The simple truth about college basketball the sport is relevant nationally 1 month a year | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The simple truth about college basketball the sport is relevant nationally 1 month a year

I agree with many of your points but here is what the NBA doesn't have over college hoops:

- Trades. Way too many trades often driven by $$$ where contracts are moved here and there. Guys rarely stay on the same team for very long.

I disagree on this point. Trades and free agent movement are what have made the league a 365-day a year sport. The NBA took some shine away from Superbowl week when Dallas traded for Kristaps. Twitter and fans go nuts when these trades happen. I check 10 times a day for Anthony Davis updates and that's conservative compared to others I'm sure.

Anyways ... this thread indeed has 4 separate topics in it.

To me, the season is broken down into 3 sections. The pre-season (which I like, as a way to get to know the team, and watch them gel and hopefully win some games against solid p5 teams). The regular season (self explanatory), and post season. Each is unique and an accomplishment to do well in. Now, I get that this team, and the last few, have been hard to enjoy from a fan perspective. When we were going undefeated in the pre-season, fighting for the best pod, and regular season championships, everyone was excited and the season was fun and exciting. Everything mattered! Unfortunately that hasn't been the case for a few seasons and it's been hard to root with the same passion. Everything gets tainted with the taste of a once proud program on hard times. Heck, it's way more enjoyable watching ANY college bball when we are good.

For this year, I thought at the very least we would be very solid on D, and improved (i.e good enough) on O, for us to have a decent year - by our standards. That in itself would be reason for some excitement. However, I think as a fan base, we are becoming numb to the state of our union (much like how football was).

Every game I pine for some excitement and the fun we as Syracuse fans have been accustomed to. However, more often than not nowadays, i'm opining on the state of the program and why I am investing so much time and energy on a team that looks disinterested and dysfunctional half the time... it's more a chore, than entertainment, but I can't ever quit this team...

But more to the OP's point, If we were ranked in the top 10 this year, would this still be an issue? We would all be enjoying the ride a lot more than white knuckling a season, and praying for a good match-up in the dance. For me, March Madness is exciting and the pen-ultimate goal for any team is to be the last team standing, but the season is more that 1 month, or 1 game, and I can't turn off being a fan, to casually "enjoy the ride" cuz the product is middling and we are going through a tough stretch. Maybe that's just me, but if i'm in I'm all in.

i'm opining on the state of the program and why I am investing so much time and energy on a team that looks disinterested and dysfunctional half the time... it's more a chore, than entertainment
This has been the theme for about 5 years now. We have no choice but to be numb because we know that JB won't make any drastic changes even as the iceburg continues to scrape through the hull. If he doesn't want to rethink his offensive and defensive systems then he needs to recognize the current talent level is not getting it done. Do a national search and bring in some big time recruiters. If that means making some difficult decisions with the current staff then so be it. But he has to make some changes if he wants to avoid tarnishing his legacy.

I disagree on this point. Trades and free agent movement are what have made the league a 365-day a year sport. The NBA took some shine away from Superbowl week when Dallas traded for Kristaps. Twitter and fans go nuts when these trades happen. I check 10 times a day for Anthony Davis updates and that's conservative compared to others I'm sure.

Anyways ... this thread indeed has 4 separate topics in it.

One reason the NBA is a 365 day a year sport is that the entity with the biggest sports media megaphone (ESPN) has plowed Billions into (at their financial regret) the NBA and therefore bombards us with all things NBA 24/7. They'll tell you what LeBron fed Bronny for breakfast yesterday. Gets nauseating after a while.

To me, the season is broken down into 3 sections. The pre-season (which I like, as a way to get to know the team, and watch them gel and hopefully win some games against solid p5 teams). The regular season (self explanatory), and post season. Each is unique and an accomplishment to do well in. Now, I get that this team, and the last few, have been hard to enjoy from a fan perspective. When we were going undefeated in the pre-season, fighting for the best pod, and regular season championships, everyone was excited and the season was fun and exciting. Everything mattered! Unfortunately that hasn't been the case for a few seasons and it's been hard to root with the same passion. Everything gets tainted with the taste of a once proud program on hard times. Heck, it's way more enjoyable watching ANY college bball when we are good.

For this year, I thought at the very least we would be very solid on D, and improved (i.e good enough) on O, for us to have a decent year - by our standards. That in itself would be reason for some excitement. However, I think as a fan base, we are becoming numb to the state of our union (much like how football was).

Every game I pine for some excitement and the fun we as Syracuse fans have been accustomed to. However, more often than not nowadays, i'm opining on the state of the program and why I am investing so much time and energy on a team that looks disinterested and dysfunctional half the time... it's more a chore, than entertainment, but I can't ever quit this team...

But more to the OP's point, If we were ranked in the top 10 this year, would this still be an issue? We would all be enjoying the ride a lot more than white knuckling a season, and praying for a good match-up in the dance. For me, March Madness is exciting and the pen-ultimate goal for any team is to be the last team standing, but the season is more that 1 month, or 1 game, and I can't turn off being a fan, to casually "enjoy the ride" cuz the product is middling and we are going through a tough stretch. Maybe that's just me, but if i'm in I'm all in.
I follow the program all-in I know pretty everything to know about our team and recruiting.
My point is the sport is not nationally relevant like it used to be.
ESPN2 was legitimatized by having Duke-UNC basketball game.
That wouldn’t do it today.

The sport has been destroyed by early entry into the NBA and just the product being worse each year.

I want the sport to be more relevant but honestly the college basketball season is on par with MLS soccer season nationally outside of March Madness.
It’s as relevant depending on the region caring. Like Syracuse cares, Kentucky, Indiana, Louisville, North Carolina it matters more than California, Florida, Texas, care.

feb. 23 there will be ~36k in the dome & several hundred thousand watching at home who disagree
Please tell me where I said the sport isn’t relevant in Syracuse,NY?
I said nationally as in Coast to Coast.
The ratings for college basketball aren’t strong nationally.
The sport matters in certain regions but the sport isn’t what it used to be because of players leaving early the quality of play isn’t what it used to be.

The passion and energy is off the charts compared regular season NBA basketball but the quality of play isn’t close to what it was.
March Madness the sport is relevant nationally.

Love SU Hoops - but Alsacs is right. I watched last night - I watch every game. In the old days, I'd be bummed today. But I know that the season continues - and that somehow, someway, we'll likely make the tourney.

I'm enjoying watching Buddy develop (even though last night was tough). I love Boeheim (even though he's fading a bit - see recruiting rankings). I even think watching Chukwu fumble the ball and fall over repeatedly is fun.

But it's become a pastime, not a passion - until March Madness. Those three weeks are awesome - especially if we somehow make the Sweet 16. That's what matters to me at this point - just get in the tourney. Somehow.

One reason the NBA is a 365 day a year sport is that the entity with the biggest sports media megaphone (ESPN) has plowed Billions into (at their financial regret) the NBA and therefore bombards us with all things NBA 24/7. They'll tell you what LeBron fed Bronny for breakfast yesterday. Gets nauseating after a while.

It's not just ESPN and they pump it because fans want it. LeBron aside, people can't get enough of the daily lives of players and all the subtle nuances like Twitter/IG beefs, reading between the lines of seemingly mundane posts, etc. The players are more reachable than ever.

Please tell me where I said the sport isn’t relevant in Syracuse,NY?
I said nationally as in Coast to Coast.
The ratings for college basketball aren’t strong nationally.
The sport matters in certain regions but the sport isn’t what it used to be because of players leaving early the quality of play isn’t what it used to be.

The passion and energy is off the charts compared regular season NBA basketball but the quality of play isn’t close to what it was.
March Madness the sport is relevant nationally.

The regional nature of the sport has been a thing for a long time. Generally speaking large metropolitan areas are more about the NBA where when u move away from the larger cities the college game is more popular.

feb. 23 there will be ~36k in the dome & several hundred thousand watching at home who disagree

True, but isn't that merely a factor of the game being an "event"? Personally, don't think cherry picking the superbowl of the carrier dome schedule is a fair assessment to gauge the level of interest syracuse bball or even college bball regionally or even nationally has. This is one game everyone had highlighted on their calendars.

It's not just ESPN and they pump it because fans want it. LeBron aside, people can't get enough of the daily lives of players and all the subtle nuances like Twitter/IG beefs, reading between the lines of seemingly mundane posts, etc. The players are more reachable than ever.

Could be but it doesn't hurt the NBA that ESPN is promoting the hell out of it. The Twitter/IG beefs are a turnoff to me. JMO.

Btw they pump it cuz they've sunk billions into what is generally regarded as one of the worst TV contracts in history.

It's mostly just making the NCAA and getting a favorable match-up.

As long as we get some middling P5 team that has never seen our zone I'm good. The rest falls into place until we hit a buzzsaw.

500px-Running_man_chainsaw.JPG

The sport has been destroyed by early entry into the NBA and just the product being worse each year.

I've been saying this for a while now. It water's down the product, and the fans don't get a chance to follow, root and see the players mature. I am sure this effects the national intrigue to some degree. In less macro terms, Syracuse has been the poster child for that. We often have borderline talent, with huge upside and the NBA takes a flyer on them... and we are left with a taste of what could have been, and no backup plan in the pipeline. So we end up having to cobble together some pieces, until the cycle repeats. The only way to change that, is changing how we recruit or changing the NBA draft process.

But to the broader point, this does have a legitimately negative impact on how the casual sports fan perceives college hoops. However, for the local or regional fan, I think that fielding a decent to good squad, helps alleviate that impact and builds excitement even with a watered down product.

The level of play in college basketball is so inferior to the NBA.
The only thing college basketball has over the NBA is passion and energy from the stands in places that truly care about the game.
That and college basketball is actually exciting to watch and more than one or two teams have a chance at winning it all.

Eh.

Single elimination makes for more intensity but the quality of play stinks and that’s compounded by the officiating. It’s also a poor way to crown a champ.

I mean I’m into MM but that’s almost entirely a by-product of the city where I was born and raised.

Pardon my ignorance but what's MM?

Thus just enjoy the ride and the upswings and downswings.
As long as we make the tournament it really doesn’t matter.
Unlike football where every game is very important you can have multiple stinkers like last night.
Qualifying for the tournament is really all that matters.
The level of play in college basketball is so inferior to the NBA.
The only thing college basketball has over the NBA is passion and energy from the stands in places that truly care about the game.

None of these college players nowadays are close to being developed products.
I realized watching the game last night who cares if they lose as long as they make the tournament.
The Pitt football OT loss this past year had me in a funk for a solid evening. I was laughing at the Pacers trolling of Brandon Ingram 30’seconds after the game ended last night.

Just sit back and enjoy the season and hope we bank enough wins to hear our name on selection Sunday as the relevance of college basketball nationally is tiny and doesn’t move the meter anymore.

I'm assuming you're not a season ticket holder.