The next two games are the key to the season. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The next two games are the key to the season.

These 2 games will probably come down to a simple formula-Can we stop the run or not?

Depends on one's expectations. If you think that this is a rebuild year still and as long as we get to 6 Ws it is still an acceptable season, then the Louisville game doesn't mean a whole lot. However if you have thrown out your early expectations and what a big season then the Louisville season is the key to that.

We just came off a high and are entering a slug fest on the road. I will be disappointed if he lose. And think we should win. But I also realize there is a really good chance we lose this one. Until our team can prove that we are consistent, we shouldn't get too far ahead of ourselves.

We did play very well on the road last year. Marrone has done well in that regard.

We had two weeks to work on execution for WV. That won't happen this week. We played a team that has a small front 3. That won't happen this week. We played a team that is soft and had their will easily beaten. That won't happen this week. We had a lot of plays break our way. That won't happen this week. We converted an insane amount of 3rd downs. That won't happen again.

I expect us to put up 24-31 points this game but it will be ugly. I can see UL playing us on D like they did last year, and like Wake this year. If we come out and try to pound the ball it will be a long day.

Don't disagree with anything there, but I think we can put together a good enough gameplan in 8 days. I like where we're trending on offense, both running and throwing, Louisville has a lot to think about and they only have 8 days to plan as well. On D, we may not have faced the physical, pound the ball team yet, but I also think our D is up for that challenge. Louisville is still going to have to make plays through the air, and it's not something they're comfortable with...yet.

If we score 31, we win (you'd think). If we score 24, we still likely win, but I know it's not going to be easy. And I know Louisville is going to be more ready than WVU was, won't have that artificially inflated sense of confidence that the Mountaineers brought in.

We did play very well on the road last year. Marrone has done well in that regard.

Different team. All we have to go off of this year is USC and Tulane and we didn't look so great in either.

Depends on one's expectations. If you think that this is a rebuild year still and as long as we get to 6 Ws it is still an acceptable season, then the Louisville game doesn't mean a whole lot. However if you have thrown out your early expectations and what a big season then the Louisville season is the key to that.

We just came off a high and are entering a slug fest on the road. I will be disappointed if he lose. And think we should win. But I also realize there is a really good chance we lose this one. Until our team can prove that we are consistent, we shouldn't get too far ahead of ourselves.
That't caught me with the commentators the other night. You don't "take the next step" when you have a great game. Teams "take the next step" when they are good consistently. A good performance is an indicator of potential. Upleveling is a function of consistency.

44cuse

I am thinking this is going to look a lot like vs. Cincy last year. Not a great QB, but a mobile one. A solid running game. A good D. Not particularly experienced or fast/overpowering, but good overall. I won't look past them, but this is a ville team that lost to FIU and Marshall.

That't caught me with the commentators the other night. You don't "take the next step" when you have a great game. Teams "take the next step" when they are good consistently. A good performance is an indicator of potential. Upleveling is a function of consistency.

44cuse
so true and that is why the next two games are big.. win the next two with good solid efforts, dosnt need to be spectacular and we are on our way

so true and that is why the next two games are big.. win the next two with good solid efforts, dosnt need to be spectacular and we are on our way
Completely agreed. That is exactly how it should be viewed.

44cuse

I agree. The Louisville and UConn games are crucial because wins agains both will truly propel the program.

I also agree that Louisville will be a very tough game. Any away game is tough and Marrone has yet to defeat the Cardinals.

We must win this game. We need to go to 6-2 heading into the UConn game.

The BE Championship is in our control. Lets go for it for gosh sakes!!!!

I agree. The Louisville and UConn games are crucial because wins agains both will truly propel the program.

I also agree that Louisville will be a very tough game. Any way game is tough and Marrone has yet to defeat the Cardinals.

We must win this game. We need to go to 6-2 heading into the UConn game.

The BE Championship is in our control. Lets go for it for gosh sakes!!!!

There are 3 conf teams Marrone hasn't beaten yet they are our 3 road games this year (which would make sense since we won all of our conf road games last year). We win all 3 this year and Marrone takes ownership of this league. Then we move on to conquer another.

Agree 100%. consistency is the key here... I just dont know why we would concede a slug fest of the offense is to turn a corner... I am not saying the corner needs to be the WVU game performance but it should be scoring 31-35 points and making Louisville counter, giving Ville a slugfest, low scoring game is exacyly what they are looking for and that will be a lose within a game, IMO. You don't get better as a program that way

If it's a slugfest I think it's because Louisville made it into that, not because we conceded it. Strong has mirrored the Marrone model by turning Louisville into a physical team. From what people have said on here, offensively that may not be as much the case this year, but defensively I think they'll give us more problems than WVU did. I'm interested to see if the continued emergence of Graham can give us a dynamic we haven't consistently had in a while.

In regards to the rest of the season, I think we can only lose two more if we want to be able to take full advantage of this last win. I'm not saying we haven't made improvement if we do lose more. I'm just saying that the national perception will be that it was a fluke. I'm looking forward to the rest of this ride.

The next few games present a very good opportunity for this program.

First, it could validate the win over West Virginia. That win has already sent out some ripples, nationally, that Syracuse football is returning to the days of old, when it was a fixture in the polls. It would convince me what type of team they really are, if they can start playing consistently. Week to week.

Secondly, a few more convincing wins over Louisville & UConn could propel the team into the top 25. A place they have not been, in a very, very long time. Breaking into the Top 25 would be noticed, nationally. The team is already starting to pick up some votes in the polls.

Third, winning the next two games would put the Orange into serious contention of winning the Big East and a BCS Bowl bid. This is very possible, IF, the team can continue to execute as they did against WV.

Not bad progress for the program (and HCDM & staff) , if they can pull it off. If they do pull it off, it should certainly help in recruiting and insure long-term (hopefully) stability for the program.

Who would have thought we would be entertaining a realistic shot at national rankings, conference championships and BCS bowls, this soon?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom