The Mystic Pull of Penn State | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The Mystic Pull of Penn State

If I could push back on this discussion just a little, for conversation sake:

Yes. Penn State gets 100,000 fans. That would be awesome to any recruit. Is this the main draw, or is something else going on?

Syracuse basketball can sell playing to the largest crowds in the nation ...and is a program (like Penn State) with a high winning percentage. But even Syracuse doesn't see the kinds of basketball recruits that Penn State does in football

Does anyone on this board have any inside insight as to why Penn State seems to hold so much sway over recruits and families?

I have never been to Penn State, although I had lived in Pennsylvania for a few years, and I know the whole state is mystified with that school.

But why does it hold so much power over out of state recruits as well? I have heard there is nothing but country surrounding the school, so it must be that the campus itself is highly impressive.

What are they doing with their campus that Syracuse isn't? Is there anything that can be replicated from them? Anyone have any insight on these matters?

I think it's going to be important to counteract some of Penn State's "glamour" going forward. Winning will help us, sure, but it seems like it will have to go beyond winning to fight this fight in the long haul.
All we have to do is triple the size of the Dome, fill it, expand our alumni base by 4x, pour 8-9 figures into practice facilities, and be a national contender for a couple years, and we would launch right past them.

Penn State is actually a conglomerate of about 15 campuses stretched across the State covering the whole of the State. Their annual enrollment over all campuses is about 100,000 students. Due to these multiple campuses (all graduating with a Penn State degree) they have an alumni base that dwarfs every other Northeastern school and continues to churn out thousands every year. That leads to a huge benefit so far as fan base, alumni donations, etc.

They are in a football heavy state so more of the students (from PA) grew up with and like football as its been a big part of their sports lives prior to enrollment. The exposure prior to getting on campus is all throughout the State and permeates most communities. On game day everyone is flying those gross PSU flags from their house or lawn.

The State College downtown is beautiful and is a truly a college town which caters to the undergrad population, alumni population visiting and those working at the University. Those that have been there can back me up on this I'm sure.

I hate PSU and Paterno (like my father before me) but having been there and thinking about the OP its really not hard to see why they are the premier football program in the Northeast based just on the above.

Their campus is nothing special. It is big and ugly. I didn't see the village but the university is in the middle of nowhere, in a really ugly area of small hills. Not much in the way of trees or vistas. It reminds me of the stark ugliness one sees as you head north into North Country from Syracuse. Stubby bushes, stunted trees, a general malaise over everything. I am sure Happy Valley was a sarcastic name for the area.

Their stadium is really big, really ugly, has a major bee problem, has uncomfortable benches and was the tightest, most cramped quarters I have been subjected to at any athetic event. Ever. They play the sound of a mangy cat being electrocuted on the loudspeakers as loud as possible every 5 minutes.

You tailgate in cow poop and mud, surrounded by barbed wire.

I think their fans are a sick cult. I am very glad they have been quarantined into the Big Scandal conference, where they most assuredly belong.

I have no idea why anyone would want to go there. This is the greatest mystery of the 21st century.
Another Tomcat classic, agree with everything, I’ll add , if your in row 95 in the end zone your better off watching on your phone because you can see nothing!

In a state like PA, you have Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Harrisburg/Capital area and not much else (apologies to any who may be offended). These three are all essentially in a straight line close to the southern border of the state. For the rest of the state there is nothing but fishing, hunting, fracking, forestry and Penn State Football. There isn't much competition for the adulation of a whole state. State College is quaint but modern, and it caters to the university, its students and faculty and essentially exists as an oasis that never needs be left. It doesn't matter what exists around it. If you want more of an urban setting, or easy access to that lifestyle, then it is NOT the place for you.
It also has much to offer from the academic side of things including outstanding facilities, research opportunities, and an alumni network which I believe is still the largest in the country. It is a big school and has a big school feel, but it isn't dense or crowded (except on Fri-Sat in the Fall). There is a lot to like. I'm sorry.
(Please don't point out the negatives to me, I feel I am quite aware. But Orijinal wanted a reasonable reply and I hope this helps a little)

if you youtube the scene when psu comes out of the tunnel prior to the game, I can see the attraction. great atmosphere.

It began as a modest Ag school and as I recall from a lax trip in '51 the field had steel bleachers on one side only. But like Topsy, it just growed. Very much the same as Mich State a former Ag school, did from that point on. Interesting that MSU has the largest on campus stadium and PSU the second. The vets pouring back on the GI bill greatly spurred that growth. Why the great attraction to recruits? Well winning sure helps. From Rip Englel in 1951 to the present only five losing seasons. That, unfortunately includes beating us 16 years in a row from '71 to '86. And I'm sure when kids visit those facts are loudly proclaimed. I have nothing to back this up, but I think a big difference is our history basically embraces individuals, Brown, Davis, Little and theirs that constant winning record. Yeah, that big stadium has to impress, but as most have said on here. Winning is the answer.

The appeal of the college town weighs zero in many of these decisions.

See Indiana, South Bend. Pull the campus out of there and Ned Beatty’s line in Rudy would be “This is the worst sight these eyes have ever seen.”

Penn State is actually a conglomerate of about 15 campuses stretched across the State covering the whole of the State. Their annual enrollment over all campuses is about 100,000 students. Due to these multiple campuses (all graduating with a Penn State degree) they have an alumni base that dwarfs every other Northeastern school and continues to churn out thousands every year. That leads to a huge benefit so far as fan base, alumni donations, etc.

They are in a football heavy state so more of the students (from PA) grew up with and like football as its been a big part of their sports lives prior to enrollment. The exposure prior to getting on campus is all throughout the State and permeates most communities. On game day everyone is flying those gross PSU flags from their house or lawn.

The State College downtown is beautiful and is a truly a college town which caters to the undergrad population, alumni population visiting and those working at the University. Those that have been there can back me up on this I'm sure.

I hate PSU and Paterno (like my father before me) but having been there and thinking about the OP its really not hard to see why they are the premier football program in the Northeast based just on the above.
This lays out a lot that I was not aware of. Thank you

In a state like PA, you have Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Harrisburg/Capital area and not much else (apologies to any who may be offended). These three are all essentially in a straight line close to the southern border of the state. For the rest of the state there is nothing but fishing, hunting, fracking, forestry and Penn State Football. There isn't much competition for the adulation of a whole state. State College is quaint but modern, and it caters to the university, its students and faculty and essentially exists as an oasis that never needs be left. It doesn't matter what exists around it. If you want more of an urban setting, or easy access to that lifestyle, then it is NOT the place for you.
It also has much to offer from the academic side of things including outstanding facilities, research opportunities, and an alumni network which I believe is still the largest in the country. It is a big school and has a big school feel, but it isn't dense or crowded (except on Fri-Sat in the Fall). There is a lot to like. I'm sorry.
(Please don't point out the negatives to me, I feel I am quite aware. But Orijinal wanted a reasonable reply and I hope this helps a little)
Thanks for this.

Hey now...you left out the LL World Series in Williamsport. ;)

Because 100,000 white tshirts and towels is more important than their personal accountability, morals, integrity, or whom, and what, they choose to associate with. The ego looks the other way.

Anyone who has known kids that went through similar circumstances, will hate that place 'til their dying day.

Just don't take a shower. It must be one of Axe body spray's strongest sales areas.

Same situation in Alabama. Bama football is the only sport that matters in the state. Period.

Because 100,000 white tshirts and towels is more important than their personal accountability, morals, integrity, or whom, and what, they choose to associate with. The ego looks the other way.

Anyone who has known kids that went through similar circumstances, will hate that place 'til their dying day.
This. I could never not hate Penn State.

So, we're all saying Penn State is a cult. And they produce thousands of drones in PA on an annual basis. Sounds about right

So, we're all saying Penn State is a cult. And they produce thousands of drones in PA on an annual basis. Sounds about right
Pretty much. And if you read above from those who know the state, PSU fans have a cultish allegiance to the school, shallow values, short memories and a paucity of cultural alternatives.

Last edited:
So what I’m hearing is SU needs to open another campus/ increase our students to get more alumni ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom