The Roster's Not All That Young | Syracusefan.com

The Roster's Not All That Young

LeMoyneCuse

All American
I've seen it said in a couple of threads that the team is young. The COVID year means everyone's counter stopped, so looks are deceiving. Here's a breakdown of scholarship players and how long they've been in college:

5th or 6th Year - 14 Players
4th year - 15 Players
3rd Year - 16 Players
2nd Year - 21 Players (Including 5 True Sophs and 16 RS Frosh)
1st Year - 15 Players

I probably missed a guy or two, but it's late and it's besides the point. More than half the roster is an academic junior or above. To me, there's pretty good roster balance. Plus, with the exception of the D-Line, most expected contributors are in that "older guy" bracket.

Everyone has players who got the extra Covid year.

I suspect we are younger than most teams we will play.

I think this mix is one you can win with.

Wish we had a bit softer schedule but I think 6-8 wins is doable.
I think it seems that way because we don't have many guys that were really productive as freshman, especially on offense, that are now upperclassmen like we used to have when we were consistently good. There are a lot of names on the two deep this year that were on the two deep last year.

I've seen it said in a couple of threads that the team is young. The COVID year means everyone's counter stopped, so looks are deceiving. Here's a breakdown of scholarship players and how long they've been in college:

5th or 6th Year - 14 Players
4th year - 15 Players
3rd Year - 16 Players
2nd Year - 21 Players (Including 5 True Sophs and 16 RS Frosh)
1st Year - 15 Players

I probably missed a guy or two, but it's late and it's besides the point. More than half the roster is an academic junior or above. To me, there's pretty good roster balance. Plus, with the exception of the D-Line, most expected contributors are in that "older guy" bracket.

When I made that statement before, it was going off of incorrect data.

This is more balanced. I wish it was a little more balanced on the DL, but what are ya gonna do.

When I made that statement before, it was going off of incorrect data.

This is more balanced. I wish it was a little more balanced on the DL, but what are ya gonna do.
Not meant as a critique of anyone!

I have information, and I like organizing and sharing it.

As fans we need to take one game at a time. I can’t remember a bigger opening game. A win is so important to get us off to a good start. A loss will bring out the wolves early. The fans need to show up and support this team. I can’t remember the last time we had as many impact players on a team. This team has several stars.

As fans we need to take one game at a time. I can’t remember a bigger opening game. A win is so important to get us off to a good start. A loss will bring out the wolves early. The fans need to show up and support this team. I can’t remember the last time we had as many impact players on a team. This team has several stars.
I agree. The first game here is massive. Now yes it’s only 1 game, and I get it our season is far from doomed if we lose. But, the mental positivity of a big win out of the gate is so big. We haven’t been able to win our first big game of the year in awhile. Looks like beating FSU in 2018 was the last time and look what that did to our season. (Granted this ville team is better then that FSU team but you get the point).

With a program that’s not considered a “winning program” at all, this game means so much more to us and this season. These are the toss up games you need to win to make a season go from bad to good

I suspect we are younger than most teams we will play.
I disagree.

Every roster has to be 85 schollies or under for 2022, which means every roster needed to be pared down for this season, despite the COVID year of forgiveness.

For the sake of quick analysis, let's look at the ACC.

For the 2022 class, Syracuse fell in roughly the middle of the ACC in having 17 commits. VTech, Clemson, and BC had 20+ commits. Pitt had 11.

For the 2021 class, Syracuse had 21 commits, which is in the lower-middle of commits for the year. VTech, Virginia, and BC all had 25+ commits. FSU and GTech had 17.

So Syracuse is actually in the lower half of youth in the ACC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom