The Offense has improved a lot | Syracusefan.com

The Offense has improved a lot

Cusefan0307

Red recruits the ACC!
It’s still ISO heavy, but we have played well offensively since the Virginia game at home where we bottomed out. The N.C. State loss was due to bad defense.

Even though we only scored 62 yesterday, that was primarily due to pace as we shot 48%. If we can continue to play good defense we can win any of the games coming up as none of these teams are particularly good defensively and I think Battle/Howard and Brissett all will have good matchups.

It’s still ISO heavy, but we have played well offensively since the Virginia game at home where we bottomed out. The N.C. State loss was due to bad defense.

Even though we only scored 62 yesterday, that was primarily due to pace as we shot 48%. If we can continue to play good defense we can win any of the games coming up as none of these teams are particularly good defensively and I think Battle/Howard and Brissett all will have good matchups.

Well... somewhat.

I'm not sure that we've improved all that much, to be honest. Improvement would = consistency, which I'm not sure we can say yet. The difference, IMO, all season long has been whether we knock down shots. When we do, the offense looks solid. When we don't, our offense looks like a stagnant abomination. Battle didn't have a great game yesterday, but Frank, Oshae, and Marek picked up the slack. They made shots that haven't dropped in many games, so the offense looked "better."

Overall, it is amazing what happens when you have 4 guys who are scoring, instead of just 2. Again, not knocking your premise, but I think it is more a function of those factors than the offense improving. I will give us credit for cutting down on the turnovers -- that is definitely a sign of improved team play. Hence, the "somewhat" above.

Well... somewhat.

I'm not sure that we've improved all that much, to be honest. Improvement would = consistency, which I'm not sure we can say yet. The difference, IMO, all season long has been whether we knock down shots. When we do, the offense looks solid. When we don't, our offense looks like a stagnant abomination. Battle didn't have a great game yesterday, but Frank, Oshae, and Marek picked up the slack. They made shots that haven't dropped in many games, so the offense looked "better."

Overall, it is amazing what happens when you have 4 guys who are scoring, instead of just 2. Again, not knocking your premise, but I think it is more a function of those factors than the offense improving. I will give us credit for cutting down on the turnovers -- that is definitely a sign of improved team play. Hence, the "somewhat" above.

The big difference to me is Oshae and Marek are growing up. Oshae is a lot more efficient a than he was early in the year and Marek is finding ways to contribute. Howard has only turned the ball over 6 times in 4 games. There is better movement off the ball and more sharing of the ball. Now if we could get Chukwu to make layups we will be in business.

Last edited:
Offense has been really good since UVA.
It’s not consistent but it has been a lot better.
When we had ball movement and weren’t lazy it was a good offense.
We were great moving around when we got the lead up to 12 and then got lazy a couple of possessions in a row the lead evaporated.

Marek hitting cutters and passing was good. He should be in the middle on offense and let him help make offense when the ISO doesn’t work.

we need that fourth threat. marek has to be enough of a threat to draw a man even if he does not score much. it is when his man can drop off with impunity that the space closes for our big three.

marek's progression and oshae's starting to make some treys have really opened things up.

earlier in the season i felt that we could conceivably lose to anyone. that may or may not still be true, but at least now i feel like we could conceivably beat anybody. the upcoming duke and nc games will prove or disprove that hypothesis very quickly.

the only thing you control is the amount of good shots.. making them makes you look even better. had we just made 2-3 of the simple layups we score 70.

the same goes for D, you try to limit the amount of good shots the Opp takes.

Good stuff. I agree on both the improvement and the need for consistency to lock in the answer.

I think the biggest factor is Marek. His skillset is unique and he brings the glue guy element when he is scoring alongside the other elements. He is the best passer on the team and we need him to be that guy on the regular to get that consistency.

While still pretty bad, it appears we're at least trying to improve things. I've seen more ball movement and more aggressive attempts to get shots for non-ball handlers. There have been some screens to get OB some open jumpers. The ball has been moving a bit more before 5-10 on the shot clock. It's still not great and probably needs a ton more work, but there has been some improvement.

I think Marek instead of Moyer has helped a lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom