The real reason Louisville is now in ACC | Syracusefan.com

The real reason Louisville is now in ACC

It has always been mind-boggling to me that we are tops in the Nation annually with Kentucky every season attendance wise, do not travel unreasonable distances, control our venue with alchohol sales, have a top flight coach on the cheap and yet we are so far down these lists every year.

It has always been mind-boggling to me that we are tops in the Nation annually with Kentucky every season attendance wise, do not travel unreasonable distances, control our venue with alchohol sales, have a top flight coach on the cheap and yet we are so far down these lists every year.
operation and maintenance costs on a 30 year old dome that is never filled to capacity take their toll

this has to do with worth, not income.

"The Cardinals, who began playing in the 22,000-seat arena in the fall of 2010, reported $40.9 million in revenue in the last fiscal year, according to government data—nearly $12 million more than any other team."

Professors with nothing better to do...I think these values are way off. If the programs were really for sale there is no way Minnesota would sell for more than UK. UNC, Duke, Kentucky, and Kansas would be the most sought after programs if they were really for sale.

operation and maintenance costs on a 30 year old dome that is never filled to capacity take their toll

You're serious?

What expense is there in maintaining concrete?

I can see where energy costs might have gone up and salaries ... but how much is that?

I read somewhere (can't locate the article) that the reason UL reported that huge profit was that those who wanted to buy season tickets to the new Yum Center had to give a very sizable donation (somewhat like a seat license in the NFL) to obtain the right to buy tickets. That revenue is just pure profit with no cost involved. It remains to be seen if this is an on-going requirement every year or was just a one time windfall. We'll see. You have to still give kudos to their fan base for ponying up. I doubt the SUAD could get away with the same thing. Ticket sales would probably plummet. Maybe they have more well-heeled fans. Louisville has a big business community and a number of large Fortune 500 companies with an affluent managerial class so that helps too.

I read somewhere (can't locate the article) that the reason UL reported that huge profit was that those who wanted to buy season tickets to the new Yum Center had to give a very sizable donation (somewhat like a seat license in the NFL) to obtain the right to buy tickets. That revenue is just pure profit with no cost involved. It remains to be seen if this is an on-going requirement every year or was just a one time windfall. We'll see. You have to still give kudos to their fan base for ponying up. I doubt the SUAD could get away with the same thing. Ticket sales would probably plummet. Maybe they have more well-heeled fans. Louisville has a big business community and a number of large Fortune 500 companies with an affluent managerial class so that helps too.

Don't we have the equivalent of PSLs for any half decent seat?

Don't we have the equivalent of PSLs for any half decent seat?
Yes, it's called Preferred Seating.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the 200 level seats at the Dome be converted to some sort of suites. I'm sure TGD has looked at how to generate more revenue from hoops games.

I suspect that the Yum has plenty of high-revenue suites.

"The Cardinals, who began playing in the 22,000-seat arena in the fall of 2010, reported $40.9 million in revenue in the last fiscal year, according to government data—nearly $12 million more than any other team."

Revenue is not income is not worth. I'm not sure where we're going with this...

Revenue is not income is not worth. I'm not sure where we're going with this...
I don't know what I meant at the time. I think I posted the wrong quote. It certainly doesn't make sense in context.

L'ville income padded with revenue from illegal corn liquor sales ( moonshine):cool:

It's 13th in the country using that methodology, what's wrong with that?

Lastest Dept. of Ed. reporting Syracuse was #2 in Mens basketball revenue. Louisville 1, Duke 3, UNC 4, UK 5.

Relax SU's doing fine.

This is the answer. This article makes Louisville out to be super rich, when in reality this ranking is only because they have a super new facility and are now in super debt to the tune of $339 million in bonds.

The Yum! center alone cost $238 million and the University is only allowed to collect half the potential income.

So is it "If you build it they will come" or "If you come they will build it".

Or: "If you build it the contractors will come?"

I live in Louisville and I can tell you that they're so profitable because of the shadiest lease agreement in the history of sports. They're basically fleecing local taxpayers and getting a pass from the media.

I live in Louisville and I can tell you that they're so profitable because of the shadiest lease agreement in the history of sports. They're basically fleecing local taxpayers and getting a pass from the media.

Let's hear the dirt!

Like most things, the truth is somewhere in-between.

From a Kentucky writer we have this

http://insiderlouisville.com/news/2...e-controversy-is-the-white-elephant-downtown/

And from a Louisville paper we have this

http://www.courier-journal.com/arti...profit-exceed-budget-expectation-manager-says

But in either case, Louisville was reporting profits like 11-12 back when they were playing Freedom Hall. The amount went up some when they moved to the Yum, but not astronomically in terms of basketball.

Cheers,
Neil