The new buzzword in college basketball... | Syracusefan.com

The new buzzword in college basketball...

"Platoon".

I'm already sick of hearing it. It's gonna be a long season.
HA HA HA! I was just trying to think of the term, then you said it. Platoon. It is to vomit.

It is my intention to pay no attention to Kentucky whatsoever for the rest of the regular season. I refuse to give them any of my precious energy. This is a matter of strong principle for me.

-Beadle the Virtuous

"Platoon".

I'm already sick of hearing it. It's gonna be a long season.

Cal is brilliant. He's convinced the some of the best players in the country to sit on his bench instead of competing against him in someone else's uni. That's the real edge of the platoon. Kansas finished the half on a 11-3 run. I guess the platoon didn't wear them down like it was supposed to.

supp said:
Cal is brilliant. He's convinced the some of the best players in the country to sit on his bench instead of competing against him in someone else's uni. That's the real edge of the platoon. Kansas finished the half on a 11-3 run. I guess the platoon didn't wear them down like it was supposed to.

And the only losers? All the people not in Tuckey that are bored. It's the Miami Heat effect on steroids.

Platoon.jpg

Yes, then at the end of the game he said its like "tanks coming over the hill"

Its not war dude. People that actually have fought in wars are probably rolling their eyes with all these war parallels.

This game tonight is going to be one of the most overblown in recent memory. We will be repeatedly referred to this game tonight by the talking heads when the power of Kentucky is to be discussed.

Kansas isnt very good. Let's wait a few weeks before we crown these dudes.

Lawrinson, I don't do the photoshop thing, so I'm requesting you add a tilted back picture of your head to this photo to illustrate your frustration. ;) If we had to worry about playing them, I'd suggest adding a similar shot of Boeheim's head.

I think Cal, whether intentionally or not, is in a way slapping the faces of the opponent with the platoon. Instilling fear(terror), like a war, with those tanks that just keep coming over the hill. Either way, he was pretty clever and now gives the media even more to analyze and talk about with him and his team. I really dislike UK, but sometimes I enjoy when someone tries something new.

They should win every game with the $$$ that they fork out for their players.

Hopefully one of these days that POS will take a job in the NBA. He's ruining college b-ball.

They should win every game with the $$$ that they fork out for their players.

Hopefully one of these days that POS will take a job in the NBA. He's ruining college b-ball.
If I had a team like Duke that has a good shot at the National Championship this year, I would feel outraged. What is Kentucky's APR? Probably all ten of those players will leave for the NBA this year. What kind of classes do they take? I already know they live in the lap of luxury.

Just as there eventually had to be a rule change to combat Dean Smith's four corners, will the NCAA eventually try to put some kind of regulations around the recruiting system? Except, the NCAA inevitably mucks up everything it does. Oh, I know! All the college basketball teams should go on strike and refuse to play Kentucky! Oooooh, I like that idea. Takes me back to the sixties.

The good thing about College basketball is the best team doesn't always win the title. The basketball system unlike college football is setup to promote parity. For instance in 5 years at Kentucky, Calipari has one title and he gets the best recruits every year. Compare that to Nick Saban who is the Cal of College football at Alabama and he had 3 in his first 6 years.

So while theres probably 30 teams that have some kind of hope to making the final four this year, realistically in football theres probably only ten teams a year that have a shot. At the beginning of last year the only final four team most experts had correct was Kentucky. Nobody picked UConn, and few experts picked Wisconsin or Florida at the start of the year.

If I had a team like Duke that has a good shot at the National Championship this year, I would feel outraged. What is Kentucky's APR? Probably all ten of those players will leave for the NBA this year. What kind of classes do they take? I already know they live in the lap of luxury.

Just as there eventually had to be a rule change to combat Dean Smith's four corners, will the NCAA eventually try to put some kind of regulations around the recruiting system? Except, the NCAA inevitably mucks up everything it does. Oh, I know! All the college basketball teams should go on strike and refuse to play Kentucky! Oooooh, I like that idea. Takes me back to the sixties.

No offense to you Beadle, but APR is stupid. On one hand, we gladly accept one and done players into the college ranks, yet measure schools on the academic progress of their players. The one and dones have no intention of trying to get a traditional academic education, they are there to pursue their basketball careers and the system has forced them to make a one year detour through a college to do so. If you are going to allow one and dones and even two and dones, then why go through the fantasy of measuring academic progress. If Chris McCullough is going to leave after this season, why does it matter whether he met bare minimum academic progress requirements?? Flip side is if Chris McCullough is going to leave after one year, then why is he even playing in college?

Don't get me wrong. I love college basketball. I want SU to get as many one and done caliber players as it can and I want SU to be competitive, but college sports have swung so far towards being a professional endeavor that maybe its time to drop the pretense of requiring athletes to pursue an education. Maybe another way to do it would be for schools to make a commitment to players that play for them. Athletes could be allowed to attend classes while they play, but would not be required to do so. For each year that an athlete participates at a school they are guaranteed a year's worth of study that can be cashed in at any time in the future - like after the professional basketball career doesn't really work out.

Last edited:
Can metrics be platooned? But seriously folks, I've yet to hear one more obtuse or inane than "score the basketball." It's like fingernails on the blackboard.

And the growing number of imbeciles who use "defense" as a verb.

Oh, I know! All the college basketball teams should go on strike and refuse to play Kentucky! Oooooh, I like that idea. Takes me back to the sixties.

Coaches at major programs lack the moral high ground to do that.

It is a recruiting gimmick, nothing more. And ESPN laps it up and serves it with a giant spoon.

I was sickened to the point where I had to stop watching last night (the game being a blowout laugher didn't help). Cal's "system" and espn's pimping of it are not good for college basketball.
I'd like to say that he won't be able to trot out his platoons when they get into the meat of their schedule, and that his army of mickey-D boys will not be happy team players on the bench - but the reality is they play in the wretched sec and they will be able to platoon away until at least the 2nd week of the big dance.
Cal has the whole thing gamed and we're all a captive audience. :noidea:

I was sickened to the point where I had to stop watching last night (the game being a blowout laugher didn't help). Cal's "system" and espn's pimping of it are not good for college basketball.
I'd like to say that he won't be able to trot out his platoons when they get into the meat of their schedule, and that his army of mickey-D boys will not be happy team players on the bench - but the reality is they play in the wretched sec and they will be able to platoon away until at least the 2nd week of the big dance.
Cal has the whole thing gamed and we're all a captive audience. :noidea:
There's a reason I didn't watch their games last year and turned this one off after a few brown nosing espn comments. Such garbage. More like a reality show than actual college basketball. I won't make that mistake again unless we play these primadonnas.

There's a reason I didn't watch their games last year and turned this one off after a few brown nosing espn comments. Such garbage. More like a reality show than actual college basketball. I won't make that mistake again unless we play these primadonnas.

Sometimes I think it's not a bad thing I can't get ESPN :rolleyes:

It is my intention to pay no attention to Kentucky whatsoever for the rest of the regular season

-Beadle the Virtuous
Haven't watched them play in 4 years outside of a game where they were getting blasted by uconn in maui and a game where southern miss was beating them in the sec tournament.

I apologize for watching those two.