The people who really have a right to be upset... | Syracusefan.com

The people who really have a right to be upset...

Scooch

Living Legend
...are the players. If committment is a two-way street, as people like Go suggest re: Marrone and SU, then it is that way between a player and coach as well.

Doug was fully aware of the resource challenges he faced, particularly the past couple years, and he brought a few dozen kids into the program anyway. Unlike fans, who are just along for a ride of their own volition, the players should feel betrayed. Doug bailed on them. He's not the first coach to do it, nor the last, and he may have good reasons for doing so, but make no mistake, he bailed on them.

...are the players. If committment is a two-way street, as people like Go suggest re: Marrone and SU, then it is that way between a player and coach as well.

Doug was fully aware of the resource challenges he faced, particularly the past couple years, and he brought a few dozen kids into the program anyway. Unlike fans, who are just along for a ride of their own volition, the players should feel betrayed. Doug bailed on them. He's not the first coach to do it, nor the last, and he may have good reasons for doing so, but make no mistake, he bailed on them.
Those players should understand more than anyone. Marrone is taking the opportunity to go to the NFL when it is given to him. Who can blame him?

These players will declare for the draft the minute they think they can make it to the NFL in an early round. They 'bail' when given the chance; and the coaches and most sane fans thank them, wish them well, and move on.

Marrone won't be the first college coach to take an NFL job, and he won't be the last.

How many college coaches bailed this season to take another college job?

As Hyman Roth said: "this is the business we've chosen".

Isn't that a risk at any program? It "comes with the territory". If you pick a school to play at based on the likelihood the coach will be in place during all 5 of your years of eligibility, then what you end up doing is not choosing any school where the coach is currently doing well or doing poorly. What does that leave.

Should Doug, when understanding the resource challenges, not have recruited any players?

Success --- even the relative success Marrone has had at SU --- comes at a price. Coaches and even whole coaching staffs are likely to move on.

Coaches that do well get better gigs. Coaches that don't do well are frequently fired.

Who gets the blame for "betrayal of the players" when an under-performing coach is fired?

He didn't bail on them, he took a job in the NFL just like they want to do someday and if they can't understand that then they are not being honest to themselves. Now, it does matter on how Marrone handle(s) it when dealing with his ex players, that to me will show what kind of man Marrone really is.

Yes he bailed on them. And coaches do leave. But he didn't just bail, he lied to them.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

But only the unsigned commits get to bail on us. All I think Scooch is really saying is that if this year's frosh, soph, juniors, had the ability to bail on SU, like the coach did, than even they wouldn't have the right to be upset. Since they can't bail as easily, he can understand if they are upset.

I wish they would change that rule when a coach leaves on their own volition. If the coach is fired, that's different. The players losing games contributed to that, so they are partially responsible. But if the coach bails on their own because the players won on the field, then all of the current players he recruited should be given the opportunity to transfer out and play the next year at their new school if they so desire.

Never going to happen, but that is what I think should be allowed.

Off the soapbox.

and

LGO!!!!

Cheers,
Neil

Yes he bailed on them. And coaches do leave. But he didn't just bail, he lied to them.

Agreed it int one or the other. He bailed for a better opportunity. Doesn't mean the players or fans for that manner can't feel some betrayal. The good news for most of the players is there are more important relationships that they have built on campus . Where we are seeing the immediate impact s our recruits, Gus opening up recruiting, Malik Brown seems very upset...time will tell where we land

But only the unsigned commits get to bail on us. All I think Scooch is really saying is that if this year's frosh, soph, juniors, had the ability to bail on SU, like the coach did, than even they wouldn't have the right to be upset. Since they can't bail as easily, he can understand if they are upset.

I wish they would change that rule when a coach leaves on their own volition. If the coach is fired, that's different. The players losing games contributed to that, so they are partially responsible. But if the coach bails on their own because the players won on the field, then all of the current players he recruited should be given the opportunity to transfer out and play the next year at their new school if they so desire.

Never going to happen, but that is what I think should be allowed.

Off the soapbox.

and

LGO!!!!

Cheers,
Neil

Yep, it's a good soapbox. This is the time of year where we hear the "kids commit to schools not to coaches" line. If that we're the case the coaches wouldn't be recruiters. They get one weekend at SU, and about 1-2 years of a relationship built with a coaching staff. I'm sure it's just the weekend visit and the engineering program they're committing to, not the staff.

Coaches can leave when they want, without sitting out a year, players aren't so lucky.

Message to recruits and players: you pick a school, not a coach.

But they don't. If what you say is true, than we should have faculty out doing the bulk of the recruiting. ;)

Cheers,
Neil

Those players should understand more than anyone. Marrone is taking the opportunity to go to the NFL when it is given to him. Who can blame him?

These players will declare for the draft the minute they think they can make it to the NFL in an early round. They 'bail' when given the chance; and the coaches and most sane fans thank them, wish them well, and move on.

Difference is the players go to college with th expectation that they are building or the future, whether it be pro football or the real world. As the coach there is more of an expectation that they meet their end of the commitment, and I think that I understandable.

Difference is the players go to college with th expectation that they are building or the future, whether it be pro football or the real world. As the coach there is more of an expectation that they meet their end of the commitment, and I think that I understandable.
Of course the players can and should be disappointed. I just think they should also understand that it is the NFL. If he left for another college program, it would be a different situation.

The players have been talking among themselves all year about Marrone maybe leaving. They might be shocked that he actually did it, but it's not a brand new topic for them.

Bees thank you for having the balls to say the truth. I was going to post something yesterday on this but new i would be torched. Doug did not leave Syracuse because of the practice field or because of his pay and anyone on this board who believes he did is completely wrong. He left for himself and he didnt handle it well at all. I wish him all of the luck in the world and i believe he is a coach who is made for the NFL

I don't know if he lied, but he didn't handle this well at all.

I am offended by this situation.

I am done with him.

Goodbye.

My only hope in this whole situation is HCDM gets his a** on a plane to Syracuse and meets with every single player, even the walk-ons. Those guys have worked their a**'s off for him, they deserve to get it face to face.

If he does not, I will view HCDM a lot differently

EDIT: They are on break... so i don't know how he does it. JUST DO IT.

What about the people who name there usernames after him? FML

LOL was going to ask when you were changing this. Love it. Reminds me of when the bernie fine fiasco started and my friend had the BFine123 handle here. Incredible.

He lied to his current players, and incoming recruits. People can spin it any way they want.

As a Bills fan, I have the right to be upset as well. Never particularly thought of HCDM as a particularly good or intelligent coach.

Indeed. And, for me, it's why I've clearly lost some respect for him. What does this say about his inner integrity & character? In the end, it appears he really didn't practice what he preached.

In regards to the 'Dream Job' vs. 'Last Job' argument, well, it's bogus rhetoric & I think he looks a bit foolish when revisiting that speech he made. My interpretation of that speech was that everything he had done in his career, including his NFL experience, was to attain his longtime dream in being the head coach at his alma mater. In retrospect, attaining his self-proclaimed dream pinnacle was nothing more than a stepping stone for him. People can spin it however they wish, but you do not voluntarily leave your dream job, unless of course, it truly wasn't...

Rick where did he flat out lie to current players? I know he had Hackett play semantics with recruits saying it was all rumors that he hadn't talked (yet they meant) to the NFL, but how did he lie beyond this white lie?

Yes, Marrone is pursuing his once in a lifetime opportunity. And you know what? For dozens of players they are smack dab in the middle of THEIR once in a lifetime opportunity. He's bailing on that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom