The real reason we won... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The real reason we won...

I can't remember seeing the Twin Towers lineup (PC and Sidibe together) at any point this year. Not sure how well Bourama would fare in the forward spot on D.

I think he would be fine at the 4 on both sides of the ball, if his knee were healthy. He's got the quickness and agility to close out. He also has the ability to put the ball on the floor for one to two dribbles and not look inept. Good hands. Id rather him have the ball 15 feet and in from the hoop than JB if you told me to pick one.

How many SU centers have averaged a double double?

Theoretically you're right, but how many SU centers have been over 7 feet tall and have gotten as much playing time? A 7 footer averaging his minutes should be able to get 10+ rebounds every night. He's certainly serviceable and he's improved. IMO he's a solid defensive presence when the other team isn't physical. He doesn't run the floor particularly well. He doesn't catch the ball well, and I've never seen anyone miss dunks like him. He's trying, I'll give you that. He's a nice guy. He's improved his FT shooting too. But he's a mediocre starting center at best.

Theoretically you're right, but how many SU centers have been over 7 feet tall and have gotten as much playing time? A 7 footer averaging his minutes should be able to get 10+ rebounds every night.
Why should that be? Rebounding is certainly about more than simply height. He's averaging 6.6 rebounds per game in 27.7 minutes, or about one rebound per four minutes. That's not exceptional, but it's not bad. It's about the same rate we're seeing from Brissett, an athletic and instinctive rebounder. Moyer and Dolezaj are solid rebounders as well, so it's not like Chukwu is the only rebounder out there when he's on the floor. I think he's doing fine on the glass now and still can improve, but his greatest value to this team is his ability to block and alter shots at the back of the zone.

Last edited:
Why should that be? Rebounding is certainly about more than simply height. He's averaging 6.6 rebounds per game in 27.7 minutes, or about one rebound per four minutes. That's not exceptional, but it's not bad. It's about the same rate we're seeing from Brissett, an athletic and instinctive rebounder. Moyer and Dolezaj are solid rebounders as well, so it's not like Chukwu is the only rebounder out there when he's on the floor. I think he's doing fine on the glass now and still can improve, but his greatest value to this team is his ability to block and alter shots at the back of the zone.

You're right rebounding is about more than height. It is also about positioning, effort and athleticism/strength.

So if you've got a guy greater than 7 feet tall whose playing big minutes and he's not getting 10+ rebounds a night, he's either not positioning himself well, not trying or lacking athleticism/strength.

But hey, Chukwu is all we have unless Sidibe can stay healthy so I get not wanting to be too hard on the guy. I think he gives us his best.

I don't think he'd be our starting center if we had more options. Had Lydon come back, he would've played out of position at center again because Chukwu is just not very good.

Heck I'd take Seikaly, Etan, Rick, Arinze, Otis, Conrad, BMK, Lydon, etc... all ahead of Chukwu.

You're right rebounding is about more than height. It is also about positioning, effort and athleticism/strength.

So if you've got a guy greater than 7 feet tall whose playing big minutes and he's not getting 10+ rebounds a night, he's either not positioning himself well, not trying or lacking athleticism/strength.

But hey, Chukwu is all we have unless Sidibe can stay healthy so I get not wanting to be too hard on the guy. I think he gives us his best.

I don't think he'd be our starting center if we had more options. Had Lydon come back, he would've played out of position at center again because Chukwu is just not very good.

Heck I'd take Seikaly, Etan, Rick, Arinze, Otis, Conrad, BMK, Lydon, etc... all ahead of Chukwu.
I would take those guys ahead of Chukwu, too. They were all better than him. But he's the best we have this season and he's not awful, and has actually played very well at times.

I'm still not sure where your 10+ rebounds a game expectations come from either. That just doesn't happen with our centers, or many college centers in the modern game for that matter. Without going into the record books, I think the last SU center to average that many was Derrick Coleman (in the years he played a lot of center) and before that Bill Smith, who was a rebounding machine. I'll let SWC75 or one of the other historians here correct me if I've missed someone.

Edit: Rick Jackson as a senior averaged 10.3 rpg

Last edited:
I would take those guys ahead of Chukwu, too. They were all better than him. But he's the best we have this season and he's not awful, and has actually played very well at times.

I'm still not sure where your 10+ rebounds a game expectations come from either. That just doesn't happen with our centers, or many college centers in the modern game for that matter. Without going into the record books, I think the last SU center to average that many was Derrick Coleman (in the years he played a lot of center) and before that Bill Smith, who was a rebounding machine. I'll let SWC75 or one of the other historians here correct me if I've missed someone.

I agree with a lot of what you've written. I posed 10+ rebounds a game rather arbitrarily... my thought is that he is not a very good rebounder for a guy his size. But, like you said, he's not awful and he's what we've got. That said, he's also not very good either, and I SO wish we could land another really good big guy because I think we can do better than Chukwu, and the window of opportunity for JB to win another Championship is narrowing.

I agree with a lot of what you've written. I posed 10+ rebounds a game rather arbitrarily... my thought is that he is not a very good rebounder for a guy his size. But, like you said, he's not awful and he's what we've got. That said, he's also not very good either, and I SO wish we could land another really good big guy because I think we can do better than Chukwu, and the window of opportunity for JB to win another Championship is narrowing.
We already have that center you want and he's only a freshman.

there are reason some guys are better rebounders.. some of it is positioning and strength, some of it technique. some of it is the D. Chukwu is asked to attack a wide open middle a ton, and then cover the wings as well. he is not just standing around the basket on D like some bigs.. if he was stronger he wouldnt lose so many, but that is what it is. he gets a fair share on offense , if he would just finish better those numbers would look much better and that may come as well as he plays more and more.

We already have that center you want and he's only a freshman.

I hope Sidibe can stay healthy. But I also think we need some depth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom