The new college football playoff will be called... | Syracusefan.com

The new college football playoff will be called...

I would have preferred " the college football playoffs " but Cuse will probably never play in it so I'm not too concerned

Favorite tweet
EDSBS.JPG

I would have preferred " the college football playoffs " but Cuse will probably never play in it so I'm not too concerned

What? Win your conference and your in. We just won a share of the Big East and the ACC and BE have been very similar over the past 10 years.

Not to mention the McNabb years. I'd say its unlikely to be a consistent thing - but think big.

What? Win your conference and your in. We just won a share of the Big East and the ACC and BE have been very similar over the past 10 years.

Not to mention the McNabb years. I'd say its unlikely to be a consistent thing - but think big.

Is that correct winner of acc gets auto spot in this playoff?

Is that correct winner of acc gets auto spot in this playoff?

It's a 4 team playoff.

Top 4 teams chosen by a selection committee.

If the ACC Champ doesn't get selected, it's guaranteed the Orange Bowl or another BCS type bowl.

They should just move it to 8 schools. You'll get all the conference champs, and have 3 at large births. No chance of leaving out someone truly worthy in that kind of set up. Incorporate more of the big name bowls into the playoff structure. Three rounds - the week before Christmas, the week before New Years and the week after New Years. Bang.
I give it less than 5 years before it's expanded (and then probably expanded again).

im good with an 8 team playoff- the name is pathetic- why not the pigskin final four or something more marketable. I would love an 8 or 16 team football tourney to add some of the excitement you get from march madness.

im good with an 8 team playoff- the name is pathetic- why not the pigskin final four or something more marketable. I would love an 8 or 16 team football tourney to add some of the excitement you get from march madness.

At 16 teams, that's four weeks of playoffs. You'd have to take a week off the regular season to do that.

You'd also want to move all non-playoff bowls to before New Year's, IMO.

They should just move it to 8 schools. You'll get all the conference champs, and have 3 at large births. No chance of leaving out someone truly worthy in that kind of set up. Incorporate more of the big name bowls into the playoff structure. Three rounds - the week before Christmas, the week before New Years and the week after New Years. Bang.

You know better...common sense and NCAA do not mix!!

I would have liked to have been paid the consulting fees to come up with that name. A lot of market research and testing must have gone into this one. :noidea:

It's amazing what people complain about now a days! I don't care I they call it scratch my butt championship! Some names work and others don't! Who would have thought Google would be a household name?

I would have liked to have been paid the consulting fees to come up with that name. A lot of market research and testing must have gone into this one. :noidea:
You're probably right. I'm gonna guess though that they stayed generic to allow easier co-branding with whoever ponies up to be the sponsor. It will be "The Tostitos College Football Playoff" or "The Allstate College Football Playoffs" etc. Truly a misnomer though. 4 teams out of 120 is hardly a playoff. Really needs to be 8 to have any credibility at all.

It's a 4 team playoff.

Top 4 teams chosen by a selection committee.

If the ACC Champ doesn't get selected, it's guaranteed the Orange Bowl or another BCS type bowl.

That's right - I erred in my other post.

I don't think it will be too long until that is the case. 8 teams would be ideal.

That's right - I erred in my other post.

I don't think it will be too long until that is the case. 8 teams would be ideal.

It's better then the system they currently have, which is only a 2 team playoff.

And it's better then the system they had before that, where #1 and #2 might have been committed to play in seperate bowl games.

Little by little, it's getting there.

David Teel@DavidTeelatDP11h
6 bowls rotate semis. Already knew Rose, Orange, Sugar. Fiesta, Cotton, Chick-fil-A complete group

My brother went to Graduate School U Chicago. He said they paid a consulting team either 6 or 7 figures to come up with the name Chicago GSB for the business school. Nice work if you can get it.

One of the committee members said an 8 game playoff would devalue the rest of the bowl games. Really. That's a real quote.

I wonder how much money was paid to a marketing team to come up with that catchy moniker.

The new playoff setup is scheduled for two rotations of six years each.

The hope is that they'll go to 8 teams after the first 6-year rotation. They'd need to decide that before the start of the fifth season. If the first few years of the playoff go well (with a good snubbing or two) there s a chance this could happen.

That said, don't expect to see it expand until after the 12-year arrangement has been completed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom