The NCAA has announced its immediate changes after consultation from the Commission on College Basketball | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The NCAA has announced its immediate changes after consultation from the Commission on College Basketball

Looks good to me. Kids can go undrafted and return which is great. Should end all the nonsense about leaving when your stock is high.

They better not expand the draft past 2 rounds though.

Looks good to me. Kids can go undrafted and return which is great. Should end all the nonsense about leaving when your stock is high.

They better not expand the draft past 2 rounds though.

They can go undrafted and return but they have to be invited to the combine so it probably won't apply much.

They can go undrafted and return but they have to be invited to the combine so it probably won't apply much.

Yeah I saw that upon closer review.

Tons of kids declare early even without being invited to the combine and likely still will. Honestly the NBA teams can deal with a couple thousand extra applicants they won't be drafting. Hopefully they remove this stipulation soon. Just let everyone enter it and come back if they aren't one of the 60 names called.

On first read it looks like a lame attempt to do a little CYA on the part of the NCAA after all the negative press they've gotten in recent years.

Convoluted and difficult to police (definition)-: to supervise the operation, execution, or administration of to prevent or detect and prosecute violations of rules and regulations

Good luck auditing agents' payments to their clients. NCAA will never control this.

It doesn't appear so from everything I have read but someone can correct me if I am spreading fake news.
How can the NCAA tell an NBA team they must renounce their rights on a player just because the player didn’t like where he was picked ?

W.r.t. the "undrafted players can return to school": I wonder how many players will announce beforehand something like "I will only sign if my draft position is X or higher"

This is the piece of the rule that I don't think they got right. The player should be able to return if they don't sign, whether they got drafted or not. If they think they are a first round talent and for whatever reason don't get taken until the back end of the second round, why not let them come back??

This is the piece of the rule that I don't think they got right. The player should be able to return if they don't sign, whether they got drafted or not. If they think they are a first round talent and for whatever reason don't get taken until the back end of the second round, why not let them come back??

That would be similar to baseball and seems to work okay there.

How can the NCAA tell an NBA team they must renounce their rights on a player just because the player didn’t like where he was picked ?

Why do you see it as the NCAA telling an NBA team they must renounce their rights on a player?

Its the NBA draft, not the armed forces draft, they can't force the kids to play professionally. All they can do is create consequences for their failure to do so. Why does the NCAA feel that it needs to be complicit in limiting players options by declaring them ineligible?? Other leagues give teams a calendar year to sign the players they've drafted or their rights lapse. Even if they came back to school subject to the drafting teams rights, that at least gives the player the option to say a second round salary isn't worth sacrificing my free college education and the college experience over, if they are so inclined.

The idea that they have to have been invited to and participate in the combine for any of this to apply makes it a joke.

Real Reform would include the following:
1. NBA changing the collective bargaining agreement so that high school graduates or 18 year olds are eligible for the draft, which I acknowledge is outside of the NCAA's control.
2. Give players the ability to enter their name in the draft, be drafted, not sign and choose to return to school regardless of whether they were invited to or participated in any draft combine.
3. Maybe limit a teams rights in a player to one calendar year (or two) post selection so that they are eligible to be drafted again at some point if they chose not to sign.
4. Continue to develop the G league as a viable option for kids that want to pursue professional basketball but don't truly have an interest in college education.

Last edited:
People bitched for changes, they made changes, people still bitchin.

In my mind its because the NCAA's changes are largely about trying not to kill the golden goose, rather than advancing the mission which should be promoting education and opportunity for all student athletes, not just watching out for the truly elite.

Because the NBA team that just pissed away a draft pick will be SOL. That will never happen.

In my mind its because the NCAA's changes are largely about trying not to kill the golden goose, rather than advancing the mission which should be promoting education and opportunity for all student athletes, not just watching out for the truly elite.

They are allowing agents (which most said was needed), they are allowing players to return AFTER not getting selected in the draft (which many clamored for), they are FORCING schools to pay for players full education within 10 years of leaving the school. How are these not helping the student athlete?

There has to be restrictions on these and now it seems we're nitpiking on the restrictions. Most of them seem well thought out and feasible.

IT seems like another attempt by the NCAA to have the NBA or USA Basketball fix the college game. It is not the NBA's job to make sure the college player is treated fairly.

Fine if there's a open ship. What happens it the school, expecting you to leave, gives that ship to a new recruit and there's no longer an available ship? Seems like that needs to be thought out. If schools keep that ship open and available and the kid doesn't return the school might miss out on recruits it could have gotten.

Fine if there's a open ship. What happens it the school, expecting you to leave, gives that ship to a new recruit and there's no longer an available ship? Seems like that needs to be thought out. If schools keep that ship open and available and the kid doesn't return the school might miss out on recruits it could have gotten.
This is a good example of the fact that once again the NCAA is attempting to fix the wrong problem.

Sources: NBA, USAB blindsided by NCAA's rules

14zczs.jpg

Seems like the NCAA is just making some cosmetic changes to justify their sham of a model.

Looks to me like they are trying to reduce the size of their wheelhouse. If that is even possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom