The Upside - NC State | Syracusefan.com

The Upside - NC State

SWC75

Bored Historian
- We beat our nemesis NC State, who had won 13 of 16 previous meetings since the schools first played in 1972, (when a young Lou Holtz had beaten Ben Schwartzwalder). Actually, this is our seconds straight win in the series, since we last played them in the Dome in 2022 and won 24-9. Maybe the jinx is over.

- We won consecutive games played on the road for the first time since the 2012 team beat Missouri and Temple. The last time we won three of them was 1996 when we rolled against Boston College, West Virginia and Tulane. We could match that a week from Thursday against undefeated Pittsburgh.

- I don’t know is if this is an upside or a downside but it was the third game this year that we really out-played the other team by more than the final score would indicate – and they were against our three toughest opponents: Georgia Tech, which was 31-14 and wound up 31-28, UNLV, which would have been 38-24 except for the punt mess-ups and this game, which was 24-7 when we got the bad call on the guy who stepped out of bounds got a 75 yard TD followed by a 72 yard pass play featuring four missed tackles that led to a field goal. If we can tighten up the way we play in the 4th quarter and get some good officiating, we can start winning these games by more comfortable margins.

- It all starts with Kyle McCord, who passed for 300+ yards for the 6th time in 6 games, (the school record is 12 by Ryan Nassib in his four year career). Let’s not take him from granted.

- Zeed Haynes was supposed to be the Georgia transfer who would make all the difference. But Jackson Meeks has become McCord’s primary target in Zeed’s absence. He had 11 catches for 116 yards and a score in this game. But his biggest play was catching an onsides kick that bounced over his head. He jumped to get it and we were able to run the clock out and win the game.

- Justin Baron seems to have adjusted to playing linebacker in Marlowe Wax’s absence. In this game, he had 8 tackles, a sack, two TFLs and a fumble recovery and an interception. And what really kept this game under control, even beyond McCord’s passing, was the turnovers.

- LeQuint Allen was LeQuint Allen. 91 tough rushing yards on 21 carries and 1 score. Two catches for 28 yards.

- There was a Dan Villari sighting. 4 carries for 11 yards and a catch for 6 yards. It’s a start.

- Jack Stonehouse got off a punt. There didn’t seem to be much of a rush and I’m not sure whey we were punting instead of throwing a Hail Mary. But he got it off and it went 58 yards.

- But the DART award goes to Brady Denaburg, who leveled an NC State returner who had the temerity to return one of his kickoffs.

- It's always a plus when you can get the other team's fans to boo them - and make most of them leave before the game is over.

5-1 with 6+ to go

LET’S GO ORANGE !!!!

Last edited:
what continues to be extremely impressive is the efficiency of our offense, (even though we played poorly in the red zone today). another game with only one punt from Stonehouse. I think the most times he’s punted this year is three. I wish I could find a statistic on it, but he’s punted too few times to even be counted for stats. If someone knows how to look it up, I think we must lead the nation in fewest punts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom