The reason we have 5 losses | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The reason we have 5 losses

We have 5 losses because: @NCST, @LSU, @FSU, @Miami

MTSU the former HC got in the kids heads

That's why.

Five losses by an average of one score. 35 total points.

Outside of yesterday, the run game had shown some serious improvement last few games.

As others have said. We are knocking on the door. Just need to figure out how to win consistently.

Win out and you are 7-5 heading to bowl. Something I think we will do.

We need to stop gift wrapping points to the opponent in the first 10 minutes of games. Playing Miami and FSU from behind all game killed us. Two games we should have won. We beat ourselves all season.

We need to stop gift wrapping points to the opponent in the first 10 minutes of games. Playing Miami and FSU from behind all game killed us. Two games we should have won. We beat ourselves all season.
Absolutely right

We have zero run game. Cut it up anyway you want. Breakdown 1000 different stats. None of it matters when you can't gain 3.5 per carry. This offense is made to score 40 points a game and if not for the legs of ED we wouldn't be averaging over 14 per game. From a die hard orange fan, the pay Dino campaign isn't valid until we can run the ball. Our running game is the worst in college football. It's the only difference between 9 wins and 4 wins right now.

Agree, and out oline isnt that bad. Plenty of young talent. Servais is a future pro. I am all in on DINO, but yes, not sure what this offense looks like without ED, with TD in the pocket and only the pocket slinging it.

we give up the big play way too often. that and dumb penalties kill us.

We've also gone up against about 5 of the top 10 preseason D-lines.

That's not the entire gap in our performance vs. where it should be, but the competition accounts for a lot of it.

GREAT point, our young oline has played great against these big D fronts. I love our young talent and think a few including Servais really have a future;)

i wouldnt say dominant as we are below most teams on talent, our schemes help some but the reason we can't run is we are facing a talent gap along the line
that's why i'm optimistic - when we get a real running back, we're looking at something special. we know this rushing offense works, there's plenty of evidence everywhere it's run. we just are unusually bad at running back right now
our oline pass blocks well but run blocking is border line ugly. Show me one guy that gets consistent push in run game. I'm asking for 1 guy who generally wins one on one. Adams is 338lbs. Shouldn't he be flat backing people. We are young and I get that but jeez um.

Ill take D. We play in the toughest division in the league and are overachieving despite great transition!

Last year we averaged 119 yards/game rushing. Yes, dreadful. This year we'are at 158 Y/G and in 2015 we were at 163 Y/G rushing. We're back to being mediocre at rushing. We aren't the worst in college football at rushing and in fact we're better at it this season than 3 other ACC teams. I wouldn't excuse ED rushing as if it doesn't count because for many other teams on CFB QB runs is a key component of the offense. Clemson is the first to come to mind. Would I love to see him rushing less? Absolutely.

WF and BC both allow over 200 Y/G rushing. I'd like to see how we do against teams that aren't as effective against the run.

Our run scheme is definitely not where it needs to be. We rely too much on Dungey and we dont have any run plays where we can almost garauntee 3 or 4 yards. If we don't have Dungey in the game our run game might be that much worse. The reason why Strick and Moe has the yards they have is because of the threat of Dungey running. You take away him and our average yard per carry drops significantly at the RB position.
I think Moe might be the better option now as he has more speed. Maybe they can play the two together at times as Elmore doesn't appear to be any kind of threat back there.

2007: 375 attempts for 753 yards and 5 TDs. 2.0 ypc, 62.3 Ypg

2017: 333 attempts for 1286 yards and 12 TDs. 3.9 ypc, 160.8 ypg

Not even close. Let’s never bring up the GRob era in any kinds of comparisons ever again. Nothing will ever be close to that bad again.

Strickland - 109 for 403 - 3.7 ypc.
Neal - 42 for 196 - 4.7 ypc

Brinkley: 111 for 371 - 3.3 ypc.
Hogue: 77 for 251 - 3.3 ypc
Isn't this amazing? Brinkley and Hogue both became NFL players (one as a LB, but still). And we were that bad.

Isn't this amazing? Brinkley and Hogue both became NFL players (one as a LB, but still). And we were that bad.

Plus Tony Fiammetta was the fullback that year and he was a 4th round pick I think, and played in the NFL for awhile. And Mike Williams at WR. Taj Smith might’ve gotten an NFL look too. There’s no way the offense should’ve been that bad. It was the worst I’ve ever seen at Cuse and it’s not close.

Last year we had one of the worst defenses I’ve ever seen here. This year we are much better.
I expect the same year-to-year improvement w/ the running game next season. We have several kids coming in and a senior ED, junior DS and MN. The OL will also be more experienced. This is the point in the rebuild where more patience is needed than ever before. We’re close...real close.

Agree, and out oline isnt that bad. Plenty of young talent. Servais is a future pro. I am all in on DINO, but yes, not sure what this offense looks like without ED, with TD in the pocket and only the pocket slinging it.
Servais snaps At Dungey's angles or in the turf a few tines a game. Can't keep doing that and be a center.

We have zero run game. Cut it up anyway you want. Breakdown 1000 different stats. None of it matters when you can't gain 3.5 per carry. This offense is made to score 40 points a game and if not for the legs of ED we wouldn't be averaging over 14 per game. From a die hard orange fan, the pay Dino campaign isn't valid until we can run the ball. Our running game is the worst in college football. It's the only difference between 9 wins and 4 wins right now.

The reason they have fives losses isn't because of the run game. Even with a lack of a rushing attack, SU has moved the ball at will when the offense clicked. Key moments which led to the team being 4-5:
  • MTSU: Up 16-9 with all of the momentum on SUs side, Sean Riley muffs the punt which MTSU recovers. They tie the game on the following possession. SU could have gone for the kill had he fielded the catch.
  • LSU: Poor execution. Despite Dungey spotting LSU 7 points on the first play of the game, SU marched down the field to LSUs red zone. Ishmael dropped a pass that would have tied the game. Down 7-3, Sean Riley dropped a TD pass that would have given SU all of the momentum in the game. Defensive gaffe that led to a long TD through the air. Not going for 2 after the TD. Syracuse scored again and wound up onside kicking it when that wasn't the play. LSU scores to extend the lead to 9. Game.
  • NC State. Spotted the Wolfpack points early, but moved the ball at will. With NC State on their heels, Aaron Servais' 15 yard penalty takes SU out of the red zone and to the 30. Had to settle for three instead of a TD that would have given SU more momentum.
  • Miami. Interceptions, dropped passes and poor OL play specifically Aaron Servais. He botched a snap on two consecutive plays which took SU out of TD range and forced a FG. Rodney Williams dropped an INT on Miami's GW drive. Next play was a TD.
  • FSU: Red zone inefficiency. Three TDs on one play; two of which were aided by questionable penalties and non-calls.

Our line hasn't had it's best lineman all year. That and the fact that we are loaded with youth on the line could have a lot to do with it. I think going from highschool to d1 on the line is probably the most difficult transition. Starting RS freshman or true freshman is less than ideal, but if you can live through the growing pains, it'll payoff huge in the future. Right now we're playing a junior, two rs freshmen, a rs soph. and a rs senior. A lot of true freshman and rs freshman on the 2 deep as well. Bodes well for the future, but not so much right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom