The Upside - Lousiville | Syracusefan.com

The Upside - Lousiville

SWC75

Bored Historian
- This team never gives up. Guts galore and that’s what we need. We just need to make the plays down the stretch to win the game.

- Tyler Lydon was a workhorse: 14 points 9 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 steals and 3 blocks. And he was battling 2-3 guys on every play.

- Shooters gotta shoot and scorers gotta score. Andrew White couldn’t throw it in the ocean for much of the game but he hit the three that ended our drought in the OT and began our final comeback. He score d11 of our 14 points in OT. He wound up the team’s leading scorer with 22, his seventh straight game with 20+ points. He was smart and versatile enough to take it inside when it wasn’t happening outside and went 5 for 10 from two point range and got to the lien where he went 6 for 6.

- John Gillon did some bad things in this game but some good things, too. He hit the three that broke our late second half drought and in our 10-3 run at the end of regulation, he scored 8 opf those points and had a steal.

- Taurean Thompson again came out on fire in the second half, scoring 11 points of our first 15 in the first 8:33. Thompson went out with his 4th foul with 6:14 left and didn’t return except for a brief appearance in OT. He hadn’t scored in 6 minutes but our horrible drought began about the time he left the game.

- Frank Howard had another decent game with 8 points on 3 for 4 shooting, including a three. He had only 2 assists and 3 turnovers but we’ll take what we can get with Frank.

- Tyler Roberson's teammates were 12 for 13 from the line. John Gillon broke the SU record for consecutive makes. he's up to 36 now. (I can't help feeling that when he does miss, it's going to be in a critical situation.)

- The schedule slackens off now, not in caliber of opposition but in time between games and we badly need that. We don’t play again until Sunday, then Wednesday, then Sunday, then Saturday. That’s 5, 2, 3 and 5 days between games to rest up. For a thin team with some banged up and sick players, that will be a blessing.

16-11 (8-6) with 4+ to go

LET’S GO ORANGE!

Last edited:
- This team never gives up. Guts galore and that’s what we need. We just need to make the plays down the stretch to win the game.

- Tyler Lydon was a workhorse: 14 points 9 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 steals and 3 blocks. And he was battling 2-3 guys on every play.

- Shooters gotta shoot and scorers gotta score. Andrew White couldn’t throw it in the ocean for much of the game but he hit the three that ended our drought in the OT and began our final comeback. He score d11 of our 14 points in OT. He wound up the team’s leading scorer with 22, his seventh straight game with 20+ points. He was smart and versatile enough to take it inside when it wasn’t happening outside and went 5 for 10 from two point range and got to the lien where he went 6 for 6.

- John Gillon did some bad things in this game but some good things, too. He hit the three that broke our late second half drought and in our 10-3 run at the end of regulation, he scored 8 opf those points and had a steal.

- Taurean Thompson again came out on fire in the second half, scoring 11 points of our first 15 in the first 8:33. Thompson went out with his 4th foul with 6:14 left and didn’t return except for a brief appearance in OT. He hadn’t scored in 6 minutes but our horrible drought began about the time he left the game.

- Frank Howard had another decent game with 8 points on 3 for 4 shooting, including a three. He had only2 assists and 3 turnovers but we’ll take what we can get with Frank.

- The schedule slackens off now, not in caliber of opposition but in time between games and we badly need that. We don’t play again until Sunday, then Wednesday, then Sunday, then Saturday. That’s 5, 2, 3 and 5 days between games to rest up. For a thin team with some banged up and sick players, that will be a blessing.

16-11 (8-6) with 4+ to go

LET’S GO ORANGE!

I was pleased to see Frank get that and 1 call without it being a charge. Seems like he's always right on the edge with those plays, and usually on the wrong side of the edge.

according to the stats i'm looking at we still lead louisville in ACC attendance avg. 16189 to 15611.

according to the stats i'm looking at we still lead louisville in ACC attendance avg. 16189 to 15611.

Considering the Dome's capacity, or past seasons' figures, I am unsure if this is something I should be proud of? lol (seriously, I need some helpful advice here, people)

Considering the Dome's capacity, or past seasons' figures, I am unsure if this is something I should be proud of? lol (seriously, I need some helpful advice here, people)
Don't only take into account the dome capacity but also the city size. Louisville around 700,000. Syracuse 145,000. So figure the percentage of people attending the game. Undergrad pop about = (Louisville about 1000 more.)

Don't only take into account the dome capacity but also the city size. Louisville around 700,000. Syracuse 145,000. So figure the percentage of people attending the game. Undergrad pop about = (Louisville about 1000 more.)

Thanks, I appreciate that perspective. I still am less than enthused about hearing the Yum Center(tm) (or whatever it's called) catching up and getting so close. I wonder if there is a chance they overtake us before season's end?

I suppose I can say I may be a bit spoiled when it comes to reading these figures. Maybe I'm starting to understand what these entitled posters feel like? lol

Syracuse metro area is ~650k. Lousiville metro area is ~750k.

Louisville is #42 at 1,244,696, Syracuse #81 at 643,794.
United States Metropolitan Statistical Area Population - iWeblists

Third time is a charm, but I'm not going to retract my likes from the other 2. You're the guy I trust for stats.

Ok, now that that's cleared up, we can argue about the relative importance of each program to it's area. Is this even a tough argument? Are there as many other things to do in Louisville this time of year that would cause fans to miss the gane like in Syracuse on a monday night vs a top 10 opponent? ;) How does the student section on Louisville compare to that in Syracuse? Am I laughing too soon here?

I may be a die hard fan and have much more belief in this team than most, but I'm not a homer on every issue. This is one such example.

Wasn't Triche's record 37 consecutive made FTs?
Brandon Triche's free-throw streak ends at 37

(Don't tell Gillon that he still has to hit two more)

The SU Media Guide says his streak was 34, tied with Mike Lee in 1971-72.

I checked the 2011-12 Media Guide and it doesn't list a record for consecutive free throws at all. I looked at the box scores for that year's games, (also in the Media Guide). Triche went:

3 for 4 vs. Georgetown on 2/9/11
3 for 3 vs. Louisville on 2/12/11
4 for 4 vs. West Virginia 2/14/11
9 for 9 vs. Rutgers 2/19/11
2 for 2 vs. Villanova 2/21/11
6 for 6 vs. Georgetown 2/26/11
2 for 2 vs. DePaul 3/5/11
8 for 8 vs. St. John's 3/10/11
0 for 0 vs. Connecticut 3/11/11
3 for 4 vs. Indiana State 3/18/11

if you add up the totals from Louisville to Connecticut, they total 34 for 34. Amazingly, the play-by-play for the 2/9 Georgetown game still exists on ESPN's site: Georgetown vs. Syracuse - Play-By-Play - February 9, 2011 - ESPN It shows Triche missed the firs tof two free throws at 19:49 of the second half, made the second and made too more at 4:08. Strangely, ESPN doesn't have the play by play for the Indiana State NCAA game. But the article you linked said that Brandon missed the first of two at 15:23 of the second half. They were probably his first free throws of the game. Making the last three in the 2/9 Georgetown game would thus have given him 37 in a row. Whoever put the consecutive free throw information in the subsequent media guides must have just counted the games where he was perfect.

Last edited:
Whoever put the consecutive free throw information in the subsequent media guides must have just counted the games where he was perfect.

That would be just like the SUAD. Do the job in half arse fashion.

I was pleased to see Frank get that and 1 call without it being a charge. Seems like he's always right on the edge with those plays, and usually on the wrong side of the edge.
It was a charge, except that the defender was in the "no-charge zone". Had the defender been 6" more away from the basket, it's a charge. But I, like others, have been more than happy with Howard's output the last 2 games.

Shooters gotta shoot and scorers gotta score. Andrew White couldn’t throw it in the ocean for much of the game but he hit the three that ended our drought in the OT and began our final comeback. He score d11 of our 14 points in OT. He wound up the team’s leading scorer with 22, his seventh straight game with 20+ points. He was smart and versatile enough to take it inside when it wasn’t happening outside and went 5 for 10 from two point range and got to the lien where he went 6 for 6

The good news is that I doubt White is going to be this bad at shooting in the future. I don't think he could have had a worse shooting night. The other half of that good news is that we still kept it close despite White's horrible shooting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom