The one thing I wish JB would get with the NBA draft | Syracusefan.com

The one thing I wish JB would get with the NBA draft

Alsacs

Living Legend
Players stock rarely goes up by coming back. He talks about leaving when your a lottery pick.

He is right but I would say leave if your a first round pick is more accurate.

The NBA draft is becoming a freshman prospect draft.
I agree with his premise but these players don't typically go from the 20s to the top 10.
Buddy Hield is the only example I can see from last year. He went top 10 last year but he wasn't projected in the first round 2 years ago.

The NBA cares that Hield is 23 while Jaylen Brown is 19.
The NBA wants these kids younger for upside which sucks but until more Buddy Hield's are top 10 picks players are going to leave.
JB gets this I believe but he is like us fans and wants these kids to stay.

I did like JB saying he supports kids when they make their decision.

That is why we all know Battle is gone next year. Thompson might be as well. We will milk their production for next year for sure.

Players stock rarely goes up by coming back. He talks about leaving when your a lottery pick.

I agree with his premise but these players don't typically go from the 20s to the top 10.
Buddy Hield is the only example I can see from last year. He went top 10 last year but he wasn't projected in the first round 2 years ago.

The NBA wants these kids younger for upside which sucks but until more Buddy Hield's are top 10 picks players are going to leave.

That is why we all know Battle is gone next year. Thompson might be as well. We will milk their production for next year for sure.
Agree with all of this.

Part of me just wishes the NBA would just let high schoolers back in. Either that or go the route of baseball. Either go pro, or commit to three years+.

I wish posters on the board would understand this. JB doesn't berate the kids like some fans do. He's disappointed, but moves on. People like Briancuse won't ever let up on their opinion, even years later.

There's only one upperclassman in the lottery projected by draftexpress.

Last year, two went in the lottery. Heild and Dunn. In 2015, there were four, in 2014, two again.

Staying and improving your draft stock doesn't really work. Look at Ivan Rabb. Look at Marcus Smart.

A good example of this is probably CJ Fair

I don't know -- Fair was a pretty under-the-radar recruit (three stars if I remember correctly) due to an injury. But I don't really remember him doing anything but improving. The issue is that he really wasn't a great fit in the NBA as a frosh or a senior.

The NCAA has refused to adapt to the changing landscape over the last 30 years. The NBA is taking prospects younger than ever because they only want to draft on potential. The NCAA could respond with rule changes to retain the talent but the dinosaur in charge would rather say things like "players will be paid over my dead body." He sounds smart.

Boeheim didn't say kids should stay until they are lottery picks. He said all coaches want a kid to stay unless he is in the lottery. It's not our decision though. It's the players decision and his families. No matter what decision he makes we will support him and he is a great kid. This is literally the best possible answer to that questions you could expect from Jim Boeheim.

Last year, two went in the lottery. Heild and Dunn. In 2015, there were four, in 2014, two again.

Staying and improving your draft stock doesn't really work. Look at Ivan Rabb. Look at Marcus Smart.

Yeah but we've had kids leave with little to no chance at getting drafted in the first. What's that about?

Yeah but we've had kids leave with little to no chance at getting drafted in the first. What's that about?

Which was whom? Jerami Grant?

I don't know -- Fair was a pretty under-the-radar recruit (three stars if I remember correctly) due to an injury. But I don't really remember him doing anything but improving. The issue is that he really wasn't a great fit in the NBA as a frosh or a senior.
Yeah, I think the reference was after his junior year, there were talks of him perhaps squeaking into the first round, or early second. He ended up having a good not great senior year(just not a whole lot of improvement from the previous year, at least not the expected amount) and then ended up undrafted.

Boeheim didn't say kids should stay until they are lottery picks. He said all coaches want a kid to stay unless he is in the lottery. It's not our decision though. It's the players decision and his families. No matter what decision he makes we will support him and he is a great kid. This is literally the best possible answer to that questions you could expect from Jim Boeheim.
Jim Boeheim calls Malachi Richardson's rising NBA Draft stock 'media nonsense'

"Boeheim believes most players projected to go between Nos. 22 and 30 should return to school if there's potential for upward mobility. Winning teams draft late in the order and often stash picks in the NBA Development League or overseas.

Players drafted earlier than that are more likely to be needed immediately, Boeheim said. And those in the lottery almost have to be played due to pressure in management and the coaching staff."

JB was smart to say he will support a kid's decision.
Kids stock rarely goes from 20s to lottery.
The longer you stay in college the more flaws are discovered.
I want kids to stay for selfish reasons but I think
they are all smart to leave as early as they can get drafted in the first round.

Agree with all of this but I'm not sure draft position is the end all and be all for these guys. Yes, if you are Jaylen Brown, and you are the no. 3 pick in the draft there is literally no possible argument that you should return. But the key for him is b/c the investment is so great, the Celtics have to have some patience and try and develop him. They have too much financial commitment to pull the plug quickly.

If you go at 25, however, a team wants you to develop and they'll work with you but they have nowhere near the financial incentive to do so for any length of time.

Why does that matter? Well, the point is that Buddy Hield has a huge senior year and while he gets drafted below brown, he has had a really solid rookie year (playing in 70 games, starting in 43; around 10 ppg for the season and has been really good in sacramento scoring ~14/game on 50% shooting). Brown's been fine but Hield is ready to play and succeed. So while the draft position is lower, he's going to have a lot more leverage if these trends continue next year for contract no. 2 -- a huge key to making a ton of money -- vs. Brown.

Anyway, you can discuss this in a lot of different ways, but my point on kids leaving is that I'd want whatever my carrying tool is to be ready for the NBA before I leave -- Waiters is a scorer and explosive athlete, so he was ready. MCW was 6-6 and could play the point and got a bunch of minutes under his belt while finishing strong his soph year, I get why he leaves.

But Richardson is a scorer who didn't really score or shoot consistently in college. Lydon is a stretch 4 who teams are going to like far more for his offense than his defense, yet he didn't really play well offensively for much of the season.

At the end of the day, I'm really happy for the kids that get the opportunity to move on and I hold zero ill will toward Lydon for making his decision. I also don't argue that Lydon coming back means a significant improvement in draft status next year. I'm simply saying that if I'm advising him, if I feel he has work to do on his game I'd rather know he was going to be playing 40 mpg as one of the primary focal points of a major college team, then sitting on a bench or riding around on a D League bus next year. Is that what he's destined for? I don't know, I'm just saying he's the type of kid who has a lot of offensive upside but I'd feel weird advising him to leave after watching him play so tentatively this season.

This is easily the single most misunderstood thing by fans. I assume because of selfishness. At least I hope it's that. Otherwise, they have no clue.

Those who speak of players leaving early being a bad decision, seemingly do not know the NBA.

I'll take the guy who has coached with Team USA and has been with the best of the best in the world over someone on a message board's opinion any day of the week.

This is easily the single most misunderstood thing by fans. I assume because of selfishness. At least I hope it's that. Otherwise, they have no clue.

Those who speak of players leaving early being a bad decision, seemingly do not know the NBA.

I agree. When opportunity knocks offering millions of dollars, these kids would be foolish not to take advantage of that opportunity. There is absolutely no guarantee they will be drafter higher the following year or suffer a devastating injury in college.

Lydon is going to be a role-player in the NBA if he sticks on a roster. His career is probably better served being drafted by an organization like the Spurs, Cavs or Warriors (late in the 1st) that could actually use him in that role and develop him appropriately rather than being drafted by a dumpster fire organization like Sacramento. I wish all of our former players the best in the NBA and love it when they are able to stick in the league.

I wish posters on the board would understand this. JB doesn't berate the kids like some fans do. He's disappointed, but moves on. People like Briancuse won't ever let up on their opinion, even years later.

Which player who I was critical of leaving is lighting up the Nba right now?

Which player who I was critical of leaving is lighting up the Nba right now?

You just don't get it. A player who leaves doesn't have to be a damn all-star. It's their life. They jump when their stock is at its highest.

Though, I know you think coming back will magically raise their stock. Even as you constantly say they are average, and won't make it. Throwing in the jabs with going to Europe. So, why care if they come back? Simply, it's because you care about your happiness more than what is best for them. Yeah, yeah. Bring up a few basketball guys who agree with you.

It's very simple economics, and capitalism. Lydon comes back, and it's a huge risk to his future. Same with every player who has left early. If you're 1st round then you can't blame them. I know it hurts that some teams get their players to stick around. Circumstances are different. Everyone is not the same.

No point in wasting my time, as you will never even open your mind an iota to the other side.

"The longer you stay the more flaws are discovered"
In that case the NBA would benefit if the players stayed 2, maybe 3 years in college. This way NBA scouts/teams wouldn't have to lie to players and agents just to get them into the draft in order to stock the developmental league.
What would be "fair" or should I say beneficial to all parties involved would be if you are not a first round guaranteed pick then you as the player have the option to return even if you have an agent/advisor just like college baseball.

You just don't get it. A player who leaves doesn't have to be a damn all-star. It's their life. They jump when their stock is at its highest.

Though, I know you think coming back will magically raise their stock. Even as you constantly say they are average, and won't make it. Throwing in the jabs with going to Europe. So, why care if they come back? Simply, it's because you care about your happiness more than what is best for them. Yeah, yeah. Bring up a few basketball guys who agree with you.

It's very simple economics, and capitalism. Lydon comes back, and it's a huge risk to his future. Same with every player who has left early. If you're 1st round then you can't blame them. I know it hurts that some teams get their players to stick around. Circumstances are different. Everyone is not the same.

No point in wasting my time, as you will never even open your mind an iota to the other side.

Ok, who is the guy who I was critical of leaving, is even making somewhat of an impact on the next level? A few weeks ago I put on a Kings game, because I wanted to watch Malachi, and he wasn't even on the roster. This idea that you can't get better in college is just comical.

Ok, who is the guy who I was critical of leaving, is even making somewhat of an impact on the next level? A few weeks ago I put on a Kings game, because I wanted to watch Malachi, and he wasn't even on the roster. This idea that you can't get better in college is just comical.

I would rather have a prostrate exam than continue to explain the same thing over, and over to you.

I would rather have a prostrate exam than continue to explain the same thing over, and over to you.

You just keep repeating the same facts over and over again, and refuse to acknowledge that guys are capable of improving.

You just keep repeating the same facts over and over again, and refuse to acknowledge that guys are capable of improving.

You win. They can't improve in the NBA, only at Syracuse for your fulfillment.