THE NEW ROOF | Syracusefan.com

THE NEW ROOF

BillSU

All American
THE NEW ROOF AND EXTERIOR LIGHTING

Sorta OT, but really cool. Remember when we were all looking at the roof construction. I was the daily reporter of work being done. Spirals and girders being off loaded from Canada, the construction teams connecting spirals and girders and Walter the mega crane lifting everything.

Then there was conversation about the lighting of inside the Dome and messages from JW. My interest was how they were going to light the outside and last night was the first time I had seen it done and ESPN in its intro let the eagles view run, for what, 30 seconds. Very happy with what they did, Orange lighting going up each spiral and around the entire roof structure – amazing stuff that looks VERY GOOD IMO. How do you like it?

I hope that’s how, when we are playing a night home game, ESPN chooses to intro the game: from the Dome in Syracuse, N.Y. looking down on the largest college BB facility in the nation with all the lighting doing its thing. One of a kind, the best! Has got to impress.

The inside improvements really spruce the place up. And for the first time in 40 years, one wasn't subjected in pre-game time to the same 5 1980 rock songs on the P.A. like AC/CD or something. For whose benefit did they do that for all these decades? Joe Sixpack went down South eons ago. The demographic to pander to is you U2 fans with degrees and granite countertops, at least.

But that outside thingy on top reminds me of when Homer Simpson won a children's contest for submitting a design update for the nuclear power plant, and only added a quite unnecessary set of aerodynamic fins to the cooling towers, and some racing stripes, but won anyway.

I live only 3 miles from the Dome and LOVE to see it in all of its iterations. It looked great last night; a deep orange that was almost red. It must be lit up early in the morning because my daughter (who has to be at the VA by 7 a.m.) says it is fun to see the different colors. I think it’s a real asset to our cityscape.

I live only 3 miles from the Dome and LOVE to see it in all of its iterations. It looked great last night; a deep orange that was almost red. It must be lit up early in the morning because my daughter (who has to be at the VA by 7 a.m.) says it is fun to see the different colors. I think it’s a real asset to our cityscape.
beadle, do you or someone you may know have any night shots of the Dome from the air with the orange lights that could be posted here?

beadle, do you or someone you may know have any night shots of the Dome from the air with the orange lights that could be posted here?
No, I’m sorry. I googled but couldn’t find anything. I will write to Donna Ditota and see what she knows. There really should be a collage of all the different colors at night.

KAYD6NOJMBBUHDXGECZCRZ7FBE.JPG

The night shots are great, thanks!

Does anyone have drone shot(s) of the dome roof with just orange in regular motion or above the Dome so you can see the lighting sequence go around the bulding like they had on ESPN to intro the SU vs. Indiana game?

I have to admit I was wrong. When it was first brought up about putting lights on the roof, I was like WTH? You're watching the games on the inside, so what difference does it make if the outside is lit? But it is really cool to have the different lights and helps make the Dome stand out and I'm sure makes the Syracuse skyline pretty neat.

Anyone else notice a difference in the interior lighting? I have a bit of a vision impairment and find it harder this year to view the game with clarity on TV. Could be just me I suppose.

The exterior lighting ROCKS.

Anyone else notice a difference in the interior lighting? I have a bit of a vision impairment and find it harder this year to view the game with clarity on TV. Could be just me I suppose.

I assume you are talking about basketball here.

The interior lighting is completely different. LED lighting instead of the old lights they used to use that took 15 minutes to get to full output.

They also changed things so the lights above the seating areas are dimmed considerably during live action, so it is harder to see the crowd in other sections.

Sitting in 310, near center court, there are a lot of reflections from the center hung scoreboard that make the court almost glow.

When I watch a game on TV now, things like really well lit and vibrant. I don't see much difference but then again I have been at most of the games in person so far.

The inside improvements really spruce the place up. And for the first time in 40 years, one wasn't subjected in pre-game time to the same 5 1980 rock songs on the P.A. like AC/CD or something. For whose benefit did they do that for all these decades? Joe Sixpack went down South eons ago. The demographic to pander to is you U2 fans with degrees and granite countertops, at least.

But that outside thingy on top reminds me of when Homer Simpson won a children's contest for submitting a design update for the nuclear power plant, and only added a quite unnecessary set of aerodynamic fins to the cooling towers, and some racing stripes, but won anyway.
Except that those lit Trusses keep hundreds of people from dying.

Thank you everyone for responding to my description of the exterior lighting.
Still haven't seen a drone shot like the one ESPN used as their intro before the Indiana game. In that shot which slowly moved forward you had a view of the entire roof structure and the orange lights performing. Wonder if ESPN has a tape they could send us?
Anybody know anyone that works at ESPN? Wonder if ADJW would have any influence getting that to us?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom