions of gymnastics and women's soccer. For the B1G, add wrestling to the "cares about" list, and maybe take out baseball/softball. For The Big XII, it's football, basketball, wrestling, and baseball/softball. Do you want these "If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'" people in charge of college sports? I'd rather not have the SEC rep (remember, Florida and Vandy play WLax) sleeping through the lacrosse committee meeting.

The SEC only cares about football, basketball, and baseball/softball. They have less than no idea about running a serious program in just about any other sport with the possible exceptions of gymnastics and women's soccer. For the B1G, add wrestling to the "cares about" list, and maybe take out baseball/softball. For The Big XII, it's football, basketball, wrestling, and baseball/softball. Do you want these "If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'" people in charge of college sports? I'd rather not have the SEC rep (remember, Florida and Vandy play WLax) sleeping through the lacrosse committee meeting.

They are already in charge as the NCAA is run and funded by the Conferences. I'm not sure how it's going to be any different other than each of the P5 have a 20% stake in the new organization.

I'm not sure you can support your point. The SEC is quite good at track and field, swimming and golf, among others. O conference is really good all across the board. The closest one was the PAC before a lot of them started cutting sports after Covid.

It truly amazes me that, in this day and age, people still don't know/understand this.
Yupp, the schools/conferences are cool cutting Emmert and other executives 7 figure checks because it puts all of the heat on what people view as a different entity. Very similar to how the NFL pays Goodell $40 million to be the face everyone hates. He still does everything the owners want just like the NCAA does what is best for P5 schools.

Pretty genius setup if you ask me

They want to build an impression that they are doing something as they see the politicians circling Emmett and the NCAA like a wounded T-Rex.

I'm not sure you can support your point. The SEC is quite good at track and field, swimming and golf, among others. O conference is really good all across the board. The closest one was the PAC before a lot of them started cutting sports after Covid.
I'm not saying that no SEC or B1G school has a good Olympic sports program. Far from it. Our MTennis team's season was ended by Georgia too many times for me to think that way. I'm saying those conferences are not concerned with the nitty gritty details needed to run the Olympic sports. The standard I use is the ACC HQ in Greensboro's level of concern about lacrosse. To pull a random example, is the SEC as concerned about what happens in the governing of NCAA swimming (Florida is a national power) as the ACC is concerned about the governing of lacrosse? Plus, if UVa was playing SU in the MLax or WLax Final, I could easily see the ACC Commissioner or Chief Deputy attending the game. Would the SEC Commissioner or Chief Deputy attend if Florida and Vandy were in the WLax Final?

While it may be true that the NCAA is "the schools", It's the conferences that make the money, not the NCAA.

The seeds have been planted. The NCAA could get away with it in the Spring because outside of the College World Series and the NCAA Men's Tournament, there's little to no revenue being made so schools were ok with falling on the sword. Football is an entirely different beast. The major conferences are not going to leave tens of millions on the table especially those with schools who have ADs in the red. The SEC and the ACC being committed to playing shows that.

The federal government needs to oversee college athletics. Congress needed to act when they had time to do so vs the performative art of governing they do.

I suspect we're at the start of this happening. The smaller colleges won't survive what the bigger guys want to do with the governance. This virus just exposed that none of these colleges are operating with a singular goal

The federal government needs to oversee college athletics. Congress needed to act when they had time to do so vs the performative art of governing they do.

I suspect we're at the start of this happening. The smaller colleges won't survive what the bigger guys want to do with the governance. This virus just exposed that none of these colleges are operating with a singular goal

The federal government is not going to micromanage state elected officials. If that happens, our entire way of life changes into something way worse.

Because they do such a great job at everything else.

The federal government is the last person I want running college athletes. It would be even more corrupt than it is now. They can’t even agree that snow is white.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom