The umps are missing calls left & right = Instant Replay | Syracusefan.com

The umps are missing calls left & right = Instant Replay

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
If major league doesn't institute instant replay like every other important sport does then they are crazy.

Case #1

Game one of the Yankee-Tiger series, inning two, bases loaded, two outs, Robinson Cano hits a shot off pitcher Doug Fister's hand, the ball ricochets to shortstop Jhonny Peralta who throws to first where umpire Rob Drake calls Cano out. No one in the broadcast booth knew that Cano was really safe. With all of their expensive high def gadgetry not one person caught it, nor commented on it. Robinson Cano beat the throw, how do I know, my Scientific Atlanta DVR provided by Time Warner showed it in plain sight.

When Cano's foot hit first base the ball was about one foot from Fielders glove. The Yankees should have gone up 1-0 and had the bases loaded for Mark Teixeira. You never know how big an inning the Yanks would have had.

In this game there was no scoring until the Tigers plated 2 in 6th inning.

That game is still on my DVR if anyone wants to see the play.

Case #2

cano-4_3_r560.jpg

Game two

Top of the eighth with the Tigers batting Peralta strikes out swinging, Alex Avila called out on strikes, Omar Infante singles on a line drive to center fielder Curtis Granderson. Austin Jackson singles on a ground ball to right fielder Nick Swisher, Omar Infante heads to 2nd makes a turn, Swisher's throw to second nails Infante by a foot. The umpire Jeff Nelson, who was running to get in position, blows the call. Kuroda gets replaced on the mound by Boone Logan. Pinch-hitter Avisail Garcia replaces Quintin Berry. Garcia singles on a soft line drive to right fielder Nick Swisher. Omar Infante scores. Austin Jackson to 3rd. Joe Gerardi calls in Joba Chamberlain and goes over to Nelson. After Joe blows off some steam the umpire throws him out of the game.
This never happens if he got the call right or they had replay. That call totally disrupted the game and lead to another run when Miguel Cabrera singled on a line drive to right field and Austin Jackson scored.

Some other general umpire complaints

In game two the home plate ump missed a call.

Jayson Nix batting in the bottom of the seventh with a runner at first base in the person of Nick Swisher. The score is 1-0 Tigers. Nix takes a swing and hits the catchers glove. This is a catchers interference and Nix should be awarded first base giving the Yanks first & second.. One of the commentators said the bat may have hit the glove but they never revisited the replay nor talked about what the resulting call should have been.

I guess since the batter and the Yankees coaching staff said nothing about the glove interference there would be no replay.

Another gripe

Ichiro Suzuki was the lead off batter in the 8th inning facing Phil Coke who threw ball one, then threw one out of the zone that was called a strike. The count went to 1-1, Coke then threw another ball. The count should have been 3-0. Suzuki flied out

Next up came one of the several struggling Yanks, Robinson Cano, the ump called 2 quick strikes on him, both were way out of the zone. On the next pitch Cano had to flail at a curve ball which he hit weakly to the infield.

How about the butt crack fan who prevented Mark Teixeira from catching a foul ball in the stands. Wouldn't you know he was wearing and ARod jersey. There was a runner on 3rd base who may or may not have scored on a tag up.

The play & Mr. Butt Crack

Ump admits he made a bad call, Yankees' Joe Girardi wants more use of instant replay

Leyland & Gerardi on the call

This stuff cracks me up, the yankees get more blown calls in their favor than any other team, now a couple go against the yankees and all of a sudden theres a huge outrage about instant replay. god forbid the yankees dont get every call. was girardi bitching about replay when mauer's "foul" ball in the playoffs in 2009 was obviously fair?

Let's not forget the NL Wild Card game.

Re: SU2NASA

"The best part is, that call ended up not meaning anything.

Anything for Yankee fans to bitch about."

I disagree with that statement. I'm assuming you are referring to the play at second that resulted in two more Tiger runs not the Cano call at first that cost the Yankees at least one run in game one.

There is a huge difference when a game is 1-0 rather than 3-0 in the 8th inning.

There is a huge difference when your manager is in the clubhouse rather than the dugout.

I'm for getting calls right no matter who is playing, no matter the sport, no matter the team. Have always felt that way whether or not I have a rooting interest or not.

Going back to that infamous play in the KC-St. Louis, game six in 1985 where Don Denkinger blew a call at first that turned the World Series.

With instant replay the right call is made and maybe there is a different winner in that World Series.

As a result of that horrendous call Denkinger, who up until that time was one of the most respected umpires in the game, lived for several years with death threats.

One letter stated "If I ever see you in person, I'm going to blow your head off with a .357 Magnum.

The FBI even had to step in and investigate.

Such a colossal waste of time and human resources when instant replay could have prevented all of that from happening.

ugh, I had thought better of my post and not getting into it with Yankee fans. I didn't read a word of your post and don't care.

I'll leave you with a Go get 'em Tigers!

ugh, I had thought better of my post and not getting into it with Yankee fans. I didn't read a word of your post and don't care.

I'll leave you with a Go get 'em Tigers!
It wasn't just about Yankees-Tigers

They need to deep six that graphic showing whether the ball was in or out of the strike zone. I think it may have been game 1 of the Tigers' series where I noticed the freaking graphic consistently wasn't even close to where the ball was.

It wasn't just about Yankees-Tigers

That's the genesis of all of this b.s.

The Yankees got screwed out of a call, time to change the rules! If that happened to anyone else in baseball, no one would care. Armando Gallaraga gets screwed out of a perfect game and the next day Tigers fans applaud Jim Joyce on the field. Yankee fans would have thrown batteries and sent threatening letters to his family; or Phillies fans, or Cardinals fans, or any other team in baseball. This is why Tiger fans are the best in major league baseball.

Watching Sportscenter this morning I almost forgot who the Yankees were playing. You'd have thought they lost 3-2 and that call was the difference. I was waiting for a chorus of 'We Shall Overcome'.

IMO it's very frustrating that MLB does not extend it's use of replay for safe/out calls. It seems like it would benefit the product and save time vs. having managers/coaches belly aching.

the hardest part about baseball and replays is figuring out what to do when the calls are reversed, where do runners go and how does it effect the rest of the current play..

case in point. runner on first ground ball to first , first basemen runs with ball to bag runner ruled safe, 1B then throws to 2nd who misses runner but is standing on base so runner ruled out and runner never touches 2nd and leaves field passing runner on 3rd.

but wait replay shows runner on first was out, thus now a force play at 2nd is gone, tag was never made, but runner left field and passed another runner. is he out/safe goes back to 2nd? rest of play never happens? but what if runner on 3rd then takes off for home and scores? do some runners get continuation and others just get a reset.

what if a play causes two players to end up on same base where do they go?

ie bases loaded runner on 2nd gets picked off, runner on 3rd never moves runner on 2nd called out in rundown and runner on first goes to 2nd.. then replay shows runner never tagged in rundown? do we send a guy back to first, do we force in a run?

umpires will need to get trained to make calls in certain ways to make the replays that overturn the plays less on an issue. ie always call close foul balls fair

There are valid arguments for it I suppose. I don't think other sports using it is one of them. I used to be all for it in the NFL but not anymore.
Honestly how many games in the last 14 years has replay saved the "wrong" team from winning? Just about none imo. The Pittsburgh-Seattle Super Bowl was still an abortion.
Pass interference impacts the outcome of games more than any other call and that's not reviewable. So if Team A gets screwed on a couple of those, who cares if they get a bad call that goes their way based on some dumb reviewable technicality (Gee I dunno if this guy made "a football move before fumbling" - great, I don't care).
In baseball I suppose balls&strikes are the pass interference. I'm fine with having machines call those but otherwise don't care if the guy was out or safe at 2nd base.
Maybe get better umps? At least refs in other sports have to watch multiple things at once. These arrogant D'bags in baseball with their powerful unions get paid to do basically one thing - make calls at 2nd base and if they can't do that right that's just pathetic.

Of course the Yankees can't really complain because of the runners they left in scoring position in both games. But it's not like these are blow-out games to begin with. Both games were tight (scoreless) into the 7th inning and both games had umpire calls that directly affected the game.

Oh btw, they do have instant replay on home runs now, partially as a result of the Jeffrey Maier interference in 1996.

That's the genesis of all of this b.s.

The Yankees got screwed out of a call, time to change the rules! If that happened to anyone else in baseball, no one would care. Armando Gallaraga gets screwed out of a perfect game and the next day Tigers fans applaud Jim Joyce on the field. Yankee fans would have thrown batteries and sent threatening letters to his family; or Phillies fans, or Cardinals fans, or any other team in baseball. This is why Tiger fans are the best in major league baseball.

Watching Sportscenter this morning I almost forgot who the Yankees were playing. You'd have thought they lost 3-2 and that call was the difference. I was waiting for a chorus of 'We Shall Overcome'.

That's absurd. At the beginning of every game the Yankees fans begin to cheer ARod all over again. They're not fire breathing honeybadgers drooling over the chance to throw things on the field (Braves fans are though). If that was the Tigers they would boo him before his first at-bat!! This is why Yankees fans are the best in major league baseball!

Gallaraga was a nice Hallmark movie kind of human interest story and the fans of any team would have cheered.

Everyone argued for the rule change after that Gallaraga incident btw, they didn't start cheering the next day because they changed their mind and wanted to keep good ole' fashioned umpiring alive - they cheered because Joyce/Gallaraga got together, shared a moment, and the press wrote all about it.

Your whole post is ridiculous. Is that really why the Tigers fans are the best in baseball? Because they did something every other teams fans would have done - even Phillies fans would have applauded.

The reason MLB always gives for not expanding replay is that it will disrupt pace of play. If they had the guts to institute a pitch clock games would be of tolerable length and, even with reviews, hopefully conclude in 2:30-2:45.

Institute a 30 second pitch clock. Give each pitcher 3 warnings per inning if they go over, and then assess a ball. Similarly, allow each batter a max of one TO per AB. Phase it in over 5-7 years, beginning in A-ball so players become accustomed to it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom