The refs... | Syracusefan.com

The refs...

jdubs30

Living Legend
They were fine, the had a few iffy calls but it went both ways. Pitt has always attacked the zone well and today was no different. Triche struggled, MCW was sloppy, and Fair didn't touch the ball enough, that's why we lost. The refs were NOT an issue today. Pitt is physical, that's their MO, and we didn't match that today, period.

Moving screens and boxing out the weak side defender on drives to the lane aren't exactly allowed.

the only issue i had was that pitts. bigs had numerous 3 second violations not called

The difference between SU and Pitt is toughness vs. soft. WE recruit totally different type of players.

Haven't you heard? All losses can in some way be traced back to the refs, regardless which team it is/the final score.

Problem was Elmore and Patrick analysis of rules and fake fouls. Refs temselves were satisfactory.

Eh, it's a Pitt game, Pitt plays physical and usually gets away with some stuff - I've grown to accept that. Not really upset at that, they did allow Pitt a whole bunch of travels. Found that kind of odd.

Lol. Needed your own thread? I don't care who the fouls were or weren't on. They let it be a football game. A foul is a foul. That doesn't changed based upon what style one team plays.

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3

What we watched today was but Basketball. It was football..and until something is done about the officiating out Will continue to get worse..its sad when the nba is better officiated

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Lol. Needed your own thread? I don't care who the fouls were or weren't on. They let it be a football game. A foul is a foul. That doesn't changed based upon what style one team plays.

made this before i saw yours! i mean you're right, it's a foul regardless; but they seem a little more lenient with pitt so we have to expect that type of game, i thought we got away with some fouls as well though.

I think Pitt will struggle with the officiating in the ACC, since unlike the Big East they will be pretty much the only team playing a real physical style.

The refs allowed Pitt far too many hip checks & moving picks.

Absolutely right. Go back and watch the game. Zanna fouls someone on EVERY other possession. He is actually a connoisseur of fouling. Moving screens, fouls on breaks that should have been intentional (absolutely no play on the ball), and my favorite was taking grant (he got called once but that was only because jerami hooked under his arm so zanna fell with him) and pushing him out of the way. Don't get me wrong. Its perfectly legal to establish position on the block. But you can't plow into someone while you are still running down court to get space.

And then there is old Jim Burr. I think there are a lot of professions where extensive experience is key. But when you are running up and down the court trying to keep up with 18-23 (yes, 23 and not just BYU) year olds you would think things like eyesight and conditioning just may be needed. Although in fairness to him he may have been the best one out there today. One specific play stands out where Keita was called for a foul under the basket trying to block a shot. He went for the pump fake (its an epidemic amongst our guys), did not even touch the pitt guy, and then got called for one.

In the end the refs to determine the pace of the game and whether they are going to let ticky tacks go or are going to play it close to the vest. I hate ticky tack calls but hate even more what was going on today. It was like watching cinci over again. One other thing. Our players are not soft, as evident by the cinci game and the fact they don't have to go into the locker room when they get poked in the eye. Then hear len elmore and patrick talk about it like it was jordan fighting off the flu in the finals. CJ gets poked in the eye every game.

I understand Pitt is physical... but, there is no excuse for MCW and Brandon repeatedly going into the lane with a high dribble and getting stripped like 6 times. I know we are a finesse team, but we have to be stronger.

I understand Pitt is physical... but, there is no excuse for MCW and Brandon repeatedly going into the lane with a high dribble and getting stripped like 6 times. I know we are a finesse team, but we have to be stronger.
Exactly correct. Pitt players hands are so fast and strong they only get the ball every damned time. The fact that one of our player's arm is grabbed around the elbow area is irrelevant. When playing Pitt everything from the shoulder down is considered part of the ball.

By the way please stop using Burr's spare glasses while watching the game.

Was anyone really surprised by the style of this game?
It's Pitt for heaven's sake.
They've played rock 'em sock 'em basketball since just about the time they ousted Roy Chipman.
We just didn't outplay them with whatever it takes to get the job done.
We're the Big East...not the ACC!

Meanwhile...think they'll get away with this kind of banging in Cameron or the Dean Dome?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom