The New Guys: Chinonso Obokoh | Syracusefan.com

The New Guys: Chinonso Obokoh

SWC75

Bored Historian
Everybody is talking about next year’s team, which figures to be heavily impacted by no less than six newcomers. Improvement by returning players will probably be at least as important, (I think DaJuan Coleman, Jerami Grant and Trevor Cooney will be significant factors next year). But I decided to take a good look at the six new guys and see what I could determine by viewing their highlights on U-Tube. Some of these have been posted before, I’m sure but this is the first time I’ve decided to extensively comment on them. I’m not putting this on the recruiting Board because we’ve already recruited these guys.

Our board only lets a poster link one highlight tape per post so I’m going to make a separate post on each guy. If you look to the right hand column, (on U-Tube) there may be other highlight posts on the same player. Don’t forget that you can make the video full screen by clicking in the box in the lower right hand corner of the viewing screen.

I’m a sucker for a good highlight tape, (see Mike Jones in football and Deshonte Riley in basketball), so I need to remember and to stress that these highlights are against high school competition, (and they only show the good plays). These guys may not be ready to play like this against college competition when they get here.

Chinonso Obokoh

It’s hard to find much in the way of a highlight tape on Chinonso. Most of the stuff on him is new stories and interviews. He’s another big man from another country that grew up playing soccer. He was only 140 pounds when he started playing basketball but he’s up to 220. The brief highlights on the tape above look pretty good. We shouldn’t pigeonhole him as BMK2 just because he comes from Senegal. There may be some similarities but I suspect Chinonso will have more of an offensive game. I also suspect with three centers coming back, that Chinonso will be redshirted. But don’t forget about him. He may become a key player in the future.

Everybody is talking about next year’s team, which figures to be heavily impacted by no less than six newcomers. Improvement by returning players will probably be at least as important, (I think DaJuan Coleman, Jerami Grant and Trevor Cooney will be significant factors next year). But I decided to take a good look at the six new guys and see what I could determine by viewing their highlights on U-Tube. Some of these have been posted before, I’m sure but this is the first time I’ve decided to extensively comment on them. I’m not putting this on the recruiting Board because we’ve already recruited these guys.

Our board only lets a poster link one highlight tape per post so I’m going to make a separate post on each guy. If you look to the right hand column, (on U-Tube) there may be other highlight posts on the same player. Don’t forget that you can make the video full screen by clicking in the box in the lower right hand corner of the viewing screen.

I’m a sucker for a good highlight tape, (see Mike Jones in football and Deshonte Riley in basketball), so I need to remember and to stress that these highlights are against high school competition, (and they only show the good plays). These guys may not be ready to play like this against college competition when they get here.

Chinonso Obokoh

It’s hard to find much in the way of a highlight tape on Chinonso. Most of the stuff on him is new stories and interviews. He’s another big man from another country that grew up playing soccer. He was only 140 pounds when he started playing basketball but he’s up to 220. The brief highlights on the tape above look pretty good. We shouldn’t pigeonhole him as BMK2 just because he comes from Senegal. There may be some similarities but I suspect Chinonso will have more of an offensive game. I also suspect with three centers coming back, that Chinonso will be redshirted. But don’t forget about him. He may become a key player in the future.
There was a story about Obokoh in the Rochester newspaper a week or so back. I'm sure it can be found under one of the article posts. He had an ankle injury this year that slowed him down but he seem to recover at the end of the year. For a highschool guy who was probably at best the 3rd option didn't do bad. His team had underclassmand that SU is looking at, Bryant plus a point guard who scored alot. Roughly he average 11ppg, doble figures in rebounds and a lot of blocked shots. The article pointed out that he was aware of his similarities to BMK and he thought he had a little better outside shot. Also is aware that he'll probably redshirt and he seemed ok with that.

That point guard has accepted a scholarship with Fordham. Bryant, only a soph, was MVP of the state championship game.
The comparison to Keita (who was a 4th or 5th wheel on a good Oak Hill team, with little impact on the offensive end) is natural, but Obokoh by his second year at SU will likely have 40 lbs more muscle than Keita has this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom