The return of the Axeman... | Syracusefan.com

The return of the Axeman...

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
Is this just a webcast? Or does that mean that Upon Further Review is no longer from 3-7pm every day?

I've never been a fan. The goofy/wacky "old man voice" he does just makes me turn the channel. Very milk-toast radio, very little substance

I am not in Syracuse, so I'm not sure what the programming is. Any idea of why he'll only be on for an hour?

I've never been a fan. The goofy/wacky "old man voice" he does just makes me turn the channel. Very milk-toast radio, very little substance
Ditto. I like Axe but the old man voice is annoying .

I don't always love him on the radio - but do appreciate that he is one of us (born and bred).

If it's only an hour, fill it with only SU-related stuff. You can always find talk about LeBron, etc. give us SU.

I've been listening to Axeman ever since he used to do morning announcements at High School. I guess I am just immune to him. I find him pretty interesting.

If it's only an hour, fill it with only SU-related stuff. You can always find talk about LeBron, etc. give us SU.
Since its only an hour show I wouldn't be shocked if its a taped show (at least some days if not all) and they take no phone callers. Figure 1 hour, after commercials he probably has what...40-45 min to fill. 10-12 min monologue to open the show, maybe a guest interview a day. He could tape that show anytime between 10am to noon and nobody would know if they don't take phone callers.

So does Axe's show fall right in the middle of UFR? I'm not complaining as I'll take Axe over McManus every day on my commute, but did they announce a new show at 6, or does it go back to UFR?

Since its only an hour show I wouldn't be shocked if its a taped show (at least some days if not all) and they take no phone callers. Figure 1 hour, after commercials he probably has what...40-45 min to fill. 10-12 min monologue to open the show, maybe a guest interview a day. He could tape that show anytime between 10am to noon and nobody would know if they don't take phone callers.
He still works full time at Syracuse.com. It makes just as much sense for him to get out of work, go a few blocks down the street, and talk for an hour live as it does to tape it on his lunch break.

I retired at the end of 2008 and started listening to local sports radio and picked up on the Axeman. I found his show friendly and informative, with no ego, no sense of "putting on a show", or trying to rip somebody to draw attention. It was more the listeners show than the host's. It was like a conversation with the local bartender about sports. I'm glad he's back.

And local programming will always be better than national because it will cover national issues but also local issue, which rarely, and then only briefly, show up on the national shows inevitably in a distorted fashion. Also, calling into a local show is easy, a national show like trying to win the lottery.

He still works full time at Syracuse.com. It makes just as much sense for him to get out of work, go a few blocks down the street, and talk for an hour live as it does to tape it on his lunch break.
all depends what time he wants to be home for dinner. Taping 40 min in afternoon means you are home for dinner by 4:30 or 5pm maybe

I've been listening to Axeman ever since he used to do morning announcements at High School. I guess I am just immune to him. I find him pretty interesting.
God that brings back some memories. Class of '96

I retired at the end of 2008 and started listening to local sports radio and picked up on the Axeman. I found his show friendly and informative, with no ego, no sense of "putting on a show", or trying to rip somebody to draw attention. It was more the listeners show than the host's. It was like a conversation with the local bartender about sports. I'm glad he's back.

And local programming will always be better than national because it will cover national issues but also local issue, which rarely, and then only briefly, show up on the national shows inevitably in a distorted fashion. Also, calling into a local show is easy, a national show like trying to win the lottery.
Actually for me the only interest I had was waiting for your call, you always had something informative to say.

Actually for me the only interest I had was waiting for your call, you always had something informative to say.

On this occasion, they kept saying that the Axeman would be back in two weeks, on August 4th. the informative thing I had to say was that August 4th is three weeks from now.

I like the 1-hour format. I listen to the other two local shows and they repeat themselves and go off-topic after the first hour.

Brent Axe ‏@BrentAxeMedia 1m
Ladies and Gents, I am thrilled to announce that I am returning to the radio airwaves.

"On the Block" will air weekdays from 5-6 p.m. on @ESPNSYRACUSE and @ESPNUR. First show is Monday, August 4.

I will remain in my current position at http://Syracuse.com in Community Engagment as well.

Huge thanks to @realradiodude @CuseChris and the good folks at Galaxy Communications for making this happen. I'm excited.
I feel like Michael Scott felt when Toby returned to Dunder Mifflin

Axeman was extremely disrespectful to coach P in his last years. Its ok to be critical but he went overboard, I will say he seemed to learn from his experiance because he was not like that after P was gone.