The Sophomores haven't improved... | Syracusefan.com

The Sophomores haven't improved...

Cusefan0307

Red recruits the ACC!
Enough?

I don't know how good they were last year because they barely played, but the sophomores are killing us more than anything.

I know the popular thing to do here is to blame this on Trevor, but he really didn't even have an opportunity to get open yesterday. St. John's made it a point to not let him shoot. They also doubled Christmas and McCullough at any opportunity they had.

The open shots yesterday were going to come from Gbinije and whoever else was on the court. Patterson and Johnson got the biggest opportunities. They shot 4-15 and 1-10 from three. Pattersons shooting 18 percent now on the year. Johnson is slightly better at 33%. Lavin wanted those guys to shoot because at no point have they proven they could.

Good Syracuse teams have always had guys make big jumps from their freshman to sophomore years. We haven't seen that this year out of Johnson, Roberson, or Patterson.

Until they prove they can make a shot opposing coaches are going to make life difficult for Cooney, and double team Xmas and McCullough. The improvement of Gbinije helps, but we need one more guy to prove he's a threat just so we can have the floor properly spaced. The reason we are losing isn't because of the upperclassmen, it's because the sophomores have given us nothing!

Yep major disapointment so far. Also if they showed more, it would let us sit Kaleb a little bit more, he's not ready for 35+mpg at a high D1 level yet. I like what I see out of Patterson, he's a good passer and good on top of the zone, but jeez he can't shoot. I think Roberson could still be a major factor this year depending on health. But unless BJ is hitting his shots, he deson't really add much.

There's no way JB would play any of these kids if we had more depth. If Grant and Ennis came back we'd see Ennis/Cooney/Grant/Rak/McCullough with G off the bench, and that's it.

This is the problem with the win every game strategy that JB develops... Players need playing time to develop. They don't do that sitting on the bench. Imagine if these guys had gone through some of the growing pains last year.

This is the problem with the win every game strategy that JB develops... Players need playing time to develop. They don't do that sitting on the bench. Imagine if these guys had gone through some of the growing pains last year.
I think this theory is over exaggerated. "If he doesn't get PT he won't get better." Do people realize that for every potential 5 minutes of game time there is, these guys are practicing several hours against each other? Do people really think that MCW would have been just as good as a freshman if he got 5 mpg and didn't spend 10 months going up against scoop, Dion, and Triche every day? You don't get better by playing in games. That's about 1% of the baskeball you play. You get better in practice, especially in the offseason, and either these guys weren't as good as we though they were coming out of HS, they're not practicing as much as they should be, or a combination of the two.

I think this theory is over exaggerated. "If he doesn't get PT he won't get better." Do people realize that for every potential 5 minutes of game time there is, these guys are practicing several hours against each other? Do people really think that MCW would have been just as good as a freshman if he got 5 mpg and didn't spend 10 months going up against scoop, Dion, and Triche every day? You don't get better by playing in games. That's about 1% of the baskeball you play. You get better in practice, especially in the offseason, and either these guys weren't as good as we though they were coming out of HS, they're not practicing as much as they should be, or a combination of the two.
I think it's a combination of them probably not being as good as we had hoped, and them not developing like we expected. And there are issues that go beyond coaching them up. Roberson, when he's been on the floor, still looks skittish whenever he gets the ball. BJ can't put on weight, so at this point I'm not sure he'll ever be physically ready to compete at such a high level, no matter what kind of skillset he might have. Buss is, to be honest, about what I expected from him. I always had him pegged for a career backup combo guard.

jekelish said:
I think it's a combination of them probably not being as good as we had hoped, and them not developing like we expected. And there are issues that go beyond coaching them up. Roberson, when he's been on the floor, still looks skittish whenever he gets the ball. BJ can't put on weight, so at this point I'm not sure he'll ever be physically ready to compete at such a high level, no matter what kind of skillset he might have. Buss is, to be honest, about what I expected from him. I always had him pegged for a career backup combo guard.

I'm sensing a transfer or two, which - wink, wink - might coincide with scholarship reductions.

I'm sensing a transfer or two, which - wink, wink - might coincide with scholarship reductions.
Oh god, if we wind up having anyone transfer (and I would never advocate for a kid to leave, but it happens), I hope the only fallout is that it opens up another spot for Thomas Bryant.

Maybe...over exaggerated...but slightly imo. Practicing doesn't simulate the pressures and mental perseverance that real games situations do when the true lights come on. If you're not exposed to those conditions, at least to some valuable extent (meaning when the game is still in question) then you really have no idea how one will truly perform, at least not with any consistency. In my view, JB's win at all cost, certainly contributes to our players not quite being ready for prime time...

Oh god, if we wind up having anyone transfer (and I would never advocate for a kid to leave, but it happens), I hope the only fallout is that it opens up another spot for Thomas Bryant.

Bryant takes McCullough's scholarship.

Scholarship reductions won't happen until the 2016-17 class.

Bryant takes McCullough's scholarship.

Scholarship reductions won't happen until the 2016-17 class.
Hey, quit it - I'm trying to pretend McCullough will listen to my pleas and come back to get stronger. Can you imagine a front line of McCullough and Bryant, and then toss in whoever we wind up starting at the SF spot? (Richardson, maybe? But he's probably going to wind up as a 2G)

Enough?

I don't know how good they were last year because they barely played, but the sophomores are killing us more than anything.

I know the popular thing to do here is to blame this on Trevor, but he really didn't even have an opportunity to get open yesterday. St. John's made it a point to not let him shoot. They also doubled Christmas and McCullough at any opportunity they had.

The open shots yesterday were going to come from Gbinije and whoever else was on the court. Patterson and Johnson got the biggest opportunities. They shot 4-15 and 1-10 from three. Pattersons shooting 18 percent now on the year. Johnson is slightly better at 33%. Lavin wanted those guys to shoot because at no point have they proven they could.

Good Syracuse teams have always had guys make big jumps from their freshman to sophomore years. We haven't seen that this year out of Johnson, Roberson, or Patterson.

Until they prove they can make a shot opposing coaches are going to make life difficult for Cooney, and double team Xmas and McCullough. The improvement of Gbinije helps, but we need one more guy to prove he's a threat just so we can have the floor properly spaced. The reason we are losing isn't because of the upperclassmen, it's because the sophomores have given us nothing!
What happened to roberson yesterday? Still hurt?

People need to realize a lot of players take practice off. It's repetitive and boring and doesn't prepare a player for game situations or game speed.

Short and sweet version. It's not just the guard play, it's the entire team. They don't look for each other. Head down and go...bad shot or turnover.

jekelish: "I'm trying to pretend McCullough will listen to my pleas and come back to get stronger. Can you imagine a front line of McCullough and Bryant," More likely if McCullogh comes back, Bryant chooses Indiana. His mother has said they will watch the rosters to see who is leaving or staying.

cleveo4: "People need to realize a lot of players take practice off. It's repetitive and boring and doesn't prepare a player for game situations or game speed." Well the way that Johnson, Roberson and CM repeatedly make the same mistakes on defense, they must find that boring too.

Other teams seem to have no problem getting their shooters (?) numerous, good, clean looks. Why can't we do the same for Cooney?

samspann1 said:
Other teams seem to have no problem getting their shooters (?) numerous, good, clean looks. Why can't we do the same for Cooney?

Because he literally has somebody glued to him. Whomever is guarding Cooney doesn't move off of him no matter the situation. No double teams, no loose balls, no defensive help. His defender is literally in his face the entire time.

Because he literally has somebody glued to him. Whomever is guarding Cooney doesn't move off of him no matter the situation. No double teams, no loose balls, no defensive help. His defender is literally in his face the entire time.

I think that it's more than that - poor spacing on offense, bigs who are far too slow or unable to recognize a double, a PG who can't penetrate, and poor passing in general.

Cooney needs to adjust his game and do something other than being primarily a one dimensional shooter. I'm not sure he is capable of that at this point.

I never thought this class was phenomenal, but we tend to hype our recruits. Buss, BJ and Chino were all sleeper recruits. Ennis is gone and Roberson was a solid recruit but hasn't developed at this level yet.

Roberson appears to be bothered by injury. He looks like Baye trying to handle the ball out there.

Johnson is still really young and really slight. IMO, he shouldve redshirted last year.

Patterson is what he is - a 3* recruit who got recruited over by IU. He is a role player, but right now is struggling to fill the one role we need him for most (perimeter scoring).

Roberson needs to get healthy. BJ needs more time. Patterson just needs to play better. Lot's of room for improvement, but i believe these guys all can take the next step(s) during the season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom