The story of the last three years begins and ends with the OL. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The story of the last three years begins and ends with the OL.

IMO, Sev has been the biggest disappoint for me this year. For some reason, his athleticism that made him above average has disappeared. I think our Berg would make a better LT than Sev right now.

Its hard to get on him with how much he has been messed with. The decision last year to switch 4 players based on the premise that all 5 OL players needing to play all 5 OL spots was on the coaching staff. To move him from 270 to center was an abomination. OL players need to master their given position, not be ready to play any other. It's ridiculous.

Its hard to get on him with how much he has been messed with. The decision last year to switch 4 players based on the premise that all 5 OL players needing to play all 5 OL spots was on the coaching staff. To move him from 270 to center was an abomination. OL players need to master their given position, not be ready to play any other. It's ridiculous.

When are you sending your resume in?

as someone who played the position at the college level, albeit only for a year, this is wildly overplayed. I cross trained at all three positions. That’s not the reason for his subpar play.

And people want to write off Tommy. Next year could be huge with the OL getting close to or up to full strength, a very capable RB, etc

I'm not writing him off, but I think he has a very limited ability to extend plays. And I think history would tell you that at Syracuse, you'll do much better with a QB who can extend plays.

Come on now. He was right because Duke's D strength was on the right. There has been a lot of responsibility put on his shoulders and he says yes to everything asked of him. He is a team player
Was it? I asked that previously, as I don't know. . It seemed like Berg got a lot of help and Serv was more on an island.

Does anyone have the current pff grades?

The injuries surely hurt this year but the OL has been poor every year under Babers. I really think the prep across the board is the biggest problem with the O. How often do you see OL, WR, or even our QBs seem like they are not able to grasp what is happening during a game? It seems like there is always a lineman trying to figure out what to do on a play. Or a WR not running a correct route. Or Dungey/TD trying to wait to figure out what their WR is doing on the play. The amount of coverage sacks/pressures the last 5 years is crazy. There seems to be a huge disconnect. So either the system is causing it or the coaches are doing a poor job of teaching it. The coaches are limited to the time they have with the kids. But the kids can do homework on their own. Could the new age teaching be part of the problem?

What other teams have had a cluster of injuries like this the last two years?

If there are any, they aren't handling it any better.
why do we keep having these injuries in this specific group, to say nothing of the overall number of injuries.-----something is systemically wrong somewhere.

The injuries surely hurt this year but the OL has been poor every year under Babers. I really think the prep across the board is the biggest problem with the O. How often do you see OL, WR, or even our QBs seem like they are not able to grasp what is happening during a game? It seems like there is always a lineman trying to figure out what to do on a play. Or a WR not running a correct route. Or Dungey/TD trying to wait to figure out what their WR is doing on the play. The amount of coverage sacks/pressures the last 5 years is crazy. There seems to be a huge disconnect. So either the system is causing it or the coaches are doing a poor job of teaching it. The coaches are limited to the time they have with the kids. But the kids can do homework on their own. Could the new age teaching be part of the problem?
I often wonder if time spent on tempo would be better served on fundamentals.

I'm not writing him off, but I think he has a very limited ability to extend plays. And I think history would tell you that at Syracuse, you'll do much better with a QB who can extend plays.
i think he was never going to be good at avoiding sacks and im worried he's shellshocked. the play he got hurt so unfortunately really didn't need to be a sack. it's just a bad combination of weaknesses and luck that compound each other and leads to a really bad result. what is the opposite of synergy

i think he was never going to be good at avoiding sacks and im worried he's shellshocked. the play he got hurt so unfortunately really didn't need to be a sack. it's just a bad combination of weaknesses and luck that compound each other and leads to a really bad result. what is the opposite of synergy

It's not just avoiding sacks though. His throws on the run never seem to be accurate. More important though, most times when he does scramble to the right (normal for a right handed QB), he never finds a receiver who comes open. Like, ever. Is it possible that no one ever comes open ever?

That's a skill all QBs need, even the factories.

I think what shell shocked him the most last year were his 2 really bad sideline interceptions in the Maryland and Clemson games. So then whenever he got out of the pocket, he just made sure the ball went into the 3rd row.

people need to look at other schools.. you dont think they cross train as well?

Come on now. He was right because Duke's D strength was on the right. There has been a lot of responsibility put on his shoulders and he says yes to everything asked of him. He is a team player

And I wonder if Servais is playing hurt. The whole OL played better last year once he moved back to LT.

why do we keep having these injuries in this specific group, to say nothing of the overall number of injuries.-----something is systemically wrong somewhere.
For this year? Take a bunch of 300lbers and send them home for 3 months. Less oversight on SnC, lack of training equipment and dietary oversight. Lack of a training staff to check any issues, and other injuries going unchecked and made worse -or going undiagnosed for months. Some issues that could have been taken care of in April or May? Pushed out months due to Covid.

Often times there are a number of reasons for the lack of production, and a number of those reasons have been discussed in this thread. I would like to toss one more in the ring. Obviously development hasn't been great in this department, while the development of OLmen is often a crap shoot we have not seen too much positive in growth or "leap forwards" from anyone on the line. I think its time to start looking at the OL coaching. Cav struggled, and ultimately got fired at Nebraska, a school that was the definition of the Oline once in their proud history, and I have seen nothing from him in the development department since he arrived on campus. The unit has been average at best in the "good year" and record setting awful for multiple years. I understand he and his family is going through a lot, and I truly feel for them because there are bigger things in this world than football, but, at some point, this position (arguably one of the most important position coaches on the team) needs to be VERY closely examined

For this year? Take a bunch of 300lbers and send them home for 3 months. Less oversight on SnC, lack of training equipment and dietary oversight. Lack of a training staff to check any issues, and other injuries going unchecked and made worse -or going undiagnosed for months. Some issues that could have been taken care of in April or May? Pushed out months due to Covid.
this is year after year---not just this year. we have heard it 4 of 5years that there are issues with ol. again something is systemically wrong. s&c, type of player we are getting, scheme we are running --its something!!!!! anyone have a hypothesis on this???

Did you notice the first thing I posted, two seasons ago the same five guys made 64 of 65 starts.

So it not a chronic problem. Last year was a single injury disrupted a line that was in transition needing to replace three seniors.

This year is unprecedented with the injuries to the guards. Going into the season they had a competition among four guys for the open guard spot. That was it. Instead none of those guys, and the returning starter, are available.

That is the source of the problems in the run and pass game.

Last edited:
this is year after year---not just this year. we have heard it 4 of 5years that there are issues with ol. again something is systemically wrong. s&c, type of player we are getting, scheme we are running --its something!!!!! anyone have a hypothesis on this???
Sure. Though losing 60% of your returners would seem unprecedented. Covid/3 months away has a part in it, this year.

Last edited:

No argument here on the history. I've been pleased with his improvement in this area this year though. Especially after the Pitt game. He's stepped out, in, run, etc. Not a strength, but improving.

I never said he wasn't a team player. He's done a lot for this team but he's struggled this year. I think the move to the right side was to help him out a little.

think Cav deserves another year before we judge, the 2021 haul is impressive. Less upset with him than I am Lustig/WR coaches and Dino.

I never said he wasn't a team player. He's done a lot for this team but he's struggled this year. I think the move to the right side was to help him out a little.
I didn't mean to imply you were saying that. I was just saying it because I am impressed with his effort- even so, I agree with the statements that he's been stretched a little thin

When are you sending your resume in?

Nah, have a good job, its OL coaching 101. Guards are guards size, speed, and technique wise and tackles are tackles. Say what you want, it was a big part of the ruination of 2019.

think Cav deserves another year before we judge, the 2021 haul is impressive. Less upset with him than I am Lustig/WR coaches and Dino.
Not sold on Cav. Have not been since he came here from Ne. Dino will keep him another year but to think the OL recruits will have any impact next year is not realistic. Dino needs to hit the transfer portal hard. There were so many OL in the portal this last year with immediate eligibility. Bleech was a nice pick up but he was injured and not guaranteed a waiver. Other schools in the ACC have picked up quality OL transfers and plugged them right in. Not sure exactly what the staff is looking for in transfer on the OL but definitely missed this last year with a lot of available options.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom