The Upside - LSU | Syracusefan.com

The Upside - LSU

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Most of the first half was a struggle as we weren’t hitting shots or getting calls but then Judah Mintz too over and got us to a five point lead at the half by making 8 free throws and a dunk in the last 5:58 minutes, 10 of our last 12 points. He then scored our first 12 points of the second half in the first 4:09. That 20 of 22 SU points in 10:07! That’s what a star player can do for you.

- But that only got us to 45-36 with 15 minutes to go. How long could we go with one player carrying the team? We didn’t have to find out because Chris Bell, wide open because of Mintz’s drives, went off with three pointers in 1:18 to blow the game open at 58-40. Their teammates finally got in on the act and the lead eventually reached 79-53 as we coasted to a 80-57 final.

- Red Autry wasn’t entirely happy to ‘coast’ to anything and called a time out when we had a couple of bad possessions to make that clear to the troops. A good sign.

- He was very happy about the rebounding, which has been a sore spot and was very much one early in this game. At one point we were down 11-20 on the boards. It wound up 43-36. And we got 17 offensive rebs after several games where we just seemed to give up on missed shots and drifted down court. McLeod and Brown got 5 each.

- Thanks to Chris Bell’s 6 of 10, another sore spot, our outside shooting, improved to 11 of 21 from three, (Mintz, Justin Taylor and Benny Williams hit the others).

- Bell also played well defensively and 3 assists with 2 rebounds, 1 steal and 1 block. I remember from his high school film that he loved blocking shots from behind on the break and he got one in this game.

- Naheem McCloud, facing a couple of 6-10 guys, only shot 2 for 7 but had 6 points and 6 rebounds with 3 blocks and steal in 19 minutes.

- Benny Williams hustled in his 14 minutes with 3 points, 4 rebounds 2 blocks.

- Maliq Brown, as usual, had a good game, scoring 7 points on 3 of 4 shooting and grabbing 9 rebounds with a block and 2 steals

5-2 with 24+ to go…

LET’S GO ORANGE!

Net Points

This year I’m going to make things a bit easier on myself and just list the net points in each game after the Upside. Once a month I’ll do a deeper dive into the numbers rather than doing a “Net Points, etc.” post after every game. ‘Net’ points is the positives (points, rebounds, assists, steals and blocks) minus the negatives, (missed field goals and free throws, turnovers and fouls committed).

Judah Mintz 32NP in 38 minutes
Chris Bell 17NP in 38 minutes
Maliq Brown 15NP in 19 minutes.
Naheem McLeod 9NP in 19 minutes
Justin Taylor 7NP in 26 minutes
Benny Williams 3NP in 14 minutes
Peter Carey 1NP in 1 minute
JJ Starling 1NP in 31 minutes
Quadir Copeland -1NP in 11 minutes
Kyle Cuffe -2NP in 3 minutes

Recruited players who did not play: Mounir Hima, William Patterson, Chance Westry

Great write up as usual, SWC. Pretty telling that there is not one mention of JJ in your post on the upside. I'm sure he's front and center in your downside (I have yet to read it).

- Most of the first half was a struggle as we weren’t hitting shots or getting calls but then Judah Mintz too over and got us to a five point lead at the half by making 8 free throws and a dunk in the last 5:58 minutes, 10 of our last 12 points. He then scored our first 12 points of the second half in the first 4:09. That 20 of 22 SU points in 10:07! That’s what a star player can do for you.

- But that only got us to 45-36 with 15 minutes to go. How long could we go with one player carrying the team? We didn’t have to find out because Chris Bell, wide open because of Mintz’s drives, went off with three pointers in 1:18 to blow the game open at 58-40. Their teammates finally got in on the act and the lead eventually reached 79-53 as we coasted to a 80-57 final.

- Red Autry wasn’t entirely happy to ‘coast’ to anything and called a time out when we had a couple of bad possessions to make that clear to the troops. A good sign.

- He was very happy about the rebounding, which has been a sore spot and was very much one early in this game. At one point we were down 11-20 on the boards. It wound up 43-36. And we got 17 offensive rebs after several games where we just seemed to give up on missed shots and drifted down court. McLeod and Brown got 5 each.

- Thanks to Chris Bell’s 6 of 10, another sore spot, our outside shooting, improved to 11 of 21 from three, (Mintz, Justin Taylor and Benny Williams hit the others).

- Bell also played well defensively and 3 assists with 2 rebounds, 1 steal and 1 block. I remember from his high school film that he loved blocking shots from behind on the break and he got one in this game.

- Naheem McCloud, facing a couple of 6-10 guys, only shot 2 for 7 but had 6 points and 6 rebounds with 3 blocks and steal in 19 minutes.

- Benny Williams hustled in his 14 minutes with 3 points, 4 rebounds 2 blocks.

- Maliq Brown, as usual, had a good game, scoring 7 points on 3 of 4 shooting and grabbing 9 rebounds with a block and 2 steals

5-2 with 24+ to go…

LET’S GO ORANGE!

Net Points

This year I’m going to make things a bit easier on myself and just list the net points in each game after the Upside. Once a month I’ll do a deeper dive into the numbers rather than doing a “Net Points, etc.” post after every game. ‘Net’ points is the positives (points, rebounds, assists, steals and blocks) minus the negatives, (missed field goals and free throws, turnovers and fouls committed).

Judah Mintz 32NP in 38 minutes
Chris Bell 17NP in 38 minutes
Maliq Brown 15NP in 19 minutes.
Naheem McLeod 9NP in 19 minutes
Justin Taylor 7NP in 26 minutes
Benny Williams 3NP in 14 minutes
Peter Carey 1NP in 1 minute
JJ Starling 1NP in 31 minutes
Quadir Copeland -1NP in 11 minutes
Kyle Cuffe -2NP in 3 minutes

Recruited players who did not play: Mounir Hima, William Patterson, Chance Westry

Clearly need more Carey. 1 np per minute can’t be topped.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom