The One Thing I Hope The Coaches Take Away from this Game | Syracusefan.com

The One Thing I Hope The Coaches Take Away from this Game

OrangeinBoston

All Conference
That good things can happen when you throw the ball DOWNFIELD. West's two catches, the TD to Lemon, the TD to Provo, the if-Nassib-only-saw-him-running-totally-open-behind-the-defense no throw to Chew. And I do not think that they are always looking to do this. I think they are hesitent, afraid of interceptions, too conservative and cautious, etc., etc.

people should not also forget that most of this happened off play action because we actually had a running game.

people should not also forget that most of this happened off play action because we actually had a running game.

To rush the ball as they did against a defense designed to stop the run was an excellent accomplishment. SU will be a better offensive team as a result.

However, I just looked at the highlights on OAA. The TDs to Provo & Lemon and one of the passes to West were straight dropbacks - no play action. The other throw to west was not featured, but I'm pretty sure that was a straight drop back as well. (The long run after the catch by Provo was off play action.) Sometimes you just have to throw the ball.

Absolutely agree! And the line gave Nassib a little more time so the recievers could actually get down field. I don't think the coaches didn't wanted to stretch the field before. I think they couldn't because the o-line play was so bad. All of those short passes and roll outs were out of necessity the first two games, not by choice.

faking a hand off does not mean that the D is not looking for the run.. and the lemon play was with empty backfield

That good things can happen when you throw the ball DOWNFIELD. West's two catches, the TD to Lemon, the TD to Provo, the if-Nassib-only-saw-him-running-totally-open-behind-the-defense no throw to Chew. And I do not think that they are always looking to do this. I think they are hesitent, afraid of interceptions, too conservative and cautious, etc., etc.

Or look how easy it is to throw down field when your offence is 2- dimensional. Remember Nassib is the one that decides to check down not the coaches so he just needs to be a little more aggressive in some situations