The reality of New York's College Team... | Syracusefan.com

The reality of New York's College Team...

QManCuse

Walk On
That question has been bandied about in the media recently, with St. John's staking their claim. I think a lot of that rhetoric (and please excuse me all of our great NYC fans) is that people from the city always seem to forget that there is such a thing as New York State. We are truly New York State's team. To imply that St. John's dominates the State of New York is pure folly. Who represents NYC? 50/50 would be my guess, but again, our advertising never states we are NYC's team.

That question has been bandied about in the media recently, with St. John's staking their claim. I think a lot of that rhetoric (and please excuse me all of our great NYC fans) is that people from the city always seem to forget that there is such a thing as New York State. We are truly New York State's team. To imply that St. John's dominates the State of New York is pure folly. Who represents NYC? 50/50 would be my guess, but again, our advertising never states we are NYC's team.

SU is the official team of both NYS and NYC.

In NYC, "Upstate" means Westchester or Rockland counties.
Anything further north may as well be another country...let alone part of the state.

Every so often I see a billboard on a NYC bus or taxi with the Syracuse: NY's college team slogan.
Clever slogan...dumb campaign.
If the university really wanted to have an impact in the city it would have to spend a lot of time and money getting people and games here and working the media.
Otherwise, there's little footprint beyond alumni unless the Orange make some national news.

Anything further north may as well be another country...let alone part of the state.

Every so often I see a billboard on a NYC bus or taxi with the Syracuse: NY's college team slogan.
If the university really wanted to have an impact in the city it would have to spend a lot of time and money getting people and games here and working the media.
Otherwise, there's little footprint beyond alumni unless the Orange make some national news.
I didn't know upstate existed until college. I remember as a teenager, when asked where he was going. he said upstate, north white plains

Am I the only one that irritates? I have peers that view the world the same way. It always makes me smile when we dominates sales in the face of their big city. Id like to choke em out sometimes

That dumb idea was a key component of getting SU into the ACC. After the game yesterday all the restaurants and bars from 34th street to Times Square were packed with Syracuse fans decked out in their Cuse gear. The Metro North train I came to the city in that morning was packed with SU alumns in their SU shits/hats/jackets. The crowd waiting to get into MSG was 2-1 SU and the vast majority were alumns and locals from the 5 boroughs and the surrounding burbs. The area knows to expect it. SU gets lots of media coverage in NYC (well basketball anyways). Recap of the game was on all night on NYC TV stations as well as SNY and WFAN, morning papers. More than any other team. More than STJ or Rutgers. This happens every time SU plays at MSG.

[quote=". This happens every time SU plays at MSG.[/quote]
Right.
But almost no other time.
Unfortunately, the Orange get very little local NYC coverage otherwise.
And why should they?
They're not a local NYC team.
Unlike SJU & Rutgers which do get regular coverage.

There's no way to know for sure, of course, but I'd bet that the number of SU fans at the Garden without any attachment to the university is miniscule.
The bulk are alumni and family.

The ACC isn't exactly making huge inroads into the NYC- TV market by adding Syracuse.
The Big 10 (or 12 or whatever it is) is doing better in that regard by adding Rutgers.

[quote=". This happens every time SU plays at MSG.
Right.
But almost no other time.
Unfortunately, the Orange get very little local NYC coverage otherwise.
And why should they?
They're not a local NYC team.
Unlike SJU & Rutgers which do get regular coverage.

There's no way to know for sure, of course, but I'd bet that the number of SU fans at the Garden without any attachment to the university is miniscule.
The bulk are alumni and family.

The ACC isn't exactly making huge inroads into the NYC- TV market by adding Syracuse.
The Big 10 (or 12 or whatever it is) is doing better in that regard by adding Rutgers.[/quote]
The B1G at best is adding some exposure in central NJ. Rutgers gets hardly any athletic coverage in the NYC market unless they're having a national scandal. Having lived and worked there for the last 30 years I can tell you that SU basketball gets way more NYC media coverage and not just when they play MSG. Basketball highlights on game nights appear on SNY (even this year), WNBC-TV nightly sports, MSG, WCBS radio, and WFAN radio. The NY Post and Times usually have a story about the game and they cover major recruiting news which they never do for Rutgers (maybe because they don't get top recruits?) and even UConn. I'm not saying SU dominates NYC by any means...we don't. No college does. But we get a lot more coverage in NYC than most of the locals.

Maybe these NYC idiots could actually attend the game and realize there were more orange backers in the arena than SJ's backers. That could be clue even these jaded morons could see. But then again they have their story line written before the game and don't care about the truth of the matter. Some call it marketing, others call it spin. Honest people call it lying through your smoke stained teeth.

There now. I feel much better.

Am I the only one that irritates? I have peers that view the world the same way. It always makes me smile when we dominates sales in the face of their big city. Id like to choke em out sometimes
Nope. I always specify where in New York I'm from when I meet someone new, especially now that I live in the South. Extremely proud of where I grew up.

SU is the official team of both NYS and NYC.

This - Cuse is NYC's team, at least at this moment. And you'd be surprised at how many NYC fans there are since the Pearl/Colemen/Douglas/Owens era (me being an example of that). The only other team that gets any real run in NYC is St John's, and since they've been nationally irrelevant for years they have been a non-factor. There has never been overall passion for Seton Hall, and Rutgers is just a non-factor. UConn isn't even in the discussion.

Part of this always goes into the fact that the NYC area is not big on college sports. Just so happens that if you want to follow college sports in that area, chances are you will get drawn to Syracuse just as much, if not more than the more "local" teams given the brand, success, and some local ties.

Last edited: