The Next Blue Curtain? | Syracusefan.com

The Next Blue Curtain?

SUOrange44

Scout Team
In one of the Carrier Dome renovation threads I actually noted that I was interested in seeing how the new roof configuration/material would impact the basketball court.

Obviously the mock up has nowhere near as much ETFE-type material but there is the possibility for an effect on the court. I attended an afternoon game at US Bank to see the Vikes and sunlight was streaming into the Stadium. Here is a link to the article that ran today on the Star Tribune site. Could this be the return of the Blue Curtain ?

Curtains

SUOrange44

Id say i wish PSU was our upset last year but they’re levels down and years away from being on Clemson’s level

In one of the Carrier Dome renovation threads I actually noted that I was interested in seeing how the new roof configuration/material would impact the basketball court.

Obviously the mock up has nowhere near as much ETFE-type material but there is the possibility for an effect on the court. I attended an afternoon game at US Bank to see the Vikes and sunlight was streaming into the Stadium. Here is a link to the article that ran today on the Star Tribune site. Could this be the return of the Blue Curtain ?

Curtains

SUOrange44
I'll actually respond to the OP. I don't think we'll have the same issue since the material we're using will be translucent instead of transparent.

So the impetus for the curtains is that it is a condition of their winning the 2019 NCAA Final Four. The NCAA insists on conditions in all venues being the same. When did we reach a point where we make $6 million expenditures on curtains to ensure game conditions in this venue are the same as game conditions in other venues.

It's interesting that they only conditions that they want to make sure are the same are the ones that don't effect their ability to sell tickets. You can't tell me that playing on the floor of a big empty box (football layout domed stadium) is the same in terms of the backdrop etc. as playing early round games in a traditional basketball arena.

Just play the games. I could think of 6 million better uses for that $6 million.

I'll actually respond to the OP. I don't think we'll have the same issue since the material we're using will be translucent instead of transparent.
The portion of the roof at US Bank using ETFE is actually translucent and my understanding is they were going to be covering it (hence the reference to the sprinklers) in the original article. US Bank Roof

SUOrange44

The portion of the roof at US Bank using ETFE is actually translucent and my understanding is they were going to be covering it (hence the reference to the sprinklers) in the original article. US Bank Roof

SUOrange44
From what I've read, the PTFE they're talking about for the Dome lets less light through than ETFE. I would be surprised if SU would invest in a roof that they had to cover for all daytime basketball games. With how quickly they have to sometimes turn it over for different events, I can't imagine hanging what they're describing in the article is something they want to mess with.

How did they win the bid to host in 2019 without some provision for this in their bid proposal?

I understand the pickle they're in now, but it would've been a lot cheaper to plan for curtains before this stadium was built, probably around the time they prepared a bid. Somebody screwed up.

How did they win the bid to host in 2019 without some provision for this in their bid proposal?

I understand the pickle they're in now, but it would've been a lot cheaper to plan for curtains before this stadium was built, probably around the time they prepared a bid. Somebody screwed up.
This was taken directly from the article:

In 2014, then-MSFA Chairwoman Michele Kelm-Helgen and the local Final Four organizing committee head, Kate Mortenson, won the right to host the NCAA event at U.S. Bank Stadium April 6-8, 2019. The bid was contingent upon the installation of curtains.

I will bet that one of the reasons the current plan is to use translucent, not transparent material for the fixed roof, is to avoid problems with telecasts on sunny afternoons.

This was taken directly from the article:

In 2014, then-MSFA Chairwoman Michele Kelm-Helgen and the local Final Four organizing committee head, Kate Mortenson, won the right to host the NCAA event at U.S. Bank Stadium April 6-8, 2019. The bid was contingent upon the installation of curtains.

I will bet that one of the reasons the current plan is to use translucent, not transparent material for the fixed roof, is to avoid problems with telecasts on sunny afternoons.
How do any open air football games ever manage to get televised? The horror... me personally I like how day and night games at the dome have a completely different feel.

How do any open air football games ever manage to get televised? The horror... me personally I like how day and night games at the dome have a completely different feel.
The point was they want the same conditions for all of the games. They don't want the early game be affected by the sun. That's perfectly reasonable. Outdoor sport vs indoor sport.

The point was they want the same conditions for all of the games. They don't want the early game be affected by the sun. That's perfectly reasonable. Outdoor sport vs indoor sport.

As long as conditions are the same for both teams have at it. Now if the sun only shines in the visiting teams eyes I guess that could be an issue.

As long as conditions are the same for both teams have at it. Now if the sun only shines in the visiting teams eyes I guess that could be an issue.
I guess they could introduce the coin toss before the tip to let each team choose their basket.

You think the complaining about officiating is loud? Play a game where the sun could be a factor and the internet would break.

Last edited:
Bigger athletes, bigger courts. Time to raise the rim to 11 feet.

The tall guys will still be closer to it. if you want to even things out, lower the rim.

Remember when the OG Bluecurtain told us how the pro courts were bigger...
That's why I think they should be taller;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom