The "real" reaction in Maryalnd to the Terps to the B1G | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The "real" reaction in Maryalnd to the Terps to the B1G

I don't think the entire realignment process is short sighted. I think for some schools it's a great move if you're staying within your alumni and geographic footprint.

True, but I don't see anyone as any sort of visionary. The pac 12, I guess. Everyone else is scrambling.

Maryland is in for a world of hurt. Hearing of kids that committed for various sports wanting out. They signed up for the ACC, not the snowbelt / rustbelt / prairies.

He gets right to the heart of it.

I have to think that other people in the ACC know who this guy is. I think this kind of opinion is widespread, regardless of what internet boards will tell you. Nobody at Florida State or Clemson really wants to play in the Big 12. And the money is not that much better. If they could get into the SEC, then hell yes, they're gone yesterday. The Big 12 is just a stalking horse to try to get the SEC to grab them.

Trouble is, look at Missouri. They really, really, really wanted to go to the Big 10, where they would have fit in well. The flirted with the SEC and got a bit little pregnant. But in the SEC, they just went from being a 10 win team to being a 6 win team. They lost the Border War. Do the fans really win?

sounds like a bunch of belly aching.

The only way the Big 10 makes sense for Maryland is if the Big 10 could pull Pitt, Syracuse and BC back from the ACC, to create that old Eastern football league (minus WVU) with Penn State, Rutgers, Maryland and then maybe Notre Dame. Otherwise, Maryland will always be on an island in the Big 10. I can't imagine what Georgia Tech is thinking, if they are actually considering this right now. They would be an even worse disaster. Hell, I'd love to keep playing the Hillbillies, too. We've had some of our most spirited games against them. But the B1G would never have them.

Did you see that the Wisconsin coach left for Arkansas because of facilities? Seems the money in the B1G was enough. Wisconsin has had a winning program. Maryland and Rutger will be in trouble. Recruiting will be an issue for those schools.

Did you see that the Wisconsin coach left for Arkansas because of facilities? Seems the money in the B1G was enough. Wisconsin has had a winning program. Maryland and Rutger will be in trouble. Recruiting will be an issue for those schools.

I'd venture a guess that Wisconsin spent more money on academics instead of their sporting facilities and that Arkansas ain't much for that book learnin stuff so that's where the money goes. I don't think ru or maryland will be in trouble recruiting wise, ru's will get a lot better and Maryland's will just change from kids that want to play on the coast to ones that are more attracted to the Big 10.

I'd venture a guess that Wisconsin spent more money on academics instead of their sporting facilities and that Arkansas ain't much for that book learnin stuff so that's where the money goes. I don't think ru or maryland will be in trouble recruiting wise, ru's will get a lot better and Maryland's will just change from kids that want to play on the coast to ones that are more attracted to the Big 10.
Bob ... ahhhh.

I was on the Arkansas campus two falls ago for several days around the Florida game. Of course, the athletic facilities are absolutely great. But the rest of the campus is too. They have spent a lot of money on the whole deal. And the town itself is also very nice including the main street that runs into campus that has the bars and restaurants.

Where are these kids that Maryland will now recruit who want to play in the Big10 and not the ACC?

They aren't in Maryland or DC or Virginia, I can tell you that. Stanford, Notre Dame and Penn State have always done well in the area. The rest of the Big Ten have not. The only reason Maryland did this was because they were broke and couldn't figure out a way to keep from going even more broke.

This is an ACC area. That's what people have cared about for 50 years. This switch could easily result in Maryland having even more trouble recruiting. The ONLY reason they went to the B1G was they were broke.

Rutgers built its program on Florida players and a few New Yorkers and a vision of National Championships. Who is going to want to go there to be steamrolled by Michigan and Ohio State and Wisconsin on a yearly basis. The Big Ten wanted RU for the number of cable subscribers in NJ ... nothing else.

Bob ... ahhhh.

Who is going to want to go there to be steamrolled by Michigan and Ohio State and Wisconsin on a yearly basis.

They will be competing with the Ill,Ind,Minn. types.IMO, that is their ceiling in the B1G.Can't see their recruiting going all that well after 4-5 years of that.Should work out well for us if the ACC holds, which I think it will.

Bob ... ahhhh.

I was on the Arkansas campus two falls ago for several days around the Florida game. Of course, the athletic facilities are absolutely great. But the rest of the campus is too. They have spent a lot of money on the whole deal. And the town itself is also very nice including the main street that runs into campus that has the bars and restaurants.

Where are these kids that Maryland will now recruit who want to play in the Big10 and not the ACC?

They aren't in Maryland or DC or Virginia, I can tell you that. Stanford, Notre Dame and Penn State have always done well in the area. The rest of the Big Ten have not. The only reason Maryland did this was because they were broke and couldn't figure out a way to keep from going even more broke.

This is an ACC area. That's what people have cared about for 50 years. This switch could easily result in Maryland having even more trouble recruiting. The ONLY reason they went to the B1G was they were broke.

Rutgers built its program on Florida players and a few New Yorkers and a vision of National Championships. Who is going to want to go there to be steamrolled by Michigan and Ohio State and Wisconsin on a yearly basis. The Big Ten wanted RU for the number of cable subscribers in NJ ... nothing else.

Good to hear that about Arkansas but I'd still have to think Wisky has them academically.

I think rutty will attract the same amount of jersey kids, more PA kids and still be able to reach into Florida and possibly hurt SU in new york, especially western ny. I realize that the Big 10 got both for cable along with having bottom feeders for osu and michigan but you ask a kid if he wants to play in the Big 10 or ACC and you might be surprised at their answer. Travel may be an issue for the parent(s) but it will depend on what those kids want. I know that rutty is a glorified commuter school and I'm sure you know more about maryland then I do but I wouldn't say they are going to bomb out in recruiting until we see how they are doing next year, it's too late to really get a read on it now. Marylands area of recruiting or landscape has just changed and since they have Lockesly I wouldn't count them out recruiting wise either.

I'm not saying either is going to be a juggernaut in the Big 10 but both will benefit from this move and rutty more than maryland imo.

Good to hear that about Arkansas but I'd still have to think Wisky has them academically.

I think rutty will attract the same amount of jersey kids, more PA kids and still be able to reach into Florida and possibly hurt SU in new york, especially western ny. I realize that the Big 10 got both for cable along with having bottom feeders for osu and michigan but you ask a kid if he wants to play in the Big 10 or ACC and you might be surprised at their answer. Travel may be an issue for the parent(s) but it will depend on what those kids want. I know that rutty is a glorified commuter school and I'm sure you know more about maryland then I do but I wouldn't say they are going to bomb out in recruiting until we see how they are doing next year, it's too late to really get a read on it now. Marylands area of recruiting or landscape has just changed and since they have Lockesly I wouldn't count them out recruiting wise either.

I'm not saying either is going to be a juggernaut in the Big 10 but both will benefit from this move and rutty more than maryland imo.

Wisconsin seems to be a much better school academically. I know it has a reputation as a hothouse of Liberalism ... which means to me they produce a lot of Art History, English and Sociology Majors.

But Arkansas has some good departments also. Including a huge, sparkling new"College of Chicken Science" that stares out at the football stadium. "Chicken Science" isn't the real name ... but its something to that effect. (I was taken aback when I saw the thing, but it is a big industry and food is an important thing.)

There's a Northern bias on this education stuff. When I moved from NJ and NY to Texas, my expectation was that the South by and large was populated by the victims of substandard education.

After living in Texas a while I found that the doctors, dentists, lawyers, accountants, engineers, architects and business owners were just as smart as those I had known in Princeton, NJ or Syracuse or Rochester. These Texans had gone to UT or SMU or Rice and not Cornell or Harvard or even SU. But they were smart as Hell and many times a lot less full of themselves.

Wisconsin seems to be a much better school academically. I know it has a reputation as a hothouse of Liberalism ... which means to me they produce a lot of Art History, English and Sociology Majors.

But Arkansas has some good departments also. Including a huge, sparkling new"College of Chicken Science" that stares out at the football stadium. "Chicken Science" isn't the real name ... but its something to that effect. (I was taken aback when I saw the thing, but it is a big industry and food is an important thing.)

There's a Northern bias on this education stuff. When I moved from NJ and NY to Texas, my expectation was that the South by and large was populated by the victims of substandard education.

After living in Texas a while I found that the doctors, dentists, lawyers, accountants, engineers, architects and business owners were just as smart as those I had known in Princeton, NJ or Syracuse or Rochester. These Texans had gone to UT or SMU or Rice and not Cornell or Harvard or even SU. But they were smart as Hell and many times a lot less full of themselves.

I agree with you and when I say a lot of that stuff it's tongue and cheek as there are many excellent schools throughout the nation and depending on the chosen field/study you can find quality in any direction country wise.

Someone might want to tell this "huge fan" that Maryland won its National Championship in 2002 and not 2001.

It may be a typo but it is a typo that you just cannot make and, if you do, you have to catch it and fix it.

Can you imagine the beat down someone on this board would get for posting about our NC in 2004 or 1960.

And that would be for a post, not a newspaper article.

Inexcusable.

I'd like to add that rutty and mary going to the big 10 may help open up jersey, dc, maryland and virginia to SU as well. It depends on what the student athlete wants.

Someone might want to tell this "huge fan" that Maryland won its National Championship in 2002 and not 2001.

It may be a typo but it is a typo that you just cannot make and, if you do, you have to catch it and fix it.

Can you imagine the beat down someone on this board would get for posting about our NC in 2004 or 1960.

And that would be for a post, not a newspaper article.

Inexcusable.

I couldn't even begin to imagine that. I can imagine, however, if only Smart hadn't hit that jumper in the waning moments in '86, we'd have another nc. ;)