The Paterno Situation | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The Paterno Situation

Joe Pa guilty or no

• Guilty

Votes: 22 95.7%
  • Not guilty

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
I guess the process is just failed. I just can't get past the fact that there's a structure in place where a coach would have to tell the head coach, who would then report it to his "superiors" (and I use that term loosely, since JoePa really had no superiors at the school).

Is it really just because this happened on school property that he had to go up the chain of command, so to speak? If I see someone raping a guy on the street, for instance, I'm not telling my boss. I'm calling the cops. But this starts with McQueary; you saw it, you call the cops. You're the primary witness.

I dont disagree that they could have just told McQ to call the cops. If I was advising that is exactly what I would have done. But I think you have to take into account that McQ had known this guy since he was a kid, who knows how much influence he had on him, Paterno had coached with him for 25 years. There is probably just some initial shock about what is being told to you at that point, dont you think? I dont think it is inappropriate at all to go up the chain and seek advice on how to handle, etc after hearing the story once (and again). I mean, lets assume that JoePa is telling the truth and this is the first nugget of info he had ever heard about this (unlikely...but lets assume)...isnt it worth hearing the story once or twice to make sure McQ is telling the truth, going to superiors and figuring out best course (which should have been calling the cops). What if McQ had a grudge against Sandusky and he just made it all up? Doesnt the coach and admin have a responsibility at least initially to figure out what the f happened?

If McQueary gets fired because of what he reported, does he not have the easiest law suit in history?

What is the suit? Whistleblowing? I dont know. He saw the incident 9 years ago and testified in front of a grand jury about the information. Not sure he would be protected for that now. If they had fired him in 2002 for telling them the information, absolutely.

I've asked myself that same question. All I can think of as an answer is that McQueary is a witness to the shower incident of victim one. He says that he saw Sandusky having sex with a ten year old. He said that he told this to Paterno, Shultz and Curly. Shultz and Curley denied this to the Grand Jury, and they referred to the incident as "horsing around." Both have been indicted for prejury. I believe that the Board felt an obligation to keep him (for that I find this unforgivable).
Even given that, he should have been put on administrative leave, not on the sidelines or in the booth! It's outrageous, but this whole cover up makes me ill.

The telephone game/lost in translation stuff between what McQ told Paterno and what Schultz and Curley told the grand jury is unbelievable. To me, this reeks of them trying to sweep it under the rug. Even "horsing around" should have been reported. Admins at PSU knew about the 1998 incident (although they say Paterno didnt know).

This is a much more complicated set of situations than is being acknowledged. We're reading a brief that condenses a lot of time into one ten minute reading.

1. Every one seems to have been afraid of losing their jobs. THAT is to be expected, regardless of the crime. Not saying it's excusable. But, it's reality.
2. Only two people are reported to have witnessed explicit acts. Neither of them called the police. Both reported the activity to superiors. And, that's where it gets 'gray.'
• No one knows the law fully enough to know about 'statutory' obligations and the like.
• There's an expectation, when you are an employee within a larger organization, that you report to a superior and do not take upon yourself certain responsibilities that will certainly affect that organization on a large scale. Calling the police in any of these situations would have done just that. It's a common expectation that the superior will do the proper thing and will rely on you to support that action. But, in this case, everyone who was 'reported to' also had a superior to report to. A long chain of nothing.
3. People are saying what Paterno should have done... Put it into context. Someone tells YOU that your close friend/associate is involved in something this vile. You know that person in a completely different way. First— are you automatically going to believe the accusation? How long would it take you to process that claim and then decide where you stood with regard to loyalty to your friend versus a moral obligation to promote an accusation you have no foundation to trust? And remember you've got a LONG history with this person. Friends tend to get the benefit of the doubt. Paterno is reported to have waited until the next day to report it to his administration. It doesn't say if he attempted to report it sooner/the same day as he was told.
4. There are also legal ramifications for promoting false rumors. It is not unheard of for a person to make an accusation against another person for reasons altogether different from what is truth. Paterno had to process that.
5. Let's assume the allegations were made, and Sandusky's privileges were revoked. And, people SAW Sandusky continue to use the facilities. You also have to assume that all of this was privileged/confidential/private information. If you saw the man walking around after hearing about an accusation, you'd have to assume that the investigation proved nothing or that it proved to be false. What else are you going to do? You'd walk up to Sandusky and ask him if he buggers kids?
6. Although it won't be popular, i will always question what's in the minds of those 12 and 13 year old kids. I know they were manipulated and exploited. But, one of these victims had oral sex performed on him 20 times. And, THEN he grew too 'uncomfortable' with the situation? Where are the parents? Thinking back about my Little League days... There is ZERO possibility any adult gets even a second 'grope' on me. Tickling and showering? My god, no.
7. Jerry Sandusky is clearly a sick individual. Can't say that i feel sorry for him. Not in the least. He's predatory and needs to feel the full weight of the law. But, as a psych major, it still gets to me, how a mind like that 'works.' It's one thing to do your evil deeds in public. But, taking it to the school's showers... Gotta believe the risk was part of the kick. And, that just makes it sicker. Was he hoping to be caught? To end it all.
8. Damn, i feel bad for his wife and family.

What is the suit? Whistleblowing? I dont know. He saw the incident 9 years ago and testified in front of a grand jury about the information. Not sure he would be protected for that now. If they had fired him in 2002 for telling them the information, absolutely.

Yeah sorry, that's what I meant. Responding to the point that he didn't say anything in 2002 because he was afraid for his job.

Don't get my wrong, I think Sandusky should fry. But I think JoPa is a scapegoat. The way I'm understanding the situation, it's sounds like Paterno never saw anything, heard about it, and reported it. If my neighbor told me my other neighbor killed someone I didn't know would I get in trouble for not reporting it?? I heard about OJ and didn't report that. If this were JB I would drive to Cuse and burn down a building.

So I just want to make sure i understand your position...

Joe hears that his friend and ex-assistant is raping kids in the shower. You dutifully report said rape. And you are really thinking that this is the end of his responsibility? And you are joe a couple of years later and you know that this friend, who was just raping kids a couple of yrs ago, is still hanging out with children on school grounds. And you have no further responsibility? doesnt a lightbulb go off in joe's head at that point questioning whether this guy should be with kids?

let me guess...you dont have kids, right?

PSU administration on this one
7gngg.gif

Don't get my wrong, I think Sandusky should fry. But I think JoPa is a scapegoat. The way I'm understanding the situation, it's sounds like Paterno never saw anything, heard about it, and reported it. If my neighbor told me my other neighbor killed someone I didn't know would I get in trouble for not reporting it?? I heard about OJ and didn't report that. If this were JB I would drive to Cuse and burn down a building.
Guilty of what? At least of atrocious judgement and moral cowardice. And, it may go well beyond that.

Check out this piece by Tom Boswell of the Wash Post: http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...wise/2011/11/09/gIQAYwxf6M_story.html?hpid=z1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom