The Upside- Colgate | Syracusefan.com

The Upside- Colgate

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Judah Mintz had a good game with 20 points, 4 rebounds, 2 assists and 2 steals. he used his quirky moves to the basket to good effect. However, I got the impression that he will tend to take over games when nothing else seems to be working for us. When the whole team is playing well, I think Mintz will settle back into more of a traditional point guard, scoring when the opportunities present themselves. When he decides he has to do all the scoring, it will be a sign that we are playing poorly and a probably loss.

- Benny Williams had an “up” game with 17 points, 8 rebounds. He made 6 of 12 shots and even canned a three pointer. The arc on his shot appears much improved. He, (he’s supposed to be 6-9 or 6-10 now), should make a strong 1-2 punch on the front line as the season progresses.

- I think a good mid-major like Colgate actually has an advantage in the early season over a program like Syracuse. They are much more likely to keep their players for four years while are can jump to the pros or transfer to another schools. We always seem to be introducing a new line up of either young players or transfers who have never played together before and are adapting to a new level or play and to our system. We might be a better team by the end of the year, (last year we wound up slugging it out with North Carolina and Duke and blowing away Florida State), but in these early season games, they are playing a better brand of ball than we can.

- Could Matt Langel be auditioning for the SU job? Hmmmm….

1-1 with 29+ to go

LET’S GO ORANGE!!!

- Judah Mintz had a good game with 20 points, 4 rebounds, 2 assists and 2 steals. he used his quirky moves to the basket to good effect. However, I got the impression that he will tend to take over games when nothing else seems to be working for us. When the whole team is playing well, I think Mintz will settle back into more of a traditional point guard, scoring when the opportunities present themselves. When he decides he has to do all the scoring, it will be a sign that we are playing poorly and a probably loss.

- Benny Williams had an “up” game with 17 points, 8 rebounds. He made 6 of 12 shots and even canned a three pointer. The arc on his shot appears much improved. He, (he’s supposed to be 6-9 or 6-10 now), should make a strong 1-2 punch on the front line as the season progresses.

- I think a good mid-major like Colgate actually has an advantage in the early season over a program like Syracuse. They are much more likely to keep their players for four years while are can jump to the pros or transfer to another schools. We always seem to be introducing a new line up of either young players or transfers who have never played together before and are adapting to a new level or play and to our system. We might be a better team by the end of the year, (last year we wound up slugging it out with North Carolina and Duke and blowing away Florida State), but in these early season games, they are playing a better brand of ball than we can.

- Could Matt Langel be auditioning for the SU job? Hmmmm….

1-1 with 29+ to go

LET’S GO ORANGE!!!

I've been piling on the negative, so I'll add to the positivity - Joe has really focused on his shot selection even though it may not seem like it.

He has 25 FGAs. 18 have been threes. He's made 8. He's only 1 of 7 from 2, but he's kept those two point attempts down.

Judah is the reverse - he is focusing on twos vs threes. He's only 2-4 from three with also 25 attempts total from the field.

At the least, it seems J+J have an awareness of where there strengths lie in shooting.

Hima doesn't set great picks, but gives it his all, if that makes sense. They are super sloppy, but the kid throws his body in the way of the oncoming defender to help Joe and Judah. The kid plays selfless. Just needs to tighten up his form.

I appreciate you saving me some time because I wanted to point out the games Benny and Judah played. Judah passed up a few open 3's and Benny didn't. Other than that both played hard and produced.

And I'd be fine with a Lengel hire if they go outside. I'm sure that would send others into seizures though.

As bad of a loss as this was, I really forgot the positives so thanks for the reminder, SWC. I liked what I saw from Judah and Benny did a lot of good things.

Definitely Benny's best game - now he needs to put together multiple good games in a row. Nobody is consistent on this team. You think Symir turns a corner and then plays like he did last night which was ...not good. Jesse floats in and out. Joe floats in and out. First person to play back to back good games is ahead of anyone else.

Every time I try and look at the positive, something else brings me to reality.

Colgate lost to Buffalo. Buffalo is a bad basketball team. They lost by 35 to JMU and 20 to UConn

Every time I try and look at the positive, something else brings me to reality.

Colgate lost to Buffalo. Buffalo is a bad basketball team. They lost by 35 to JMU and 20 to UConn

Last year, Colgate started 4-10 including losses to Northeastern and Lehigh. Then they won 19 of 20 before losing to Wisconsin by 7 in the NCAAs. They get up for us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom