The Official 'Is Rutgers a rival?' thread | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

The Official 'Is Rutgers a rival?' thread

Well, according to Al, Rutgers has now moved from being the USC of the East to the OSU of the East. Oh, and he wants Tim Tebow brought in as a Grad Assistant. LMAO.

Well, according to Al, Rutgers has now moved from being the USC of the East to the OSU of the East. Oh, and he wants Tim Tebow brought in as a Grad Assistant. LMAO.
OSU meaning Oregon State? Of course that would still be a step up.

IMO, Rutgers is a hated school and I loathe their fanbase. Let me put it this way, there aren't many other programs that I would rather beat right now than Rutgers. Of course, it would be great to beat FSU or Clemson, but I would bathe in Rutgers' tears if we get a chance to whoop them again.

People can bring up the 50s and 60s, but c'mon, over the last 15 years, Rutgers is a better program than us and have completely overtaken our NJ recruiting areas.

If I see a Rutgers fan in the Dome, my blood boils. If I see a Clemson fan, it doesn't bother me too much.

This thread is a perfect example of why they are a rival or whatever you want to call it, IMO. No other school has a 3,000 post thread on our board.

I saw a whole 200 or so RU fans at Dome in the final SU/RU game. It's pretty much an internet thing.

I've actually read posts on their forums that essentially claimed it was them, WVU, and Louisville that travelled the best back in the Big East.

I've actually read posts on their forums that essentially claimed it was them, WVU, and Louisville that travelled the best back in the Big East.

They might be. The difference being when WVU and Louisville fans travel, they go to the game, Rutgers fans just leaving Jersey is called traveling and they just tie that in with football cause it makes it sound like they actually went.

IMO, Rutgers is a hated school and I loathe their fanbase. Let me put it this way, there aren't many other programs that I would rather beat right now than Rutgers. Of course, it would be great to beat FSU or Clemson, but I would bathe in Rutgers' tears if we get a chance to whoop them again.

People can bring up the 50s and 60s, but c'mon, over the last 15 years, Rutgers is a better program than us and have completely overtaken our NJ recruiting areas.

If I see a Rutgers fan in the Dome, my blood boils. If I see a Clemson fan, it doesn't bother me too much.

This thread is a perfect example of why they are a rival or whatever you want to call it, IMO. No other school has a 3,000 post thread on our board.
You can add the 80's & 90's to the beat down times. 15 years doesn't make a rivalry and I see Rutgers on the same level as Colgate. Until they win something that is an actual accomplishment I will look at them as the rest of the nation does...lower level school. Just because SU has a decade of down years it doesn't diminish their history. Rutgers history is that of a losing program. True football fans look at programs as a whole not the past few years.

They have had better success but its because we suck not theyve been good. Lets be honest, they act like theyre relevant, yet theyve literally not had any great years ever.

You can add the 80's & 90's to the beat down times. 15 years doesn't make a rivalry and I see Rutgers on the same level as Colgate. Until they win something that is an actual accomplishment I will look at them as the rest of the nation does...lower level school. Just because SU has a decade of down years it doesn't diminish their history. Rutgers history is that of a losing program. True football fans look at programs as a whole not the past few years.

They have had better success but its because we suck not theyve been good. Lets be honest, they act like theyre relevant, yet theyve literally not had any great years ever.

We will always agree to disagree and that's ok. Either way, no one here likes them at all. Many hate them, so F them.

We will always agree to disagree and that's ok. Either way, no one here likes them at all. Many hate them, so F them.
As much as I hate it - the last 15 years are all that matter. Baylor is a power now as are Oregon and TCU. These three programs were irrelevant historically. Just like Syracuse football has become irrelevant these last 15 years. (Soon to change!!!)

It actually would help Syracuse to have a strong rival in Rutgers - and have a year end tilt. Big 10 v ACC, etc. All the big boys in the ACC have year end inter-conference games (Fl St., Clump., Ga Tech, Lou.). So should we. And it should be in NYC.

As much as I hate it - the last 15 years are all that matter. Baylor is a power now as are Oregon and TCU. These three programs were irrelevant historically. Just like Syracuse football has become irrelevant these last 15 years. (Soon to change!!!)

It actually would help Syracuse to have a strong rival in Rutgers - and have a year end tilt. Big 10 v ACC, etc. All the big boys in the ACC have year end inter-conference games (Fl St., Clump., Ga Tech, Lou.). So should we. And it should be in NYC.

Um Baylor, TCU and Oregon actually have a pretty good football history ... In fact each of those schools have participated in more bowl games than SU sans Baylor who is 4 behind. Each school has had a fair share of talent over the years including some names like Mike Singletary, Joey Harrington, Jim Swink Sammy Baugh, Mel Renfro and others. RU on the other hand is a complete joke historically. To say Baylor, TCU and Oregon are irrelevant historically is a farce. FYI in 1956 TCU beat us in the Cotton Bowl this isn't their first rodeo so to speak.

Oregon was terrible for 30 years - I mean Northwestern in 80's level terrible. As were Baylor and TCU.

Oregon was terrible for 30 years - I mean Northwestern in 80's level terrible. As were Baylor and TCU.

And we've been terrible for 15 years with the exception of about 4 ... again they are not irrelevant programs.

CuseCactus said:
All the big boys in the ACC have year end inter-conference games (Fl St., Clump., Ga Tech, Lou.). So should we. And it should be in NYC.

I agree. Just substitute Rutgers with WVU.

If you lay down with dogs, you get fleas.

Any association with this football program with this pathetic history can only degrade the SU brand and tradition.

And your saying, "The last 15 years are all that matter" are in the words of The Dude, "Your opinion, man".

If you lay down with dogs, you get fleas.

Any association with this football program with this pathetic history can only degrade the SU brand and tradition.

And your saying, "The last 15 years are all that matter" are in the words of The Dude, "Your opinion, man".
The Dude abides.

Killdozer said:
So, being a winning program is required in order for a rivalry to exist??? Tell that to Ithaca/Cortland, Lehigh/Lafayette, etc. There are a lot of rivalries that exist between low-level programs.

And what exactly makes a "true football fan"? Is there some list of characteristics out there? I want to see how I measure up.

So, being a winning program is required in order for a rivalry to exist??? Tell that to Ithaca/Cortland, Lehigh/Lafayette, etc. There are a lot of rivalries that exist between low-level programs.

And what exactly makes a "true football fan"? Is there some list of characteristics out there? I want to see how I measure up.
Ithaca is a low-level program? Tell that to the 3 National Championships.

Rutgers is not a rival. More like a pimple that shows up on prom night. There are two things you can do, let it hang around and get sore causing a little discomfort or you can pop it and make it go away.

There are many things that make up a rivalry. In those two cases it is proximity. Syracuse and Rutgers shared a league for a few years and played many games for many years, but Syracuse was always a much better program until recently. It is difficult to erase the decades of being the whipping boy. I think it would be easier to start a rivalry with a team you haven't played as much than to try to start one with one that you beat down for decades.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom