The people who really have a right to be upset... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The people who really have a right to be upset...

Message to recruits and players: you pick a school, not a coach.

No offense, but this oft-repeated line is the biggest crock of imaginable.

...are the players. If committment is a two-way street, as people like Go suggest re: Marrone and SU, then it is that way between a player and coach as well.

Doug was fully aware of the resource challenges he faced, particularly the past couple years, and he brought a few dozen kids into the program anyway. Unlike fans, who are just along for a ride of their own volition, the players should feel betrayed. Doug bailed on them. He's not the first coach to do it, nor the last, and he may have good reasons for doing so, but make no mistake, he bailed on them.
And maybe if SU had delivered on what it promised, he wouldn't have.

Yes, Marrone is pursuing his once in a lifetime opportunity. And you know what? For dozens of players they are smack dab in the middle of THEIR once in a lifetime opportunity. He's bailing on that.

He sought a once in a lifetime opportunity with how many NFL clubs???

This was not a directed strategy that sought out a particular job - it was buckshot - somebody - anybody take me!!!

And as Don Corleone said "this I will not forgive."

My only hope in this whole situation is HCDM gets his a** on a plane to Syracuse and meets with every single player, even the walk-ons. Those guys have worked their a**'s off for him, they deserve to get it face to face.

If he does not, I will view HCDM a lot differently

EDIT: They are on break... so i don't know how he does it. JUST DO IT.
Who was the coach a week or so ago they left for another job but had the balls to contact each and everyone them to let them know? Now that's a classy coach!

Who was the coach a week or so ago they left for another job but had the balls to contact each and everyone them to let them know? Now that's a classy coach!

Could not agree more..

Respectfully disagree.

So because coach may have had unfulfilled expectations with the school administration, that removes any and all responsibility he has to his players?

Respectfully disagree, indeed.

Yes, Marrone is pursuing his once in a lifetime opportunity. And you know what? For dozens of players they are smack dab in the middle of THEIR once in a lifetime opportunity. He's bailing on that.
My question is this: Since this is when NFL teams talk to college coaches, when could this have happened outside this time line? No matter when it happened, the players would still be caught in the middle. There is simply no way to avoid that. If he lied, that's one thing, but once he committed to talking to a team, in reality he committed talking to whoever had interest in him and would have been fool to do otherwise. You don't turn away future employers. If there was dishonesty involved, I am disappointed in that, for sure.

My question is this: Since this is when NFL teams talk to college coaches, when could this have happened outside this time line? No matter when it happened, the players would still be caught in the middle. There is simply no way to avoid that. If he lied, that's one thing, but once he committed to talking to a team, in reality he committed talking to whoever had interest in him and would have been fool to do otherwise. You don't turn away future employers. If there was dishonesty involved, I am disappointed in that, for sure.

I don't think people are understanding my feelings. I'm fine with him leaving. It's not underhanded or anything like that. It's business. And we're fans, the only personal stake we have in this is what we allow ourselves to have.

No matter what happens, even if a coach is totally transparent and honest, players are going to get hurt. That's the way it goes. In my mind even if Marrone is making a wise decision that he has every right to make, it still doesn't change the fact that the kids he recruited here are the ones that ate going to suffer for it. It's an unavoidable consequence of these things happening, but it's silly to pretend that it's not Marrone's fault.

Others impacted are those assistant coaches who are supporting a family and who no longer have a job. Such I guess is the nomadic life of an assistant coach. The way those guys bounce around is nuts.

I don't think people are understanding my feelings. I'm fine with him leaving. It's not underhanded or anything like that. It's business. And we're fans, the only personal stake we have in this is what we allow ourselves to have.

No matter what happens, even if a coach is totally transparent and honest, players are going to get hurt. That's the way it goes. In my mind even if Marrone is making a wise decision that he has every right to make, it still doesn't change the fact that the kids he recruited here are the ones that ate going to suffer for it. It's an unavoidable consequence of these things happening, but it's silly to pretend that it's not Marrone's fault.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom