The Tez Walker Saga... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The Tez Walker Saga...

I'm far from an NCAA fan, but this is nuts

The schools set the rules as members of the NCAA. The NCAA is applying those rules as outlined by those member institutions, such as UNC. If the schools/conferences don't like the rules, then they have the power to change them. They just don't, they blame it on the NCAA instead - the organization they created with the power and regulations they gave them. Sorry, not on UNC's side with this.

The schools set the rules as members of the NCAA. The NCAA is applying those rules as outlined by those member institutions, such as UNC. If the schools/conferences don't like the rules, then they have the power to change them. They just don't, they blame it on the NCAA instead - the organization they created with the power and regulations they gave them. Sorry, not on UNC's side with this.

The NCAA changed their criteria in March of this year on 2-time transfers...

The new criteria are designed to curtail 2-time transfers, so transfers they were approving last year are now being denied.

Common sense in this kid's situation would dictate that he should be eligible to play for UNC (and I am certainly no UNC apologist), but the new cirteria do not take common sense into consideration.

The criteria should cover this kid's specific sort use case situation and allow for it.

It just goes to show how poorly rationalized and inadequate the new NCAA criteria are.

UNC's statement basically calls out the NCAA for behaving poorly as the sports governing body of their member institutions and inadequately applying proper governance to the student athlete and member institution in this situation.

This is not a new theme and can be reasonably argued that they are correct.

Last edited:
Who says UNC supported the current rules? Maybe they didn’t, I am sure it doesn’t take unanimous consent for it to pass. This kid should be allowed to play, his first school canceled their season and his second team lost their head coach. Not to mention the legit mental health/caretaker situation he has. I think this board is backing this BS because it’s NC, not because it’s ok

Who says UNC supported the current rules? Maybe they didn’t, I am sure it doesn’t take unanimous consent for it to pass. This kid should be allowed to play, his first school canceled their season and his second team lost their head coach. Not to mention the legit mental health/caretaker situation he has. I think this board is backing this BS because it’s NC, not because it’s ok

The conferences unanimously approved the current rules. If UNC themselves didn't, well there are channels for them to discuss this or discuss with their conference leadership a change in the rules. Personally, i don't give a crap if it's UNC or not. SU has been bitten by the eligibility issue multiple times.

The conferences unanimously approved the current rules. If UNC themselves didn't, well there are channels for them to discuss this or discuss with their conference leadership a change in the rules. Personally, i don't give a crap if it's UNC or not. SU has been bitten by the eligibility issue multiple times.
Yes SU has gotten massively bitten, doesn’t mean they should have and doesn’t mean this kid should have.

The NCAA changed their criteria in March of this year on 2-time transfers...

The new criteria are designed to curtail 2-time transfers, so transfers they were approving last year are now being denied.

Common sense in this kid's situation would dictate that he should be eligible to play for UNC (and I am certainly no UNC apologist), but the new cirteria do not take common sense into consideration.

The criteria should cover this kid's specific sort use case situation and allow for it.

It just goes to show how poorly rationalized and inadequate the new NCAA criteria are.

UNC's statement basically calls out the NCAA for behaving poorly as the sports governing body of their member institutions and inadequately applying proper governance to the student athlete and member institution in this situation.

This is not a new theme and can be reasonably argued that they are correct.

The NCAA changed the rules after unanimous vote of the 18 member conferences.

Y'all keep forgetting that the NCAA is the steward of the rules and regulations for the member institutions. The members have the power to make the changes. They don't. This is on the member institutions, not the NCAA.

Y'all keep forgetting that the NCAA is the steward of the rules and regulations for the member institutions. The members have the power to make the changes. They don't. This is on the member institutions, not the NCAA.
rules for thee but not for me

From this AP Article:
NCAA troubled by UNC criticism of handling of Walker waiver, says committee members received threats

“The Division I Board of Directors believes that NCAA staff and the committee are applying transfer waiver guidelines as intended by member schools and giving proper and full consideration to individual cases, including consulting a panel of licensed mental health experts for cases in which mental health is cited as a reason for transfer,” the board said. “These new guidelines were supported unanimously by all 32 Division I conferences in January, and prior to that were widely supported by member schools and coaches associations.”

Still, the NCAA’s stance has drawn criticism, including during the ABC national broadcast of UNC’s opener and even from North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper.

Walker was expected to be one of the Tar Heels’ top receivers this season, a key addition to a team with star quarterback Drake Maye.

I think the takeaway on all this is NCAA is not particularly good at developing comprehensive policies that equitably cover real-life use cases of student-athletes. The conferences also seem to not understand these needs. Otherwise, a player wouldn't be caught up in this sort of red tape becuase the governing body hadn't even considered the scenario and the guidelines don't cover it.

From this AP Article:
NCAA troubled by UNC criticism of handling of Walker waiver, says committee members received threats

I think the takeaway on all this is NCAA is not particularly good at developing comprehensive policies that equitably cover real-life use cases of student-athletes. The conferences also seem to not understand these needs. Otherwise, a player wouldn't be caught up in this sort of red tape becuase the governing body hadn't even considered the scenario and the guidelines don't cover it.

this, i certainly agree with, with on caveat - it's almost impossible to come up with all possible scenarios. Usually, however, the rules would give some guidance on possible exceptions. They apparently did not do that.

this, i certainly agree with, with on caveat - it's almost impossible to come up with all possible scenarios. Usually, however, the rules would give some guidance on possible exceptions. They apparently did not do that.

True, but seasons canceled due to covid is a pretty glaring policy omission.

You might even call it gross negligence on the NCAA.

The NCAA doing a crap job is certainly nothing new.

Last edited:
Who says UNC supported the current rules? Maybe they didn’t, I am sure it doesn’t take unanimous consent for it to pass.
The article below should answer your question:
“We have to have some guidelines, we have to have some guardrails,” Brown said to ESPN analyst and former Alabama quarterback Greg McElroy in July 2022. “If we just threw it out there, people are going to take advantage of lack of rules. And that’s kind of what happened to us. … And then you add the transfer portal which puts more pressure on them because now, if I don’t like what I’ve got — you [McElroy] didn’t have any choice, you were gonna stay at Alabama, you were gonna make it work. Now you say ‘I’m not staying man, I’m out of here.’ … We obviously have allowed too much freedom in some of those areas.”

Last edited:
The article below should answer your question:
“We have to have some guidelines, we have to have some guardrails,” Brown said to ESPN analyst and former Alabama quarterback Greg McElroy in July 2022. “If we just threw it out there, people are going to take advantage of lack of rules. And that’s kind of what happened to us. … And then you add the transfer portal which puts more pressure on them because now, if I don’t like what I’ve got — you [McElroy] didn’t have any choice, you were gonna stay at Alabama, you were gonna make it work. Now you say ‘I’m not staying man, I’m out of here.’ … We obviously have allowed too much freedom in some of those areas.”
Great find. Mack just whining because who he thought was going to be his number one receiver was suspended. Ncaa just enforces the rules. Just happy the rules are finally being enforced evenly against p5 schools instead of selectively.

Its his third school who cares I mean he should have gotten one and probably would have if he followed Sean to Colorado to play for Prime. He can still play for UNC next year.

From this AP Article:

So he already transferred 2x and wants special permission to transfer again ?
Cry me a river

Cry me a river

Yes, he transferred and then COVID happened and the team he transferred to canceled their season etirely and he never played once for them.

Yes, he transferred and then COVID happened and the team he transferred to canceled their season etirely and he never played once for them.
No. Covid happened while at his first school, 2020. They did play in 2021 but he decided to transfer to Kent St. for the 2021 and 2022 season. Second school. Had break out year and decided to transfer to NC. His third school.
People keep being up the rules changed. Not really correct. Second time transfers still having to sit without a waiver already existed prior to his transfer to NC. The only change was to limit the excuses for a waiver. The ncaa merely implemented and enforced the rule which was voted on by the member schools.

Cry me a river
UNC would be his 4th college. He committed and signed a national letter of intent to East Tennessee St in 2019 but suffered an injury before the season and opted not to enroll until 2020 where his scholarship still awaited. However he then transferred to North Carolina Central for the 2O20 season but their season was cancelled because of Covid. He again decided to transfer to Kent State for the 2021 season where he played in 8 games had 5 receptions for 124 yards. It was just last year in 2022 at Kent st where he suddenly blew up, having a great season. He then decided to leave early after Kent St’s football season to UNC, transferring this January before his transfer waiver had been approved, assured it would be by UNC. Everyone seems to ignore his signed NLI in 2019 where he personally opted to take a gap type year because of injury but transferred and how it has effected his transfer status to hope to play for a 4th school. His situation is pretty complicated.

UNC would be his 4th college. He committed and signed a national letter of intent to East Tennessee St in 2019 but suffered an injury before the season and opted not to enroll until 2020 where his scholarship still awaited. However he then transferred to North Carolina Central for the 2O20 season but their season was cancelled because of Covid. He again decided to transfer to Kent State for the 2021 season where he played in 8 games had 5 receptions for 124 yards. It was just last year in 2022 at Kent st where he suddenly blew up, having a great season. He then decided to leave early after Kent St’s football season to UNC, transferring this January before his transfer waiver had been approved, assuming it would be by UNC. Everyone seems to ignore his signed NLI in 2019 where he personally opted to take a gap type year because of injury but transferred and how it has effected his transfer status to hope to play for a 4th school. His situation is pretty complicated.
Wow If all of this is true just cry me a river. Pretty complicated but see no reason why the NCAA should have granted him an exemption. Quit friggin' whining UNC.

Wow If all of this is true just cry me a river. Pretty complicated but see no reason why the NCAA should have granted him an exemption. Quit friggin' whining UNC.
we would be losing our chit if this happened to Cuse...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom