The recruit that got away | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The recruit that got away

Yeah. If you say Vick, you believe that him coming to Syracuse completely changes his personal life path and he doesn't make certain decisions we know he makes in this timeline.

I don't believe that.
I don't believe we can say it is certain anything would change, but he would have been around a different group of people that may have shifted him into a different direction.

I don't believe we can say it is certain anything would change, but he would have been around a different group of people that may have shifted him into a different direction.
For sure. We'll never know.

I bump this because I watched part 1 of the Vick 30 for 30 last night and if you take what he said at face value, he was never coming here despite SU being a finalist. His father not being around and when he was, he'd would get his family into situations they should have been was the reason he went to Tech. He believes his brother would have been killed had he not been going back to Newport News regularly.

Who?
Decommit that went to PSU, had a very solid career there as an LB and would’ve fit nicely with Franklin and Bennett. Him and Franklin occupied the same position, but I’m confident it would have been figured out.

Vick. I was with Kevin Rogers the evening after he found out. He was both pissed and bummed. His words were we completely had him until the HS coach got involved and something changed last minute.

Mike Vick changes the trajectory of this program for the past two decades completely.

Melvin Gordon because he basically begged to come and Dougie was cool with Tyree Smallwood.

Yes for a former Cuse player coached him in HS in Kenosha WI and HC Marrone didn’t show any interest. Heard Gordon wanted to play for the Orange but was denied by Big Doug.

That story is substantially overblown [not a potshot at you as the messenger, orangejet].

We really weren’t that close with Gordon. He wanted to take a look here, but he wasn’t offered by Wisconsin yet.

Vick or Ray Rice on the other hand...

Yeah I don't really remember us being that close to actually landing Gordon had we pursued him and I don't really remember Irvin being close to coming either. Vick was an absolutely disastrous miss for this program as was Rice. Not blaming anyone just stating the reality. Good way to start a Friday evening.

Vick. I was with Kevin Rogers the evening after he found out. He was both pissed and bummed. His words were we completely had him until the HS coach got involved and something changed last minute.
A buddy in college was boys with Rogers' son, knew the family and that was what he relayed. Indicated they thought they had him and were extremely disappointed to learn they didn't.

I remember seeing a video where mcnabb hosted him for his official visit and Vick said it was done deal and was going to commit like a day later and his mom got involved. It’s on YouTube somewhere. Pretty crazy if that guy came here after mcnabb

Yeah. If you say Vick, you believe that him coming to Syracuse completely changes his personal life path and he doesn't make certain decisions we know he makes in this timeline.

I don't believe that.
He didn't have those issues in college.

Mike Vick changes the trajectory of this program for the past two decades completely.

Melvin Gordon because he basically begged to come and Dougie was cool with Tyree Smallwood.

We might as well rename Melvin Gordon to Paul Bunyan, because everything you just said is basically a tall tale.

Not to mention even if Gordon did commit here, he would have decommitted to Wisconsin when they offered just like he did to Iowa. The piece of the story all of the obsessed Marrone detractors seem to conveniently leave out.

That story is substantially overblown [not a potshot at you as the messenger, orangejet].

Yeah exactly. The way it's told now you'd think that Melvin Gordon rode a bicycle to the Dome and begged Marrone to play for Syracuse.

Guys who ended up being stars:

Mike Vick
Tamba Hali
Greg Olsen
Rob Gronkowski

Guys we were in the final 4-5, didn't have a huge impact at their schools but think would have done well here:
Ishaq Williams
Ebenezer Ogundeko
Xavier Lee
Greg Threat

Flips:
Jason Cabinda
Mark Spinney
Josh Palmer

And I qualify this list as guys who either officially visited or we were in the final 5. Not tall tales.

Last edited:
Yeah exactly. The way it's told now you'd think that Melvin Gordon rode a bicycle to the Dome and begged Marrone to play for Syracuse.
It was a beach cruiser, to be exact.

We might as well rename Melvin Gordon to Paul Bunyan, because everything you just said is basically a tall tale.

Not to mention even if Gordon did commit here, he would have decommitted to Wisconsin when they offered just like he did to Iowa. The piece of the story all of the obsessed Marrone detractors seem to conveniently leave out.
I mean realistically do I know that happened? No.

Do I care? No.

Does it matter? No.

But the older I get the more I love tall tales!

And btw, I’m a staunch Marrone supporter... just ask Rocco

It's not even overblown, it's just an outright fallacy. Not what happened whatsoever.

I mean realistically do I know that happened? No.

Do I care? No.

Does it matter? No.

But the older I get the more I love tall tales!

And btw, I’m a staunch Marrone supporter... just ask Rocco

Confirmed, my friend!

Was in Richmond for work a few weeks ago and randomly met a guy who was a big VT supporter (said he was going to lunch with Bruce Smith that week, yada yada).

Said I wasn't a fan with being an SU fan, and gave Vick as the reason -- saying initially that the mother was the reason. He corrected me and said the HS coach was the main cog.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom