The Spurs are incredible. | Syracusefan.com

The Spurs are incredible.

Eric15

Living Legend
They have won 19 games in a row. The other night they played at Indiana (who was 1st in the East) and won by 26. Their leading scorer (Tony Parker) is 39th in the league in scoring.

If it wasn't for a last second off-balance Ray Allen three last year, Tim Duncan would be going for ring #6 this year.

They have won 19 games in a row. The other night they played at Indiana (who was 1st in the East) and won by 26. Their leading scorer (Tony Parker) is 39th in the league in scoring.

If it wasn't for a last second off-balance Ray Allen three last year, Tim Duncan would be going for ring #6 this year.

They are everything that is good about the NBA, and have a great chance to come out of the west again. I am just not sure their aging roster can withstand the grind of the playoffs though. The title is Miami's to lose once again.

1duncan8.png

I saw this yesterday. It really shows how awesome a franchise they are. Tim Duncan has more 50 win seasons than most NBA teams!

Spurs are classy fun to watch, but they aren't the favorites to even get out of the West. Last year they had a cakewalk to the Finals, #7 seed Lakers w/o Kobe, #6 seed Warriors who have won 1 game in SA since 1994 and was game 2 in their series last year, and #5 seed Grizzlies who upset Oklahoma City without Westbrook.

I love Tim Duncan, and find him to be the most unappreciated superstar of all-time. However, I am sure he enjoys that and being left alone. I just think the Spurs won't win another title because the don't have that 5th gear to push it up a notch now that Duncan is on his last legs.

The Spurs are 33-2 against sub-500 teams and 26-14 against above .500 teams. Their are 0 sub-500 teams making the playoffs in the West and if the Spurs got the Grizziles as an 8 seed in the first round which is possible because they are right now tied with Mavs and Suns for the last 2 playoff spots look out.

I think I would pick the Clippers as my favorite out West as long as Chris Paul stays healthy. Blake Griffin has played really well this year probably the 3rd best in the league behind Durant and Lebron. The Clippers now have depth in their frontcourt and in a 7 game series versus San Antonio I would pick the Clippers. If the Clipper got knocked out before playing the Spurs I think they could beat OKC in a 7 games.

The Spurs are 33-2 against sub-500 teams and 26-14 against above .500 teams.

But isn't that an argument in their favor? If you have home court advantage throughout the playoffs, and you beat playoff-caliber teams 2/3rds of the time, you're probably winning a title.

View attachment 10290
I saw this yesterday. It really shows how awesome a franchise they are. Tim Duncan has more 50 win seasons than most NBA teams!

Man, tough to be a Golden State fan... 4 50-win seasons in 68 years.

I feel like I'm at the eye doctor taking a vision test with that chart. "Sir, please close your left eye, and tell me how many total seasons the Clippers have played."

Tim Duncan is just one of those guys that you can't help but to root for. And he's arguably the best all around basketball player in the last 20 years.

They have been playing the best form of basketball for years. This is why I'm always amazed when people pine for college basketball.

The Finals last year was the best basketball I've ever seen, perhaps.

But isn't that an argument in their favor? If you have home court advantage throughout the playoffs, and you beat playoff-caliber teams 2/3rds of the time, you're probably winning a title.
I am not taking anything away from 33-2. I just think the Spurs system is perfect for the regular season because they have a lot of good quality players and they eat up a lot of bad teams. However, the West is so stacked this year they will have 3 tough series if they have to go Memphis/Houston/OKC or LAC.

Popovich is such an underrated coach. Bill Belichick gets all the love for his coaching in the NFL, but Pop is even better than Bellichick IMO. He doesn't take away from players, he puts them in a position to win every game, they play hard for him and he doesn't micromanage.

I just think the Spurs team is built for the regular season, but teams like Miami and the Clippers/Thunder are built for the post season because of their star players.. I hope the Spurs win it as I really respect Duncan. The Spurs have been this good for over 15 years without paying the luxury tax, picking the 20s every draft, having little cap room, and the only lottery talent they have gotten since Duncan is Kawhi Leonard and they traded George Hill a 29th pick in the draft to Indiana to acquire Leonard.

View attachment 10290

They would have won 50 games every season of his career if not for the lockout-shortened season when they won the title if I'm not mistaken. He's just absolutely incredible.

Meh, I prefer to think of it as if it wasn't for the refs gifting the Heat game 6 Tim Duncan would be going for ring #6.

The NBA playoffs in the west this year might be the best ever. If you call yourself a basketball fan and don't tune in, youre doing yourself a disservice.

The east won't be nearly as exciting, but the bulls and the nets have outside shots of keeping series close. Noah is having a fantastic season.

The Spurs will represent the west this year again. This year Pop was able to rest all of his veterans mcu more than prior years. That is part of the reason they are on such a roll at the end; fresher legs. Being a Spurs fan I am going to hate to see the day that Pop retires. Best coach in Basketball; especially his interviews.

The Spurs will represent the west this year again. This year Pop was able to rest all of his veterans mcu more than prior years. That is part of the reason they are on such a roll at the end; fresher legs. Being a Spurs fan I am going to hate to see the day that Pop retires. Best coach in Basketball; especially his interviews.

I wish a reporter would have the courage to bust Popovich's chops a little bit when he gives ultra-brief one-word answers. Something like, "sorry Coach, I'm going to need more detail than that before I can let you go" or just ask him some random question that has nothing to do with basketball like, "Coach, what did you think of the fashion at last night's Oscar's?"

I am only a very casual NBA fan. I follow the Celtics as my team but I do watch occasionally if the Spurs are on. Pop is a fantastic coach. Plus I enjoy watching him give those ridiculous between-quarter interviews the time and seriousness they deserve. Whichever tv executive thought those were a good idea and would provide the least bit of useful information couldn't be more wrong if his ass was screwed on backwards (to quote an episode of Cheers)

Just re-watched Coach Pop's DVD called My Favorite Drills and the Motion Offense earlier this week and thought of this thread. While watching the Spurs play on TNT last night, I was once again struck by how sound their offensive execution is. They ran it to perfection last night, and that was without Tony Parker, who was out with an injury. In fact, "perfection" might be the best word to describe the offensive design.

Before looking at the Spurs' system, remember that any offense requires players that can execute the fundamentals of dribbling, passing, screening, cutting, shooting, posting up, and rebounding well. You know the old saying: "It's not the X's and the O's that matter so much as the Jimmy's and the Joe's." It amazing, though, that the Spurs are effective year after year regardless of what players surround Duncan, Parker, and Ginobili.

That said, the Spurs run an "option" motion offense, one that is truly an "equal opportunity" system. It shares several traits with John Wooden's UCLA offense and Tex Winter's famed version of the triangle offense. In essence, it is a motion offense in that the ball and players are constantly moving. However, it isn't "motion" in the truest sense since there are prescribed movements based on where the first pass is made and the subsequent cut the ball handler makes. This first pass-and-cut is determined by the defense. Hence, each possession is initiated and performed based on the defined movements dictated by the defense. This provides structure while also letting the players play--Pop doesn't need to call plays because the offense reacts to how the defense chooses to guard. In addition, the offense offers solid offensive rebounding opportunities while allowing solid defensive balance, which is probably part of why the Spurs are always an effective defensive squad.

The offense is best run when it starts in transition. Coach Pop instructs his players to push the ball as much as possible. Once in the half court, there are two base options, Strong and Weak, and then a secondary option called Loop. They also have an "automatic" high/spread pick and roll built into the offense anytime a player passes from the corner back to the player at the lane-line extended in Strong. I could go through the X's and O's, but this blog actually does so pretty well (with explanations of several video clips) for those interested:

http://spursmotionoffense.blogspot.com/2012/04/strong.html

http://spursmotionoffense.blogspot.com/2012/04/weak.html

http://spursmotionoffense.blogspot.com/2012/04/loop.html

Coach Pop teaches a series of counters for these options, too, making them difficult to defend. Using the theory that the defense can't take way everything all at once, this offense makes defenses pay by exploiting the openings that their choices create. These counters include back cuts, slipped screens, dribble hand offs, and pick and rolls.

http://spursmotionoffense.blogspot.com/2012/04/counters.html

http://spursmotionoffense.blogspot.com/2012/04/pick-and-roll-within-offense.html

This is wishful thinking, but I would love to see Syracuse utilize this type of offense (an options-based motion). It would reduce the stagnation in the half court, and it may allow players to find their own niche more effectively. Coach Pop claims that it takes new players the better part of a season to learn all of the counters but that, as the players do, they all find their own ways to contribute. Additionally, he says the players learn how each of their peers best fit and begin creating opportunities for each other. Perhaps this would solve Syracuse's issue of essentially playing 4-on-5 at the offensive end like we seemed to do when BMK was playing. Coach Pop also states that his players develop the full range of their fundamental skills in this offense as opposed to just one or two specialized skills. As a result, the offense improves over the course of the season, something SU's teams don't always achieve.

At any rate, I admire Coach Pop's approach to the game. Spurs basketball may not be flashy, but their fundamentally sound execution is a brilliant sight to behold.

Last edited:
^^^interesting!!! I hope SA comes out of the west but I don't see anyone beating the Thunder with Westbrook healthy in the west

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom