The Upside- Colgate | Syracusefan.com

The Upside- Colgate

SWC75

Bored Historian
- The fever broke. After Colgate led much of the first half, banking threes while we were clanging them, JB ordered his men to get the ball to Tyus, who began penetrating the Raider defense and scoring. Hughes followed with some big threes. The press produced some lay-ups. We went on an 18-0 run to take control and won decisively, if not easily. JB said after the game “it’s amazing. When you begin to make shots, everything starts to become balanced.”

- When we started scoring, we started doing everything else better and with more energy. Our defense improved. We got to more rebounds and loose ball. We passed the ball better and looked for the open man. Everything was better.

- Battle wound up with 24 points, 16 in the second half, on 8 for 10 shooting, including 3 of 3 from the arc. Nobody on Colgate could stay with him.

- Hughes was 3 for 5 from the arc, including 2 in a row to break it open and scored 17 points with 6 rebounds. He also had a tremendous steal and lay-up.

- Oshae Brissett again had trouble finishing until a late three point play. But he was aggressive the whole game and only attempted one three. He wound up with 17 points and 9 rebounds.

- Bourama Sidibe must have bene reading the board, where someone said he was unlikely to make future contributions. He played most of the game as Chukwu sustain an early injury. He scored 11 points, pulled down 10 rebounds and made 3 steals. It was his second best career game to the Pittsburgh game last year. Hopefully, there will be more to come.

- At one point the score was Wil Raymon 13, Syracuse 12. The final on that was Wil Raymon 13, Syracuse 77.

- We crushed them on the boards, as we should have, 46-30 and were +7 on turnovers, (9-16).

- Frank Howard was only 1 for 5 from the field, (his only 3 points), But he had 5 assists and 3 steals, controlled the pace and got the ball to the right people. It makes as a difference to have your #1 guy in there.

3-2 and with 26+ to go

LET’S GO ORANGE!

Good summary of the game. I totally agree with the steadiness Frank seemed to finally instill in the team, though it took a bit. Good back to basics with Battle taking it to the hoop and Brissett finally getting a few to fall inside. Oshae sure had his chance to score inside, most rebounds on his shots. One point I seen as an upside, is Dolezaj back doing what he did for us last year. Just flat making it happen. Passes, defense, tipped rebounds and deflecting passes, even taking one rebound full court for a basket. Whether at center or forward, he was the glue we always speak about.

Geee, maybe the old man who the game has passed by is right after all, making shots makes the game easier.

Geee, maybe the old man who the game has passed by is right after all, making shots makes the game easier.

That you should get points for putting the ball in the basket was one of Naismith's better ideas.

753_110340225103.jpg

My upside(Backside[tm]): SU has not lost the title belt of NY's College Basketball Team(TM) yet! If nothing else, I'd at least like to keep one title belt (that the University has TMed lol) in case we dont win any other championships this season. (Like Green Bay future HOF QB Aaron Rodgers, I thoroughly enjoy doing the title belt gesture).

As SWC pointed out in The Downside, Colgate is coming off a record season, so maybe they are less cupcake than usual. Maybe a lower carb recipe.

Not sure what was the impetus, but it seemed like the team did a collective shake in the second half and shook off the residual rust and funk and it was like a switch turned on... And BAM... There is the team we've been expecting all early season and they immediately put heel on throat of Colgate.

What an odd early season... Like the car started, misfired and we let it run minus one cylinder for a while, gurgling and spitting, and someone finally re-started the engine and it immediately came back up on all cylinders... Night and day.

To state the obvious (at least to me), the offense seem to run better with Sidibe in. He seemed to aggressively want the ball more than Chewie and the team seemed more willing to give it to him. JB likes Chew's D better but it doesn't fall of much with Sid. I think that O/D +/- favors Sid. Hard to believe MD only had 4 pts, looked to be everywhere. And lastly didn't see the Howard/Carney/Battle lineup JB spoke about after Oregon. Would have like to see that. To me Battle is a better college 3 than Huges.

Not sure what was the impetus, but it seemed like the team did a collective shake in the second half and shook off the residual rust and funk and it was like a switch turned on... And BAM... There is the team we've been expecting all early season and they immediately put heel on throat of Colgate.

What an odd early season... Like the car started, misfired and we let it run minus one cylinder for a while, gurgling and spitting, and someone finally re-started the engine and it immediately came back up on all cylinders... Night and day.

I hope it doesn't work out like this next week:

To state the obvious (at least to me), the offense seem to run better with Sidibe in. He seemed to aggressively want the ball more than Chewie and the team seemed more willing to give it to him. JB likes Chew's D better but it doesn't fall of much with Sid. I think that O/D +/- favors Sid. Hard to believe MD only had 4 pts, looked to be everywhere. And lastly didn't see the Howard/Carney/Battle lineup JB spoke about after Oregon. Would have like to see that. To me Battle is a better college 3 than Huges.

I didn't see the Howard/Carney/Battle line up either. ;)

You can pinpoint the moment that it just “clicked”

It seems every year we end placing ourselves squarely behind the eight ball at some point but this year we did it early on. Before the season started many of us had visions of sweeping through the non conference schedule either undefeated or maybe one loss. After 4 games we are already at two losses. The Colgate game righted the ship a bit but once again here we are with no room for error. We only play 3 non conference games out of the Dome and we already lost the first two. They will surely cost us a ranking or two if we get to the NCAAT. Lets not sweat it out at bubble time again. Keep the good vibes from the second half last night flowing. LGO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom