The Press.... | Syracusefan.com

The Press....

newmexicuse

All Conference
We have seen the press turn around a big deficit against Virgina and now against NC State. Two huge turnarounds in our last 25 or so games. Interestingly enough, both turnarounds came against teams with absolutely outstanding guards.

Obviously, this means that we do have a press that has the potential to be effective. Using the press does have a couple of disadvantages:

1. For a team with little depth it does take a lot more energy than just dropping into the Zone.

2. There is risk of the press being broken with over the top passes that can lead to easy layups.

However, all of that being said, I do not understand why we wait until the situation is totally desperate before unleashing our press. What's wrong with just using it to change tempo for a few minutes here and there in close games or games where we are ahead but where the big mo is changing (FSU game would be perfect example) ?

JB used the press quite a bit in non-conference. It was not effective, even with Pascal to protect the rim.

JB used the press quite a bit in non-conference. It was not effective, even with Pascal to protect the rim.
That is the nature of a press, sometimes it will be effective and sometimes not. However, it will always change the tempo, and sometimes break the opponents concentration in terms of focusing against the Zone. It will also have the benefit of an energy injection into our guys.

That is why said in my OP to only use it for a few minutes here and there.

Also, i am far from sure about Pascal being a better rim protector than is Lydon who broke up a couple of the long over the top passes.

For me the press was used appropriately last night. I was actually calling for it a bit sooner. That's why I'm on the couch and not on the bench.

I think if we use it too often or too early the opposition will have time to discuss strategy. Of course, they should have that all worked out in practice. We also don't have enough guys to do it for long stretches Sure turned out to be the right time last night.

Furthermore, it gets our guys pumped up a bit which helps us at the offensive end.

just because a team doesnt score doesnt mean our press is any good. we tend to get in some good spots and then 1 player doesnt do what they should and teams break out..

For me the press was used appropriately last night. I was actually calling for it a bit sooner. That's why I'm on the couch and not on the bench.

I think if we use it too often or too early the opposition will have time to discuss strategy. Of course, they should have that all worked out in practice. We also don't have enough guys to do it for long stretches Sure turned out to be the right time last night.

Furthermore, it gets our guys pumped up a bit which helps us at the offensive end.

You and TT both!

We have seen the press turn around a big deficit against Virgina and now against NC State. Two huge turnarounds in our last 25 or so games. Interestingly enough, both turnarounds came against teams with absolutely outstanding guards.

Obviously, this means that we do have a press that has the potential to be effective. Using the press does have a couple of disadvantages:

1. For a team with little depth it does take a lot more energy than just dropping into the Zone.

2. There is risk of the press being broken with over the top passes that can lead to easy layups.

However, all of that being said, I do not understand why we wait until the situation is totally desperate before unleashing our press. What's wrong with just using it to change tempo for a few minutes here and there in close games or games where we are ahead but where the big mo is changing (FSU game would be perfect example) ?
If we had more players it would be great and I would agree. however, we don't. besides getting winded, we run the risk of foul trouble. JB uses it in dire situations because it is a dire situation. And the fouls really don't matter as much because we are probably going to lose anyway.

Your avatar was the best ever at pressuring the inbounder on the press.
Leo Rautins could tip or pick off the inbound pass on the baseline and lay it in.
Led a great comeback against G-town...with a triple double

Ha, when I clicked this thread I thought it was another ham-handed attack on syracuse.com.

But seriously...not sure JB has anywhere near the confidence in this year's press as last year's. For one thing, G and Coon were terrific defensive guards in that framework. Gillon is a super quick pest and Tyus will get there, but not the same.

Um, the press had no affect last night. We only had it on for two possessions.

We fouled one possession and then they fouled us on the other.

Completely overblown story from last night.

Maybe you should call into JB's show tonight and ask him what the heck he was talking about? According to his presser last night, "it was the reason we won the game." Then again, he couldn't remember that the guy sitting 'three doors down' on the bench also had tallied 43 for SU. ;):)

Last edited:
Um, the press had no affect last night. We only had it on for two possessions.

We fouled one possession and then they fouled us on the other.

Completely overblown story from last night.

And yet their offense was nowhere near as smooth after. Amazing how much two possessions can change a game.

Didn't Gottfried have their star point guard Smith on the bench at this time? I thought that had far more to do with our comeback than the brief press. He went out up 16 and came back in after a minute or two. Wh had hit 3 three pointers in that time. Mo was on our side as their weak psychie made them tentative as we continued to climb back into the game. I wondered when they took Smith out for a rest what would happen and it was all good for SU. Imagine or remember how we operate when Howard comes in for Gillon. How smooth are we then?

JB, on his show tonight, called the press "lucky", saying we got one turnover because the guy simply fell down.

Didn't Gottfried have their star point guard Smith on the bench at this time? I thought that had far more to do with our comeback than the brief press. He went out up 16 and came back in after a minute or two. Wh had hit 3 three pointers in that time. Mo was on our side as their weak psychie made them tentative as we continued to climb back into the game. I wondered when they took Smith out for a rest what would happen and it was all good for SU. Imagine or remember how we operate when Howard comes in for Gillon. How smooth are we then?

Though I agree that Smith's short stint on the bench helped, the press really changed the game.

We were down 10 when we started pressing. Thompson fouled as we started the press, but then we drew the fourth foul on Henderson. Don't forget the fact that Henderson scored 16 against us, so that's an important foul. We hit a three on that possession. Down 7. We pressed again and, eventually, forced a turnover in the half court. We hit another three on the subsequent possession. Down 4. That's a significant deficit reduction with under six to play, and we now had the momentum.

Not every "press" possession has to end in a turnover in the backcourt to be successful. Pressing changes the game flow and puts stress on the opposing team. The stress isn't just physical. It's mental. Your point about fragile psyche actually helps support that the press put them in panic mode.

That said, the real key to victory was the poor defensive strategy by NC St. all game. Thankfully, Gillon and White exploited it, letting our porous defense off the hook after it allowed us to fall behind 16.

somewhere along the line we abandoned the press we used to run with a big protecting the rim to a "house is on fire" press where there seems to be nobody protecting the rim at all and everyone is just going nutz trying to prevent the ball from getting over half court.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom