The Ref side (shitty calls by the refs..a new column) | Syracusefan.com

The Ref side (shitty calls by the refs..a new column)

STEVEHOLT

There are FIVE letters in the name BLAIN.
This is in homage to SWC and his upside/downside. It is my take on the shittier calls of the game by people paid six figures to not suck.

having said that...the vast majority of the calls are correct. although this is like saying the vast majority of blind people can dive successfuly into the ocean from a boat anchored in the middle of the ocean.

Today I highlight a couple stinkers. ...three actually.

-The goaltend on Melo in the first half. What? the ball was barely out of the guy's hand and melo is swatting it to the floor..and they call it goaltending? you could read coach's lips "that was not goaltending" although he said it very politely and matter of fact...full well knowing we were never going to lose this game simply because God hates Rutgers and likes Syracuse.

-The call in the second half down the stretch where not one..but two rutgers players swat the ball out of bounds and dick head (you know who you are) says it went of Waiters.

-for fairness..the goaltend call against rutgers vs scoop in the second half where melo flushed the rebound. the rutgers player never touched the ball..not that it mattered.

-the "block" called on Melo when FD backed his thing up into melo and knocked him flying. This was a bad call on two fronts..first..it was not a block..it was a no call or charge. TWO..if you DO call it a block..the bucket should have counted.

-for fairness..the goaltend call against rutgers vs scoop in the second half where melo flushed the rebound. the rutgers player never touched the ball..not that it mattered.

FWIW on the replay it looked to me like the Rutgers guy definitely touched that ball while it was in the cylinder. I think it was already sitting on the back of the rim. I have to rewatch it to be sure.

Haha I like the idea of this post. Keep the $hi**y ref posts to one thread.

As for the calls you noted, the goaltending was the worst for me. Fab left the floor when the shooter did and got the ball as it was going up. Not even close.

Oh, and I think that Carter kid is a ball-carrying, foot-shuffling machine. I'm surprised he doesn't get called for more travels.

There were a few bad calls in the Rutgers game but considering that Burr was one of the officials, and they called too many 'touch' fouls, the officiating was OK for a road game. I grade it as a 'B'. If it doesn't get worse the rest of the year, as I am accustomed to from past history, I will be happy.

I was surprised the game announcers didn't make more out of the faux-goaltending call. No replay and barely a comment.

The thing that always amazes me is their desire to call piddling touch fouls en masse, but basically ignore any real contact. Seemed like yesterday in the first half they were calling a lot of touch fouls, yet the fouls really never added up to a critical level, in part because they seem to ignore most of the random pushes, over the backs and hack jobs that occur in the lane.

I thought the phantom goaltending call and out of bounds call by "dick head" (I like that nickname) were bad. Since I was at the game I couldnt wait to get home to watch the DVR of those plays. Was disappointed (not surprised) that ESPN really didn't replay the goaltending call at all. I replayed the out of bouds call in slow motion just to make sure that I wasnt missing something that Burr saw, but it was even more egregious.

One questionable call that went in our favor was the NBA continuation "and one" call for Scoop. The Rutgers fans were "pissing & moaning" about the non-calls late in the 2nd half when we finally started to defend the basket and rebound the ball well. Like others have said, I was expecting a really bad game by the refs, but it did not live up to my expectations.

Don't forget the over the back where Joseph got pushed damn near out of bounds in the first minute or two and the Rutgers guy stopping in the lane and sliding a good foot, but no travel call.

I was surprised the game announcers didn't make more out of the faux-goaltending call. No replay and barely a comment.
I still say the goaltending call is the most confusing especially where the backboard is in play, and since theoretically any dunk is a goaltending. The call is 10-12 ft in the air usually shielded by 2-3 sets of arms and heads. I'm surprised they get as many right as they do. Sometimes I see plays and just have to take their word for it.

i would like to add pretty much every no call in the OT of this uconn vs nova game into this thread. lamb lands on cheeks back and there is no call. johnson is pushing off boatwright nearly every time down the court and the ref only calls a foul on boatright. then lamb gets held on an inbounds..no call.

What

i would like to add pretty much every no call in the OT of this uconn vs nova game into this thread. lamb lands on cheeks back and there is no call. johnson is pushing off boatwright nearly every time down the court and the ref only calls a foul on boatright. then lamb gets held on an inbounds..no call.

What
Wow tell me about it. WWF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom