The Official "Favorite Beer Thread" | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

The Official "Favorite Beer Thread"

There's a place here in Rochester that has Dales Pale Ale on draft. My wife is sometimes reluctant to go there because it's usually touble. Turns out she likes it just as much as I do. :)

That's a good woman! My wife usually stares in disbelief at some of the dark or hoppy brews I order and enjoy.

Never been to Rochester. My Cuse commute goes from PA to Bingo to Cuse. In Bingo we usually hit Cyber West cafe and/or Sam's and then just stay home.

I very much prefer German beer (bier). Hence my list:

Ayinger Celebrator
Ayinger Oktoberfest Marzen
Weihenstephaner Hefeweissen
Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest
Paulaner Oktoberfest
Aventinus
Ayinger Ur-weisse
Weihenstephaner Vitus
Weihenstephaner Korbinian

I've also liked several of the Belgians I've tried, like the Westveltlerens (sp.?) and Trappistes (sp.?), but they are not malty/ hoppy enough for my palate.

I am beginning to explore some USA makers, starting with Avery - specifically The Kaiser, which is an Oktoberfest style but tastes like a hybrid German Marzen / Belgian.

I've been looking everywhere for those Plinys! Had Avery Maharaja (Double IPA) for the first time this summer on tap in Fayetteville, AR. Really good.

What is your favorite beer choice while watching a Syracuse sporting event?
Well that's a loaded question:

For football games the tailgate starts with a Syracuse Pale Ale, then the PBRs are there as the filler beer, and shotgun beer should the need arise, all accompanied by a 6 pack or two of beer from the visiting team's home area.

For basketball games its tall Bud Heavy in the plastic Dome Foam cup, with a Dogfish Head when the mood strikes.

Favorite beer overall? Well that depends on the season.

I just like beer.

I've been looking everywhere for those Plinys! Had Avery Maharaja (Double IPA) for the first time this summer on tap in Fayetteville, AR. Really good.

I heard that Kegs at one point made it to the specialty beer bars in Philly and NY, not sure if that is still the case. Bottles just don't make it to the East Coast unless someone sends them to you personally as far as I can tell.

Dales Pale Ale - Oskar Blues Grill & Brewery

Flower Power (IPA) - Ithaca Brewing Co.

Double Jack (Double IPA) - Firestone Walker Brewing Company

I have serious issues with IPA's. Anyone reccommend any other good IPA's?

I'm not an IPA fan really but Longhammer IPA is the one I like the best.

I have tried a bunch of craft beers. I tend to like dark beers best. Duck Rabbit Milk Stout is great out of NC. Another Milk Sout that is easier to get is Left Hand out of CO. I would have to say Sam Adams puts out some really good beers and are carried pretty well. I like their Octoberfest Winter lager. They had a holiday pack that had a Coco porter I think that was really good. Terrapin Moo Hoo is good. Another NC beer is Highland Oatmeal Porter. So many great beers out there. If anyone has any dark beer suggestions I would love to hear them. Of course Guiness is a staple

I have tried a bunch of craft beers. I tend to like dark beers best. Duck Rabbit Milk Stout is great out of NC. Another Milk Sout that is easier to get is Left Hand out of CO. I would have to say Sam Adams puts out some really good beers and are carried pretty well. I like their Octoberfest Winter lager. They had a holiday pack that had a Coco porter I think that was really good. Terrapin Moo Hoo is good. Another NC beer is Highland Oatmeal Porter. So many great beers out there. If anyone has any dark beer suggestions I would love to hear them. Of course Guiness is a staple

I had highland oatmeal when I was down in SC in November. Really good stuff.

If you like stouts, Founders Breakfast Stout is really good. It's a real pain in the ass to find though. It's brewed in Michigan and I've yet to find any place in Upstate NY that carries it.

If you like stouts, Founders Breakfast Stout is really good. It's a real pain in the ass to find though. It's brewed in Michigan and I've yet to find any place in Upstate NY that carries it.

It's available down here in PA but still hard to get. My buddy got a case of it a couple months back. Very good stuff.

I'm still shocked that I'm the only one to mention Duvel in this whole thread. It really is one of the worlds best beers.

It's available down here in PA but still hard to get. My buddy got a case of it a couple months back. Very good stuff.

I'm still shocked that I'm the only one to mention Duvel in this whole thread. It really is one of the worlds best beers.

I've heard good things about Duvel. I've tried a few Belgian pale ale's and didn't love the taste. Maybe I just tried the wrong ones.

I've heard good things about Duvel. I've tried a few Belgian pale ale's and didn't love the taste. Maybe I just tried the wrong ones.

Its usually listed as a BSPA but in reality its somewhere between a BSPA and TRIPPLE IMO. Its an absolute must try! One of the most unique beers I have ever had not sure I could ever tire of it.

Its usually listed as a BSPA but in reality its somewhere between a BSPA and TRIPPLE IMO. Its an absolute must try! One of the most unique beers I have ever had not sure I could ever tire of it.

Good to know. I'll definitely give it a try.

Great suggestion. I've had it before and it was really good. Some of those beer carry some hefty ABV %

As an aside, I have always thought that if I ever started a band, I'd name it Free Beer. The sign outside the bar would say "Free Beer Tonight!" We'd pack 'em in.

As an aside, I have always thought that if I ever started a band, I'd name it Free Beer. The sign outside the bar would say "Free Beer Tonight!" We'd pack 'em in.

There used to be a band that toured bars in upstate named "Free Beer and Chicken" good name, OK band but they always had a crowd. Figured it was the name. I want to say it would have been late 90's that they were around.

I don't drink anymore and I will probably get laughed at for this, but while I enjoyed several types of beer, my all time favorite was Vienna Splits (OV's). :)

I don't drink anymore and I will probably get laughed at for this, but while I enjoyed several types of beer, my all time favorite was Vienna Splits (OV's). :)
:rolling::rolling::rolling:

I knew you would be the first to laugh. ;)

Hey, I drank Matt's splits back in the day. (Or Matt's Splats as they were known.) Worked at a bar where you could get 5 for $1.

I am beginning to explore some USA makers, starting with Avery - specifically The Kaiser, which is an Oktoberfest style but tastes like a hybrid German Marzen / Belgian.

Avery is one of my favorites by far, the only real brewery in Boulder, CO. Never had a bad beer from them and the only one that didnt impress me was "Karma". It wasn't bad, it was just plain and didn't live up to my lofty expectations of them.

I have celiac disease so I can't drink regular beer.

So Guinness, Heineken, Stella and Sierra Nevada turned into my favorite Gluten-Free Beers:

Green's, Daura, St. Peters and, as the less expensive standby, Redbridge.

And CTO, I drink a lot more Red since I was dx'd, so I'll try that pinot you recommended.

God I wish they still made these. So money

There is a BRAZILIAN beer out there called Xingu

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/434/1314

^^ gave it only an 80 but I think it is more reflective of the non-popularity of the style.

I think it is pretty damn tasty myself, and suggest you grab some if you see it, but it is hard to find.

I like that one a lot (I've been slow to participate in this thread because there are too many to list).

As a bonus, for the D.C. residents discussing SU bars, Xingu is on tap at a bar called Acacia. It's on Connecticut, one block north of the Van Ness Metro.

Haven't found it Upstate, sadly, but I haven't looked too carefully.