The Upside - Lehigh | Syracusefan.com

The Upside - Lehigh

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Well, now I feel a lot better. We looked like a basketball team instead of a bunch of players going 1 on 1.

- We beat a team 90-72, that beat Colgate 85-81 last year, which makes me feel better about next week. (I’m going to ignore that Colgate came back to beat them, 62-78 and 61-81.)

- Jesse Edwards had played in low gear during the exhibitions, not even jumping to score and finessing too many lay-ups. In this game he went out there to dominate and Lehigh had no answer for him. Jesse had 18 points and 11 rebounds, blocked three shots and had an assist, which doesn’t really show how well he moved the ball around. He’s a good passer and would have had more assists if his teammates took advantage of his passes. Jesse avoided fouling by staying on his feet and using his size to stop shots and drive. That’s what he was doing a couple of years back when we had that good NCAA run. It was the first game where he seemed to pick up where he left off last year when the had started to dominate in the ACC.

- People wondered how Joe Girard would respond to being the focal point of the defense. Joe has been our leading scorer in every game so far. And this was his best one, scoring 19 points, 4 for 6 from the arc and 5 for 5 from the line. A Downside withing the Upside: One thing that isn’t working is trying to drive into the paint, (as the 6-6 Buddy Boeheim used to do). Joe was 1 for 4 inside the arc with 3 turnovers. At a wishful 6-1, even Lehigh was able to surround him with taller guys and cut off not only shots but passing lanes.

- Judah Mintz had an ‘up’ game after a very down game against SNH. He scored 16 points on 6 for 9 shooting, (all inside the arc) and had 3 assists. Nothing looks smooth: he’s all arms and legs but it makes sense in the end. At least it did tonight.

- Neither Benny Williams or Maliq Brown has a jump shot but Maliq knows it. Both player are in the flow of the game but benny is swimming upstream while Maliq is floating downstream. Everything he does looks easy. He knows what’s going on around him and doesn’t try to do anything he can’t do. He had 7 points, 3 rebounds and a steal in 13 minutes. Benny had 2 points, 3 rebounds and a block in 23 minutes.

- Symir Torrance is determined not to be forgotten in the hype about the new guys. He scored 10 points, including a three, 6 rebounds and 3 assists in 22 minutes. Like Maliq, he never does anything he can’t do and plays under control, avoiding mistakes. (He did over-penetrate on one play and a desperation pass was picked off. Nobody’s perfect.)

- Qadir Copeland had three turnovers but he also scored 6 points with 2 rebounds and an assist in 11 minutes.

- I love Mounir Hima. He has Frank Anselem’s dimensions and his per 40 stats last year were similar. Frank was an excellent rebounder but he didn’t’ score much and didn’t block shots. Hima’s long, snake-like arms crushed two shots and altered several more and he had a couple of points and a couple of rebounds in 8 minutes. He will be a very good back-u center, despite the fact, (or maybe because of), that his skill set is different. The one similarity is that they can eat basketballs before they find the hoop, which will frustrate a lot of teams.

- Even John Bol Ajak played well, hitting a jump shot, getting another point at the foul line and passing for an assist.

1-0 with 30 to go

The thing that impressed me was the way Jesse ran the floor. That alley oop was a thing of beauty. Lehigh grabbed him so much that in some cultures he'd be married to one of them now. He's got better hands and footwork than last year. He looks physically stronger. I think the Europe thin really paid off.

Are we talking the same Judah? I thought he was smooth as silk.

Going back to the days we played in the old Archie gym, I can't remember a team this deep at SU. I'm not suggesting they are the best team we've ever had for sure. We just have more talent off the bench then I've ever seen.

PS: I've said it for three years and I'll say it again. Every time JG puts the ball on the floor I hold my breath.

The thing that impressed me was the way Jesse ran the floor. That alley oop was a thing of beauty. Lehigh grabbed him so much that in some cultures he'd be married to one of them now. He's got better hands and footwork than last year. He looks physically stronger. I think the Europe thin really paid off.

Going back to the days we played in the old Archie gym, I can't remember a team this deep at SU. I'm not suggesting they are the best team we've ever had for sure. We just have more talent off the bench then I've ever seen.

PS: I've said it for three years and I'll say it again. Every time JG puts the ball on the floor I hold my breath.

You must have had your eyes closed for all of the 2012 season then.

That team’s 2nd five was:
MCW
Dion
CJ
Southy
Baye

2 NBA lottery picks (plus MCW was ROY), plus 3 awesome 4-year program guys.

I like all these young guys, but there’s no way they’re in the same stratosphere as the 2012 bench guys.
Yet.

You must have had your eyes closed for all of the 2012 season then.

That team’s 2nd five was:
MCW
Dion
CJ
Southy
Baye

2 NBA lottery picks (plus MCW was ROY), plus 3 awesome 4-year program guys.

I like all these young guys, but there’s no way they’re in the same stratosphere as the 2012 bench guys.
Yet.
Thank you for the snarl free way you responded to my post. If the "IGGY AWARD" is related to Igor you deserve it. As I said, "that I remember". Before this season is over, it might not be a question.

Lehigh grabbed him so much that in some cultures he'd be married to one of them now.
^^^
Good one!

Thank you for the snarl free way you responded to my post. If the "IGGY AWARD" is related to Igor you deserve it. As I said, "that I remember". Before this season is over, it might not be a question.

You also said "Going back to the days we played in the old Archie gym", so your memory surely goes back to 2012.

I would describe Judah as "kinetic". Sy is "smooth" and Malig defines it. It's playing in the flow of the game and making plays that look easy, rather than making plays that look hard.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom