The Upside - Louisville | Syracusefan.com

The Upside - Louisville

SWC75

Bored Historian
- When the season began, we knew that this part of the schedule would be a gauntlet. Louisville isn’t Florida State but they have the talent to put a big game together at any point and they did it against us. It’s not these games that are killing Scott Shafer’s tenure here. It’s the Virginia and Pittsburgh games. Those games were there to be won and we were ahead through most of them. If we’d won those, we’d be 5-4 right now and the situation would be very different. But we let them slip away and the season- and maybe Shafer’s career here- with them.

- One of many stats that seem important but didn’t turn out to matter: We held them to 1 for 9 on third downs. Downside inside the upside: we were 4 for 18. We had twice as many third down plays but they had more first downs, 13-23. We stopped them on third down but didn’t do a good job of producing third down plays.

- We had fewer penalties, 4 for 20 yards compared to 9 for 84. And none of ours were particularly stupid or ill-timed. (See how I’m stretching this?)

- We led in time of possession, (the most over-rated stat in this sport) 33:54 to 26:06.

- Eric Dungey sure has a knack for floating the ball down the sideline and into a receiver’s hands. A very catchable ball. (Unfortunately he throws the quick sideline pass the same way.)

- Dungey showed some increasing smarts about throwing his body around, sliding like the was trying out for the Kansas City Royals on several occasions. (Unfortunately he did get banged up trying extend a scramble on third down late in the game when he probably didn’t need to be in there anymore.)

- Just a word of advice: Don’t root at the team. Root for them. Be frustrated but skip the anger. It’s not about what they owe you. We are rooting for their dreams to come true. It’s not only appropriate because they put so much more into this than we do. It’s easier on us if we realize it’s about them. Otherwise, you just wind up adding it to the problems in your life and the combined resentment of those problems comes out at the team- and the coach. And feeling resentment, no matter how much you think it’s justified, just isn’t good for you. Feel disappointed and frustrated and hope things will get better in the future. Stop it there. Do that and you’ll feel better now and in the future.

3-6 with 3 or 4 to strive for!

LET’S GO ORANGE!!!!

Last edited:
- Just a word of advice: Don’t root at the team. Root for them. Be frustrated but skip the anger. It’s not about what they owe you. We are rooting for their dreams to come true. It’s not only appropriate because they put so much more into this than we do. It’s easier on us if we realize it’s about them. Otherwise, you just wind up adding it to the problems in your life and the combined resentment of those problems comes out at the team- and the coach. And feeling resentment, no matter how much you think it’s justified, just isn’t good for you. Feel disappointed and frustrated and hope things will get better in the future. Stop it there. Do that and you’ll feel better now and in the future.

Thanks, SWC.

I read your Upside/Downside comments after every game and find them to be very well written and interesting. I look forward to them every week. Thanks for doing them!

One more thing.

I'm a very long time Syracuse fan. Back to the Bernie Custis and Avatus Stone days. I don't recall this much vitriol directed at our own teams in the past. Perhaps in the past couple decades. But not so much before. Opponents and rivals. But seldom any Syracuse team. They are our guys. We want them to win. And we suffer with them when they lose, coaches as well as players.

I attribute at least some of this anger to the growing sense of entitlement we have all come to expect. Winning is the norm. Losing is an anomaly. When we lose it's a personal affront. We have been treated unfairly and we need to find somebody to blame.

Last edited:
One more thing.

I don't recall this much vitriol directed at one's own teams in the past. Opponents and rivals, perhaps. But never any Syracuse team. They are our guys. We want them to win. And we suffer with them when they lose, coaches as well as players.

I attribute at least some of this anger to the growing sense of entitlement we have all come to expect. Winning is the norm. Losing is an anomaly. When we lose it's a personal affront. We have been treated unfairly and we need to find somebody to blame.

Spoken like a loyal Cubs fan. :)

I've been a fan of the Cubs ever since I moved to Chicago in 1966. Can you imagine getting angry every time they lost in the past half-century? I'd turn into a serial killer.

I hate cereal killers. Captain Crunch gets crunched. Cheerios with the little smiles wiped off their faces...

I've been a fan of the Cubs ever since I moved to Chicago in 1966. Can you imagine getting angry every time they lost in the past half-century? I'd turn into a serial killer.
Poor AccuRater! I've witnessed his downs with the Cubs over the past 30+ years! But now he's happy again!

One more thing.

I'm a very long time Syracuse fan. Back to the Bernie Custis and Avatus Stone days. I don't recall this much vitriol directed at our own teams in the past. Perhaps in the past couple decades. But not so much before. Opponents and rivals. But seldom any Syracuse team. They are our guys. We want them to win. And we suffer with them when they lose, coaches as well as players.

For our younger fans, this is how long ago the Bernie Custis days were:

Hmmm...a little trimming of this thread by the administrators since I last looked at it. I wonder what I missed...

For our younger fans, this is how long ago the Bernie Custis days were:

Thanks for posting the video. I knew Bernie played in the CFL. But not being a big fan of Canadian football, I lost track of him.

Very proud that one of the first African-American quarterbacks in major college football, if not the first, played for Syracuse.

Hmmm...a little trimming of this thread by the administrators since I last looked at it. I wonder what I missed...

Nothing. Just some childish ad hominem stuff. Admins did well by removing them.

Nothing. Just some childish ad hominem stuff. Admins did well by removing them.

This board has enough problems without adding hominem to it.

One more thing.

I appreciate that thought. May be a sense of entitlement. May also be an increased importance attached to winning. I could envision a time when it was more about the tradition, the ceremony/pomp, the getting together with alums ... maybe as much as it was about the game. Don't know b/c it was about winning for as long as I have rooted for the team (since '92.)

I appreciate that thought. May be a sense of entitlement. May also be an increased importance attached to winning. I could envision a time when it was more about the tradition, the ceremony/pomp, the getting together with alums ... maybe as much as it was about the game. Don't know b/c it was about winning for as long as I have rooted for the team (since '92.)

It's about wanting to win. It's not about demanding to win.

Nicely said SWC75. I believe the glass his half full, not virtually empty. It's hard moving up to a tougher conference. Just ask Rutgers how being in the Big 10 is working out for them so far. Perhaps Utah is a better example. Sure they suffered for a few years in the Pac 12, but they were patient and stayed the course. Now look at them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom