The NBA is growing in | Syracusefan.com

The NBA is growing in

Fjoinkay

Starter
popularity according to ESPN. There are many reasons for that obviously. Among the reasons, I think Jeff Van Gundy and Mark Jackson are factors.

They bring knowledge, insight and fun entertainment to the way they call games, and they take the NBA officiating to task when appropriate. I think the NBA officiating has improved over the recent years (it is by no means great but it is better), and I think people sense that. It used to be that the NBA officiating was subpar especially compared to NCAA basketball. Not anymore, and it's not even close.

Those are factors I think. Also on a bigger scale however...

- 3 point line volume/usage. Lots of college teams can’t shoot. The Steph Curry’s and the Euros big and small coming in can shoot.

- Too much turnover in college. Very rarely do kids stick around like Villanova and UNC in recent years. Brand new rosters every year it seems and I bet more difficult perhaps for the average fan to follow.

- Skill level with many of the young players in the pros is off the charts. College game not so much. I used to watch all the games but with time commitments and how bad some of the skill is along with the officiating there are only a few teams I have enjoyed watching the past few years. Teams like Villanova, Duke, Arizona, Michigan St., Michigan, Wisconsin, Louisville, etc. Obviously the Tournament is awesome but that is single elimination and anything can happen. Part of the fun and frustration!

- Sustainability with guys like LeBron, KD, Wade, etc. These guys still play terrific ball consistently at their age.

Last edited:
Here’s my huge problem with the NBA: nothing is spectacular anymore ...or at least nothing is remarkable. Scoring is so cheap, you could literally watch a 5 minute segment of any game and it will be similar to any other 5 minute segment.

The teams that play even concede that there are portions of the game that don’t even matter at all, and so they just throw all their bench players in at the same time.

How stupid is the idea of getting fouled and getting to take 3 more steps and still try and make a basket? The foul happened a week ago and the offensive player still gets the and 1

Yet I guess the game is getting more popular. Go figure. Leave it to America. Anyway, I do love VanGundy and Jackson

Here’s my huge problem with the NBA: nothing is spectacular anymore ...or at least nothing is remarkable. Scoring is so cheap, you could literally watch a 5 minute segment of any game and it will be similar to any other 5 minute segment.

The teams that play even concede that there are portions of the game that don’t even matter at all, and so they just throw all their bench players in at the same time.

How stupid is the idea of getting fouled and getting to take 3 more steps and still try and make a basket? The foul happened a week ago and the offensive player still gets the and 1

Yet I guess the game is getting more popular. Go figure. Leave it to America. Anyway, I do love VanGundy and Jackson

I get some of what you are saying. But the stuff guys like LBJ, KD, Giannis, Porzingis, Anthony Davis, Westbrook, etc., do on a daily basis is pretty remarkable.

popularity according to ESPN. There are many reasons for that obviously. Among the reasons, I think Jeff Van Gundy and Mark Jackson are factors.

They bring knowledge, insight and fun entertainment to the way they call games, and they take the NBA officiating to task when appropriate. I think the NBA officiating has improved over the recent years (it is by no means great but it is better), and I think people sense that. It used to be that the NBA officiating was subpar especially compared to NCAA basketball. Not anymore, and it's not even close.

Officiating had nowhere to go but up after the whole fixed games fiasco.

I've never been an NBA fan unfortunately primarily due to most of the players having an "ego" complex in my opinion. I also think there is more complaining about lack of officiating calls than any other sport. The only games I watch are OKC Thunder due to Melo (whenever they are on TV).

T

They waved off LeBron's and 1 on Christmas day because he traveled after the foul.

In fact, that play had me thinking. Oshaes and 1 should have been waived off last night. He interfered with the basket after he was fouled while the ball was in the cylinder. Should have gotten 2 shots instead.

If I ran the world, the NBA regular season would be 40 games long. And the playoffs would be 3-5-5-5.

I know it's about the almighty dollar but the season of every professional sport minus the NFL is just too painfully long.

Since late 2014 the only reason why I'm interested in college basketball is because I grew up in Syracuse.

Yeah, it's weird. I love SU basketball and SU football equally. But I watch college football literally all day on fall Saturdays, but really don't watch college hoops outside of our games and the tournament.

Yeah, it's weird. I love SU basketball and SU football equally. But I watch college football literally all day on fall Saturdays, but really don't watch college hoops outside of our games and the tournament.
I am almost the opposite. I watch college hoop all the time. I never miss a syracuse football game but after that, eh.

I love Van Gundy, Jackson is ok, but they're far down the list.

The game has been opened up, and there is just a ridiculous amount of talent in the league right now. The games are awesome

it's amazing how well guys can shoot, especially after watching a college game.

If I ran the world, the NBA regular season would be 40 games long. And the playoffs would be 3-5-5-5.

I know it's about the almighty dollar but the season of every professional sport minus the NFL is just too painfully long.

Please no. Moar games. 7 game series are awesome. You can have your college football.

Please no. Moar games. 7 game series are awesome. You can have your college football.

Wow, you want the NBA season to be longer than 82 games? To each their own but I've never heard anyone advocate for that.

100% agree. Other than our guys - I don't think I can name 5 players currently playing MCB. College FB, on the other hand... I'll watch spring games if they are on the tube. Bit of a irrational love (sickness?) I guess.

Wow, you want the NBA season to be longer than 82 games? To each their own but I've never heard anyone advocate for that.

Not what I meant. Keep it at 82.

100% agree. Other than our guys - I don't think I can name 5 players currently playing MCB. College FB, on the other hand... I'll watch spring games if they are on the tube. Bit of a irrational love (sickness?) I guess.

Yeah I don’t get what’s exciting about a sport who’s college champion is one of 3 schools before the season, but to each their own.

Yeah I don’t get what’s exciting about a sport who’s college champion is one of 3 schools before the season, but to each their own.
You make a great point. Football is much more calcified. I can't remember the last time a surprise team won the National Championship. Maybe since GaTech/Colorado in '90 or '91? College hoops is certainly much more random - see Villanova. However, I am forever poisoned by my freshman year in 1987. There's something about the various traditions and rivalries around the country that pull me in. MCB not so much.

If OU or Georgia wins it this year that will be 5 years with 5 different champions.

Charles Barkley, Kenny Smith, Shaq, Ernie Johnson et. al. are pretty great too.

They were TERRIBLE doing a game on Christmas. SHUT UP!!! God that was rough.

You make a great point. Football is much more calcified. I can't remember the last time a surprise team won the National Championship. Maybe since GaTech/Colorado in '90 or '91? College hoops is certainly much more random - see Villanova. However, I am forever poisoned by my freshman year in 1987. There's something about the various traditions and rivalries around the country that pull me in. MCB not so much.

Auburn

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom