The PR game | Syracusefan.com

The PR game

MadNY3

All American
Marrone today: I got back from Coach Boeheim's house on December 31st at 10:30pm got in the shower, and gee whiz, I get out and had 20 missed phone calls. I don't know 20 people!

Sean Payton today: Marrone called me before the Pinstripe Bowl to talk about coaching in the NFL.

For such a straight shooter, Marrone is showing that he spews as much bologna as he eats.

Go get 'em, Shafe.

Sounds like Marrone was acting about as transparently as when Parcells was calling the Jets front office...while coaching the Pats during Super Bowl week.

He's just another ambitious coach.

Sounds like Marrone was acting about as transparently as when Parcells was calling the Jets front office...while coaching the Pats during Super Bowl week.

He's just another ambitious coach.

Scooch, as part of the fan base that disappointed Marrone...I just feel so (sobbing) guilty.

Whatever. We're accustomed to Boeheims, Simmons', Deskos, Pasqualonis...guys that want to be here and never leave. He's a Syracuse guy that started on that path...and then got his eyes on a shinier one. Cie la vie.

Scooch, as part of the fan base that disappointed Marrone...I just feel so (sobbing) guilty.

Whatever. We're accustomed to Boeheims, Simmons', Deskos, Pasqualonis...guys that want to be here and never leave. He's a Syracuse guy that started on that path...and then got his eyes on a shinier one. Cie la vie.

It's all our fault. You, me, EVERYONE!

:)

at least no one will yell at me for making fun of the life skills program. he got a good offer and left, it's really pretty simple.

at least no one will yell at me for making fun of the life skills program. he got a good offer and left, it's really pretty simple.

Correction: he pursued a good offer.

:)

It's funny. I've always had an uneasy feeling about Doug and stemmed from the first time met him.

It was the boeheim turning stone event. I was with others on this board and the conversation was odd.

It just after the great Grob player purge.

Me: nice to meet you coach.

Doug: nice to meet you. I just want you and others to know that I not running players out of this program.

Awkward silence.

Me: um okay. Well good luck.

That was the entire conversation. It was an odd opener from the coach. And as someone who follows recruiting and player movement I knew for a fact he was lying.

Of course he was kicking players off, and it was the right thing to do for the program. But it really did not make a good impression on me.

Kinda makes sense now.

It's funny. I've always had an uneasy feeling about Doug and stemmed from the first time met him.
Wow, that is a funny story. And not entirely "funny ha ha"

It was the boeheim turning stone event. I was with others on this board and the conversation was odd.

Doug: nice to meet you. I just want you and others to know that I not running players out of this program.

Awkward silence.

That was the entire conversation. It was an odd opener from the coach. And as someone who follows recruiting and player movement I knew for a fact he was lying.

Of course he was kicking players off, and it was the right thing to do for the program. But it really did not make a good impression on me.

Kinda makes sense now.

One thing that would have made it better is if he said "Now go tell your internet friends".

Awkward silence.

Kinda makes sense now.

And he continued on to say that his job was to both win and get people back in the Dome and if he didn't di that in 4-5 years he would leave on his own. Guess he was prophetic.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

One thing that would have made it better is if he said "Now go tell your internet friends".
"internet friends". Reminds me of one of the times I met him. In the other previous meetings it was through mutual football connections we have with some coaches we both know, past players, both having played, etc. So to that point that's the way he knew me as a fellow football person in the fraternity so to speak.

Then the article came out on FINE MESS with the connection to the board. And as I was in the pic on the front cooking up some fine Gianelli, I brought it to a luncheon and asked if he'd sign it and as he was looking down signing other stuff he said he said he saw it and made mention he read it. Well he then looked up after signing it and saw it was me the football guy he thought he knew and the look of confusion and revulsion on his face when he realized I was also "internet guy" was down right nuts like he couldn't compute the two could be one and the same.

Saw him one other time and though I wouldn't call it unpleasant it certainly wasn't overly friendly. That's another way he's old school not getting this "modern way" of following sports. Just struck me as funny, still does.

"internet friends". Reminds me of one of the times I met him. In the other previous meetings it was through mutual football connections we have with some coaches we both know, past players, both having played, etc. So that's the way he knew me as a fellow football person in the fraternity so to speak.

Then the article came out on FINE MESS with the connection to the board. And as I was in the pic on the front cooking up some fine Gianelli, I brought it to a luncheon and asked if he'd sign it and as he was looking down signing other stuff he said he said he saw it and made mention he read it. Well he then looked up after signing it and saw it was me the football guy he thought he knew and the look of confusion and revulsion on his face when he realized I was also "internet guy" was down right nuts like he couldn't compute the two could be one and the same.

Saw him one other time and though I wouldn't call it unpleasant it certainly wasn't overly friendly. That's another way he's old school not getting this "modern way" of following sports. Just struck me as funny, still does.
That is just sad. Lots of good supporters in our group, guys who fly in from around the country to see games.

I wonder if Marrone hated "internet people" because he couldn't control them.

first thing he asked my when we met and I asked a question was if i was an "Internet guy" who wanted something to write on a board..

first thing he asked my when we met and I asked a question was if i was an "Internet guy" who wanted something to write on a board..

That's sad. Some coaches learn to use the internet to their advantage.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

"internet friends". Reminds me of one of the times I met him. In the other previous meetings it was through mutual football connections we have with some coaches we both know, past players, both having played, etc. So to that point that's the way he knew me as a fellow football person in the fraternity so to speak.

Obviously if you write anything on the Internet about a football you're crazy and probably unemployed.

It's like we were coached by an 80 year old. In my day...

I wish I had met him so I could have told him I was part of coachpmustgo.com nd see the look on his face. Of course he probably would have thrown me thru the nearest window. I probably could have used that.

He liked me because I always had a pigeon and a mule next to me and had no idea what those fancy interwebs were.

I'm not going to say anything bad about Doug and as much as many of us tease him about that I have a dream speech we too overlooked some flaws and saw what we wanted to see from Doug. SU may have not quite been what he thought and Doug may have not been exactly what we thought but that's the way life goes more often then not.

Hard to believe Doug was unable to distinguish between SyracuseFan.com and that unmoderated madhouse the local rag has morphed into. I hope SS is more sophisticated when it comes to digital communications.

I'd think it is a bit frustrating talking to someone and the next thing you know it's texted and on the net. Personally, I don't want everything I say to be known world wide and yes it is the age we live in but it doesn't mean I have to like it as well.

Me as well. I was at one of his first "meet and greets" held at Onondaga CC and tried to ask him a question after the event. He asked me first before responding if I was a "blogger."

Same thing here. I talked to Marrone at one of those "Heroes and Legends" events at Drumlins. I asked him a very innocent question about a recent rumor that SU had scheduled a 3 game with BYU.

He told me that he'd have no reason to play in Utah because we don't recruit out there.

Then he asked me if I was one of those "bloggers".

That's what I get for showing up at all the Spring Practices and Luncheons. Notoriety.

After all, some of us are on his side. We don't all work for TMZ or the National Enquirer. :p

Great stories.

Despite all of that and his flaws (even on gamedays), I'm a huge Marrone fan and love what he did for the SU football program.

And I also love what he's going to do for my Buffalo Bills...

copy-2-of-copy-of-sbroundhousesuperbowlring.jpg

I really hope Shafer has thicker skin. I'm pretty sure the internet is going to be around for a while longer.